Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Activate dropdowns on hover not working

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi, working on a new site, and having trouble with menus. The hover for submenu isn't working - parent page shows up in menu, subpage doesn't. The Active dropdowns on hover button is checked, but doesn't seem to do anything.

And, when I try to create a new menu, it won't let me add the subpage as a subpage, but keeps pushing it to be a top level page.

Site: http://betterworldgaming.com

Parent page: http://betterworldgaming.com/epets

Subpage: http://betterworldgaming.com/epets/support

Any idea what's stopping it from working, or how to fix it?

Thanks! 

14 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hello microsqueek - if you can create an admin account for your Wordpress site and send the credentials to hello @ pagelines.com with a link to this forum topic in it we will take a look for you and see what is going on with the Menus. 

Posted · Report post

Hi I have taken a look at your settings and you may have some conflicting Custom CSS. Could you try removing the Custom CSS and see if this now works. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought that might have been it, too, and tried it before. You can see, I've taken all custom CSS out again, but it the hover menu still isn't working. Any other thoughts?

ps - even if the CSS had been conflicting, that's kind of a problem, as it was there for a reason, site just looks silly now...

Edited by microsqueek

Posted · Report post

Hi,

From the looks of it you haven't created a custom menu and assigned it to the FixedNavbar. As your menu items are using the page classes, which indicates that its not an actual menu.

Therefore, create your menu, then assign that menu to the Fixed Navbar, you can find more information here - http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/adding-custom-menus

1 person likes this

Funny, I tried that before too, and it didn't work. But tried again just now, and it's all better. In the end, I removed the custom CSS (saved it elsewhere for reuse), then it let me build and save my menu correctly. Assigned that one to fixed nav, saved, then put the CSS back in. Seemed to work.

Thanks both!

Edited by microsqueek

Posted · Report post

No problem, happy to hear you issue has been resolved.

Posted · Report post

Really sorry, but just seen that the issue hasn't actually been resolved. In the menu, Support should be a sub-menu, but when I try to re-order the menu it simply won't become a sub-item. It snaps back to being a top-level item when you click save.

On the one time it did stay as a sub-item, the top-level button (ePets) wouldn't click through to its page. Are top level pages not clickable when they have a hover menu?

Any (new) ideas why this is acting up so much? The custom CSS has been taken down, I don't know what is interfering... 

Posted · Report post

If you're having issues creating your Wordpress menu, it is likely to be related to a plugin or custom script. I have just created a custom menu with sub menu items and have no issues what so ever.

Therefore, disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools and see if you're able to create your menu correctly.

Posted · Report post

Danny, I've tried disabling all plugins, and redoing the menu. Still not working. I sent login deets to hello@ a day or two ago - do you think one of you could take a look and see what might be going on backstage? It's getting really frustrating.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Whats the email address you used to contact hello@pagelines.com ?

As I can't see any email related to the email address on or forum profile ?

Posted · Report post

It came from emma @ cultivateoxford.org. Sorry to be confusing!

Posted · Report post

Support Submenu is now a drop down.

How did you do that?! Hero.

But... now the main link (ePets) won't click through to its page. How do we get that to work?

Edited by microsqueek

Posted · Report post

I did by using the Wordpress custom menu, you simply drag to the right any menu you want to be a sub menu of the menu item above, read the article I linked you in my previous post or see the Wordpress codex for more information.

Regarding your ePets menu item, this is how the navigation has been designed by Bootstrap. If you have any menu that has child menus (sub menu) the parent item will no longer be a link, but instead an anchor which activates the sub menu.

If you do not like this functionality you will need to use a different menu, you visit our store for other menus or a plugin such as UberMenu.