bbpress pagelines plugin and 1.1.3 is rendering blank pages on forums

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi

I installed the bbpress integration plugin to render the design correctly in DMS. The root of the forum is ok but clicking on any other forum is simply rendering blank pages and the editor doesn't load. 

I did have membership protection enabled but removed all of that and it's the same issue. This is the root, click on any forum and it does nothing:

http://citywomen.org.gridhosted.co.uk/only-connect-3/

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you enable WP_DEBUG mode and see if any errors are printed and if so, please add them to your reply.

Posted · Report post

I enabled debug and it didn't produce anything, it was just the white screen. I disabled the bbpress Pagelines integration plugin and the navigation to forums is re-enabled and the editor loads. Reactivated the plugin - white screen again. 

Posted · Report post

So bbPress works without the integration plugin but when enabled it causes a white screen ?

Posted · Report post

you get the forum root as per the URL above but navigating to other forums gives you a white screen when the plugin is enabled

Posted · Report post

I have just installed bbPress without the old PageLines bbPress integration and I have no such issue.

To create the Forum index, I removed the Content/PostLoop section and replace it with a MediaBox and added the Forum topics shortcode. For the other pages I simply used the Content/PostLoop.

I have just created several forums and several topics and not ran into any white screen.

However, I had several white screens when using the PageLines Framework bbPress integration, its my understanding that bbPress or BuddyPress integration plugins do not need to be used anymore.

Posted · Report post

Ok, thanks for looking into it. So maybe a good idea to ditch that recommendation from the docs for DMS. I'll delete the plugin and continue as before. 

Posted · Report post

Danny, did you not find putting the forum shortcode into a mediabox messes with the design? I'm finding it doesn't look quite as neat with additional padding and space between the search bar and forums . Is using a mediabox just a shortcut? What is the advantage over using the content/postloop?

Posted · Report post

I just tried with the MediaBox for speed to be honest, as the forums were quite busy. In regards to the styling, I don't personally use bbPress so I wasn't aware of any styling issue to begin with.

So if you use the Content/PostLoop it looks better than when used in the MediaBox via a shortcode ?