Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Template Update Question

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi guys

I have had a quick look on the forum and can't seem to see my issue addressed exactly, so I'll ask it on here.

I have seen some others with the same issue as me losing widgets or areas/classes when applying templates to certain pages, which is something I have begun to accept now with the DMS as it's happening across various sites.  I don't know if some of my issues are due to having quite a bit of LESS in the front end, too much for the complier to handle perhaps causing errors in other functions, as the cmd+enter stops working sometimes until I dump the LESS into style.less and it works again.

My biggest question though, is with the templates.

Say template 1 is running across 10 pages, it pulls in the info and that's all fine for them.  

All you really want from the template is the 'areas', and not the individual page settings for that page as every page is different.  This was never an issue in Pagelines Framework, but the DMS seems different.  

So lets say I have a page on frogs, and a page on golf, both set to template 1.  

I add another two widgets to the frog page with classes and settings I wish to use & then update with template 1.

How does this work, as the golf page updates with the frog pages custom settings/images/text, and not simply the difference from when I added template 1.  

My understanding is using templates in this fashion seems somewhat difficult if you then wish to update one in the future (kinda the point of a template), as the page you use to 'update configuration' will surely then override the other pages' settings on that template?

I hope I'm missing something, this was just never an issue in Pagelines Framework and confused me a bit on the DMS.

I trust this makes sense,  :D

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

If your going to add different sections to your frog page and don't want these changes on your golf page, then create a different template for each page ?

Posted · Report post

But the layout for both pages will follow the same template, and by creating separate templates for each page, does that not defeat the point of speeding up layouts with templates?

Posted · Report post

Hi there, the template will save the sections added across all pages using that template. So if you're adding an extra two sections to the template on one page, then they'll also appear on the other pages using that template as well. You'd need to create one template with the original layout, then another template with the additional two sections on to get them to display in that format without affecting each other.

Posted · Report post

Right I think I understand James thanks.

So I currently have 10 pages set to 'Route New'.  This template is applied to ten route pages, each with their own route map on the sidebar.

So now I wish to add two extra sidebar widgets globally to 'Route New', but I of course don't want to override each map currently set to each page - so you're telling me I would need to make ten templates, one for each page, simply because the maps differ on each page?

This seems odd if so as the previous Pagelines Framework before with the drag and drop meant you could create a 'frame' if you like, to then apply to each page and update accordingly.  It seems once you have applied the template, changes post-application mean a full setting override?

Cheers

Posted · Report post

If you're use widgets, then you do not need to create ten different templates, all you need to do is use a plugin such as Widget Logic, this plugin allows you to display certain widgets on a per page or post basis.

However, I have just created 5 pages, each of which is using the Default template. The default template is the same as any other DMS install apart from I have added a MediaBox section to the top of the Template area.

I then go to my Page One, in the MediaBox section settings, I add the following to the Text and HTML text area <h1>Boom Page One!</h1>. I then, go to my Page Two page, there you can see the MediaBox with <h1>Boom Page One!</h1>. However, if I change this to <h1>Boom Page Two!</h1> and click publish, the Page two page has that. But if go back to Page One, it still says <h1>Boom Page One!</h1> in the MediaBox.

So you can have different layouts on the same template for different pages, you can even have different sections on one page and not the others, as long as you do not update the template in the templates menu you should be OK.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your reply Danny - So I am working in it correctly?  Certain things just feel longer than if I was manually coding the thing haha.

For instance now I have created a 'services' template applied to 10 pages, one for each service, which I then added the content to each of these pages.

I now want to add an extra section at the bottom of each service, a call to action actually.  So I have added this on my first service page - now if I update this so the template is upto date, this will override all my other pages right?

As far as I can tell the only way to apply 'global' page changes is by using widgets everywhere!!! haha.

Posted · Report post

There are some issues with templates especially when using them for multiple pages, this has been reported and our developers are aware of the issue.