Photo
Grid Shortcodes

Grid Shortcodes for Framework

Best Answer Danny , 18 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

I haven't used the plugin myself so I can not say if there is any UI. However, you find info here - http://www.pagelines...rid-shortcodes/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Framework Version:2.3.5

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have installed the Grid Shortcodes plugin for Framework and the documentation links for Evan Mattson are broken.  Is there any documentation still online? Is this plugin no longer intended to be used? I can't seem to find a user interface for the shortcodes, that is, if there is one.

Thanks.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:11 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

I haven't used the plugin myself so I can not say if there is any UI. However, you find info here - http://www.pagelines...rid-shortcodes/

#3 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the link, but I have already viewed it and there is very limited information on the page. It's also specifically for DMS, not Framework. The author's documentation on the plug-in is a broken link, which I find incredible, because if a plugin author doesn't go to the trouble of redirecting links to their documentation, how can you trust their programming? This kind of negligence, lack of information and concern for the user, is precisely the predicament of the Wild West of Wordpress entrepreneurs. I hope that Evan Mattson can respond to this request for information concerning his plugin.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have moved your topic to the correct forum, as this isn't related to PageLines, due to it being a third party product.

Also, not sure why you're saying this is negligence, it could well be a simple URL problem, which Evan isn't aware of. If you found that there was an issue with the URL to the documentation, why did you not notify him via email ?

In regards to your comment about saying that its specific to DMS, as far as I am aware there isn't any difference in the way you use the plugin, it still uses the same shortcodes. The only difference is that the plugin has been updated to make sure it is compatible with DMS.

Im also not sure what the actually issue is, I have just looked over the information on the page I linked and imo there isn't anything that is missing. Not sure what you're after in regards to documentation, the plugin is pretty straightforward and doesn't really require much documentation to begin with.

#5 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Danny for your note. Where would I find Evan's email?

I have noticed that so far, the documentation links from Framework plugins are broken:

Here is the plugin page: http://evanmattson.p...grid-shortcodes

Here is Evan's page: http://evanmattson.pagelines.me/

These links are embedded right in the plugin so when it is installed, the links are broken.

This is also true with Simple Mama's Simple CSS Lite plugin.

Does Pagelines only support the theme, but not the plugins that are specific to the theme? If so, that's discouraging if you are using theme plugins. I am still using Framework, but it is beginning to feel like a sinking ship.

#6 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 231 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

Greetings @rpacker,

What version of the plugin do you have?

The latest version is 1.2.4, and the product links are correct.

I believe the real problem is that extension auto-updates may not be currently working for Framework (do any of your other v2 extensions receive updates any more?).

About your questions:

Let me know if you have any further questions about the plugin.

Thanks‚Äč

#7 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hi Evan,

Great to hear from you! I have Grid Shortcodes 1.2 for Framework. I obtained it from a whole package of nearly extinct Framework plugins. Is there a way to upgrade it to 1.2.4?

From the documentation, I only see shortcodes for positioning content in the grid. Are there any additional shortcodes, such as grid cell lines or background color? I am not very proficient with CSS so it would be great if there is added shortcode functionality associated with Grid Shorcodes.

I am very committed to using Framework as long as I can. I am very disapointed thus far with DMS and will probably switch to another theme before I use this modular system. I am not a Web developer, I am artist working on my own sites, so I am concerned less with efficiency, and more with stability and quality! I think Framework is absolutely the best theme out there and I am still perplexed as to why Pagelines has moved on to DMS, which I consider incredibly clunky.

Anyway, you're probably not interested in my DMS concerns, but I plan to use your shortcodes plugin extensively and would like to know more about its full functionality.

Big thanks!

Randall

#8 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 231 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Randall,

You can update to the latest manually, but uninstalling the old version, and reinstalling a fresh copy that you should be able to download from the pagelines store for free.

The plugin only creates shortcodes for implementing the grid -- styling and everything else is left to you.  One thing you can do is specify an id &/or class attributes with the shortcodes to make those things a little easier.

#9 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Evan, but where can I get the latest version? The link on your Grid Shortcodes page is broken:

http://www.pagelines...rid-shortcodes/

The link to the store is broken... such are the problems surrounding Framework!

Appreciate your reply.

Randall

#10 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 231 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Agh you're right.

The new store is at: http://www.pagelines...rid-shortcodes/

#11 rpacker

rpacker

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

That seems to be the DMS version, is it also compatible with Framework?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grid Shortcodes