Archive Page Category for Custom Post Types Gives 404

Question

Posted · Report post

My site runs a plugin that creates/uses a custom post type. The archive page for that custom post type displays the individual entries correctly and the meta data info like the author, date etc. are correct EXCEPT for the category.  Each individual post in the archive contains links to the standard WP post category not the custom post type category. 

So every category link in the archive gives a 404 as there are no corresponding post categories.

What I'd like to do is edit the category links so they reflect the custom post type.  If this can't be done how can I delete the link so it doesn't show up on the archive page?

I was also wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to create archive pages for each custom post type category?

Suggestions?

5 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

How did you create the custom post types and can you provide a link to the page in question please.

Also, am I understanding you correctly, you have created a custom post type and have it set to use categories ? If so, what the point in the CPT, why not just use the Post type ?

Posted · Report post

It's LearnDash a LMS plugin for Wordpress  that uses its own CPT.   an example of the archive page can be found here: http://www.mysmallbizuniversity.com/courses/ 

I'm trying to edit the links that are automatically created on that page.  Each Learndash course on the archive page shows the authors picture, the publish date and then the posts "category".  

I want that category to be the learndash CPT category not the WP post category.

Make sense?  

Posted · Report post

Yeah makes sense. However, I have just created a custom post type using the CPT UI plugin and have no such issue with my custom post type archive page. Therefore, as this is a premium plugin you will need to contact their support for assistance.

Posted · Report post

How do I edit those same fields shown by DMS for regular WP posts?  For example removing the publish date so it doesn't show?

Posted · Report post

Use the PostLoop section like you would your post but make sure you have the Type option (left hand panel) selected, this will then use your settings for that CPT only.