Website speed issue

Question

Posted · Report post

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain again.

Recently set this site up from MAMP : localbustorbay.com/localbus

I believe it to be the host, but would hugely appreciate if somebody could check and confirm it's not something I havn't done optimisation-wise for the DMS.

All the LESS is in the style.less and I have the Pro tools plugin running too, and Cloudflare as well and minification.

Naturally this speeds it up a hell of a lot, but when the CDN is turned off and we are editing the site live (no cache) I am getting loading times of about 1 minute which is insanely slow for a 1.1mb sized webpage!

Thanks guys

35 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Where is the site hosted? Impossible for us to tell when your behind a proxy.

Posted · Report post

Haha you're in Devon too!  It's hosted through Heart Internet if that's any help at all.  You would need Cloudflare turned off to check it effectively?

Posted · Report post

Well just the server IP would do to run a few tests... 

Posted · Report post

Thanks Simon, the IP is 176.32.230.22

Posted · Report post

Not much we can tell really.

The site *should* load pretty fast, as the css is cached to file so there isn't any issues there.

The best way to speed up a slow site if the problem is TTL is to use a page cache. All cloudflare does is cache dns lookups and pass static stuff like images/css/js etc through a CDN The actual page content though still comes from your server.

So, id suggest something like wp super cache, its easy to setup and if its running in .htaccess mode the static pages will load as fast as the web server can deliver them as PHP is never used.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for help Simon, we tried WP Super cache but the results were still similar, if not the same.

We have disabled Cloudflare and related plugins, moved the Nameservers back to our host and disabled WP Super Cache and cleared out the .htaccess file.

I have attached a speed test result, and am inclined to think it is our host delayed the site by 8-12 seconds before the site even loads.

I really appreciate any help you can offer as I really want to get to the bottom of whats causing the delays  :growl:

http://screencast.com/t/BC1EDPe7X

Posted · Report post

the time to first byte is normally database lag, or general server slowness.

If you want me to i'll log in and make sure super-cache is properly configured. If its serving static files that slow too then there is a deffo server bottleneck somewhere.

PM me a login if you want.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for that Simon, have PMed

Posted · Report post

Ok had a quick look, i think half the problem here is that super aggressive 'security' plugin you have installed. 

super cache needs rules added to .htaccess, but that plugin wont let it write its rules there, so the cache uses php to server files, which is very slow.

Posted · Report post

Hmm interesting, I have used that plugin on other sites and they are nothing like as slow as this one, included another much larger site hosted on the same server, with WP Cache installed too.  I will disable the WP Security plugin now and see if that makes any difference - do you have any recommended alternatives then for security plugins for Wordpress?

Also, how did you manage to login? haha.  The plugin obviously isn't that good...

Posted · Report post

:ph34r: Ninja powers ;)

Yea if you could just stop it hijacking the .htaacess file it would help.

As for security plugins ive never seen the need for any.

All i use is limit login attempts plugin. Everything else is common sense,like not using the 'admin' account etc. Those plugins are severe overkill, and i bet it wants you to subscribe for something too right?

Dont take this the wrong way, im not saying security is overrated, im just saying one massive kitchen sink security plugin is overkill.

Posted · Report post

Just a side note too Simon, the Wp Super Cache never returned any errors when trying to write to the .htaccess file, we had a green success notification.  The main worry we had was in the Content section where it mentioned that no files have been cached.... :/ 

Posted · Report post

Just a side note too Simon, the Wp Super Cache never returned any errors when trying to write to the .htaccess file, we had a green success notification.  The main worry we had was in the Content section where it mentioned that no files have been cached.... :/ 

Yes it probably IS writing to the htaccess file, but ermagurd security pro is probably rewriting it, probably thinks its doing you a favour too lol

Posted · Report post

Haha, ok then, interesting things 'coz you read so much in forums and SOOOO many people adore the Better WP Security one, and I've always found it to be good, but the way you got in so easily and have mentioned your points makes me feel somewhat differently.  So Ive taken the WP Security off, did you manage to check the Super Cache at all mate?  I do appreciate your time.  I assume there isn't much else we could have done wrong with WP Super Cache really?

We have launched so many Wordpress sites, a lot on PL 2.0 too, and never really had an issues like this one which is incidentally our first DMS site... I am not by any means trying to blame the DMS, but it's our current anomaly and we can't really help but think that if you see what I mean  :startle: :D

Any ideas what might be causing the files not to cache?

Posted · Report post

Just for reference dude, here(http://screencast.com/t/NPYeBfyrt1) is the results after removing WP Security and Re-applying WP Super Cache so the .htaccess file is now just 

# BEGIN WPSuperCache
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /localbus/
#If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*[^/]$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*//.*$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !POST
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !.*=.*
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Wap-Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
RewriteRule ^(.*) "/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index.html.gz -f
RewriteRule ^(.*) "/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index-https.html -f
RewriteRule ^(.*) "/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index.html -f
RewriteRule ^(.*) "/localbus/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/localbus/$1/index.html" [L]
</IfModule>

# END WPSuperCache

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /localbus/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Posted · Report post

is the htaccess file in the right place? you have wp in a folder right?

Posted · Report post

I've never been 100% sure where the .htaccess should go, either in the root or the subfolder, being that I am still referencing the site in a subfolder in the URL.  The last time I tried to use the DMS with the site URL pointing outside the subfolder, when the site files were in a subfolder, I had issues with the DMS functionality - so I had to return the URL and HOME URL back to the subfolder in order for the DMS to function correctly.

Posted · Report post

After trying a static html file on the server we are getting lightning fast loading times, so there is definitely something set up wrong with the DMS php page rendering time. :thumbsd:  So when you went into the WP Cache Settings and backend nothing stood out to you as being calibrated incorrectly? Still having no cached files. Thanks mate

Posted · Report post

Yea i dunno, are the html files being built at all? they should appear in the cache folder.

Posted · Report post

Yeah the pages appear to be being cached now, and the Cloudflare has been set up correctly.  The site is horrendously slow on DMS but so much faster on the other themes, it's just a shame I'm too late in the day now to be able to redesign the sites on the Wordpress themes to speed them up, the plugins are exactly the same too.

The complied CSS seems to not be being found now most times on refresh, but the styles do come in still... On some refreshes though the styles don't load at all and we are presented with the html and front end css from added DMS images, etc.

Posted · Report post

well if your using cloudflare+total cache, when you click save the css url is changed each time, so that has to resync with th cdn etc.

Also id really advice against the db and object cache on disk. unless you have an opcode cache like APC/memcached etc its extremly slow.

Posted · Report post

Thanks buddy,  We are getting big issues at the moment with W3 TC and it having trouble finding the latest 'complied-cc' as it is constantly looking for the url it was when we saved.  I noticed another couple of posts on here about the same issue, but for the DMS there seems to be no simple fix?

Posted · Report post

well we use w3 cache on the main site, with a CDN with zero issues.

Posted · Report post

Right ok... so it must be our settings.  I'm sure it will work but perhaps you have something in place to sort the CSS issue out that we don't?  There is clearly an issue with it trying to locate the old compiled-css123123123.css etc.  It's just how to overcome that link breaking that we are struggling with.

Posted · Report post

How does the DMS go about the recompiling?  I have Nicks' Base theme installed, and we just checked the upload > pagelines fodler and found 767 .css files, which appear to be being compiled even when we dont make a change to the css, but on page refresh when logged in for example.  767 is a hell of a lot?

Any help would be hugely appreciated