imported json file onto new site, unable to edit custom CSS, other issues

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I created a dummy site to design my website. Once I got it close to the way I wanted it, I used the import/export function to get the settings from the dummy site to the real site. Everything worked great except for two issues.

1) The custom CSS in the DMS editor transferred over, which is great. However, I am unable to make any changes to that custom css. In fact, I even tried to temporarily remove all custom css (saving in a text editor), published with no custom css in the DMS editor, but when I refresh the site, all of the original custom CSS comes back. I have tried to edit, delete, change, remove custom css--no matter what I do, all custom css stays the same way it was when I imported it. I am publishing after I make change. I tried flushing the caches...Not sure what else to do.

2) When I load my imported templates onto various pages, they work great for a little while, then after a few refreshes, the site seems to decide that it no longer wants to use the template that I have chosen for that particular page.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can fix this?

Great product, have really enjoyed it so far. Thanks in advance for your help!

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HI,

1. I have just added some custom CSS to a test site, then exported the JSON file, I then imported the file into a separate test site and I was able to edit and save the custom CSS. Therefore, your issue may be related to an error in your CSS, the saving issue some users are having, it could well be caused by a plugin(s) or your servers configuration.

I recommend you review your custom CSS and make sure its valid, and also disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools and see if this resolves your issue.

2. That sounds rather odd and in my opinion could be related to either a plugin especially a cache plugin or your servers configuration.

Can you try the suggestions I made in #1 and see if they resolve your issue(s).

If not, please enable PL debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced and reply here with a link to your site and we can take a closer look.

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried disabling all plug-ins except for the DMS Pro tools. Unfortunately, the same problem exists. What is the saving issue that other people are having? 

Here's a good example of what's happening re: custom css. I have added  "paddingicallout" code to my custom CSS, and then to my styling classes for the icallout button in my header. The code works great when I press "command return" while in the custom css, the icallout button is positioned directly in between the section above it and below. However, when I refresh the page, the iCallout moves up on the screen. If I go to the custom css, all of the proper iCallout code is there, and if I press "command return" the button moves where it is supposed to go.

Additionally, just to get the iCallout to stick in the custom CSS I had a re-add it close to 10 ten times--I kept publishing it, would refresh it, and it would disappear. The code is finally sticking, but now the changes that I make to that code won't properly display on a refresh--they only display if I go into the custom CSS and press "command return." Really strange.

In terms of the templates, sometimes when I load up my imported templates, everything is loaded correctly except a flipper section will be added to the mix. I have never used Flipper on my site. This is not as big a deal--I'm just deleting the section and moving on. But I wonder if it's connected to the CSS issue, and if it's related to import/export.

This site is still not being displayed to the public. I have enabled de-bug mode. Can i privately message you my site information? I'd rather not disable the coming soon mode at this time.

The attached picture shows where the iCallout button is positioned when I press "command return" from within the custom CSS interface.

[attachment=1782:Screen.Shot.2013.11.21.at.11.18.00.AM.png]

Posted · Report post

Here is where the iCallout position is when I refresh the page, it moves up. Also, I reviewed the custom code and found no errors.

[attachment=1784:Screen.Shot.2013.11.21.at.11.17.32.AM.001.jpg]

Posted · Report post

If you look in the wp admin area>PageLines>dashboard you'll see a additional area for the css/less in the DMS fallbacks. If you edit the code in here does this save/correct? This will help us determine if the problem is related solely to the DMS editor on the front end etc.

Posted · Report post

Hi James, Thanks for your reply. Editing the code in the fallbacks seems to be saving it correctly. Will I need to edit here from now on to make sure that the code sticks?

Unfortunately, problems still persist. here's an example. The code below is used to increase the top margin for icallout box in my header. If I am in the DMS editor and press "command enter" it makes margin-top: 8px, which is the correct spacing. When I refresh site, the 8px margin at the top disappears even though it's still in the code. Then, when I go back to the editor and press "command enter" the entire site gets distorted, almost like I am missing and "}" 

body .pl-area .pl-section {
.pl-section-pad
.paddingicallout {
.pl-section-pad {
      margin-top: 8px;
      margin-bottom: 0px;
}
}
  }

Posted · Report post

Also, to be clear, the entire site getting distorted doesn't happen all of the time, probably around 1/3 of the times I press "command enter."

Posted · Report post

Is .paddingicallout a custom class you've made?

I've placed the following in to the editor and saved and it's taken in both areas, try the below to see if it's saves differently to your code.

.section-icallout .pl-section-pad {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-top: 8px;
}

Posted · Report post

Hi James,

Thanks, yes that did work! And the code seems to be sticking in there for now!

ipaddingcallout was a custom class that I made.

Do you know why the Custom CSS stuff I was entering was not saving? Also, do I need to write code in the Fallbacks section from now on? 

Relatedly, it took 6 or 7 times to get a picture back in Depth Charge after I reset the plugins when I was first trying to troubleshoot. The picture, which uploads fine on the dummy site, would upload on this site but would not stick. In general, it seems like I'm not able to get stuff to stick in CSS or in sections. Could something have happened in the import?

I'm hoping to fix the saving/sticking issue because even though we're eventually finding fixes (thanks for iCallout fix!), it is more time consuming if stuff is not saving.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

The icallout code still works great, but unfortunately it has affected icallout on other pages that I have placed in different sections that are not in the header (I got too excited yesterday when it made the header do what I wanted it to do). This is why I originally made the custom class, so that I could target specific icallouts on my site.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do fix the saving/sticking issue. I'd like to be able to save custom classes, save code, and not have to continually add stuff that won't fully stick.

Thanks!