• 5 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Website URL: careercrossroadscoach.com
Framework Version: Just installed latest DMS
WordPress Version: 3.6.1
Plugins in Use: none
Server/Host: Network Solutions

I was told to switch from Platform to DMS because Platform is no longer suported. At first I got this error on the main page of the site (and nothing else):

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /data/17/1/140/158/1629321/user/1756258/htdocs/careercrossroadscoach/wp-content/themes/dms/includes/less.plugin.php on line 2370

...But after I disabled all my plugins it went away. However, some weirdness is going on with my dashboard interface. When I switched back to Platform (because of the error) my dashboard settings had changed! Previously there was a section called something like "Platform Settings" and it was under the Themes menu. Now that option is gone, and there's a bunch of stuff that wasn't there before.

My suspicion is that somehow the menu options for DMS replaced the menu options for Platform, which would be possible if both were in a folder called Platforms (I've yet to check the file system), and thus messed them both up.

I'm hesitant to outright delete Platforms, because though it may be legacy I like it a lot. And I don't yet have 100% confidence that DMS will work. And I'd already customized the colors and such for Platforms, and deleting the theme will nixe all that work. Keeping this in mind, how best shall I proceed, in getting DMS to work?

Screenshots are attached.

Attached Files

#2 daretoeatapeach

daretoeatapeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

More info: I just logged into Winscp to have a look at the directory system of the themes. It's a bit dodgy: I've not one, not two, but four folders for Pagelines:

• dms (last changed today) (lots of stuff within)
  • Pagelines (last changed Oct 23) (has a bunch of stuff in it, none of which has been altered since 10/23)
  • Pagelines 1.4.5 (last changed two weeks ago) (has no contents)
  • and Platform 1.4.3 (last changed two weeks ago) (has a folder within called Platform, with a bunch of stuff within that)

Since all these changes were made/errors happened today, it is strange that the Platform folder claims not to have been altered today. After all, I was making changes to the theme prior to installing DMS, so it seems like it should show today as the most recent update, even if all the install packages got put in the DMS folder. All the subfolders/subdocuments share this older date.

#3 daretoeatapeach

daretoeatapeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

I happened to have an old tab open with the old options that had been available in Platform (three cheers for having a zillion tabs and never clearing my cache!). So you can see that they've indeed changed.

Just to make perfectly clear, I know that Platform isn't supported, just trying to get DMS working, preferably without deleting all the options I created in Platform.

Attached Files

#4 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi there,

From the first three screenshots it looks like you have DMS still as the active theme. All of DMS' editing and options are on the front end of the site. With DMS as the active theme, go to view your site live in the chrome browser (editor only works in chrome) and you'll see the DMS control panel at the bottom of the page. Screenshot - http://screencast.com/t/UtRVPJfS

As DMS is vastly different from Platform, your site layout will need to be recreated in some cases. All of your page/post content will be available, but the features/sections like sliders and boxes etc, will need to be added using the new drag and drop options on the live page.

You can switch back to Platform at any time via appearance>themes just making sure Platform is the active theme. It looks like you have DMS, PageLines Framework, PageLines Framework Lite and Platform all installed, so make sure you select the correct one and you should be fine.

#5 daretoeatapeach

daretoeatapeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks so much James! I think in the second set of screenshots I'd accidentally activated Pagelines instead of Platform, because I forgot I had a third theme of ya'll's installed, and went right for it with the logo and familiar name.

Still, my biggest confusion was in where all these theme options are hiding. So just to make sure I understand, you're saying that DMS isn't edited from my WP dashboard, but from an interface (only visible in Chrome) that shows up under the posts and pages themselves?

#6 daretoeatapeach

daretoeatapeach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Erg. So I've installed DMS on another site I run, and opened the interface on a page in Chrome. And I got the tool bar, which pops up with a big blank space. I take it that's where the options are supposed to be, but it's nothing but empty white. I suppose I should open another support ticket but I may just give up and move on to another theme.

Attached Files

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hi there, yeah that's where the options will be. If the buttons are workings and it's a blank white space this is usually a jqeury conflict with a plugin. Disable all third party plugins to see if the editor resolves, if it does go through one by one turning each on, to see which one is the problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fatal error, allowed memory size, troubleshooting, DMS, Platform, dashboard, CMS