Photo
PostPins

Different category settings for each category display?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 435 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm in the process of making over my own site at http://www.makeover....mangraphics.com. I don't blog so I've used my post categories for my portfolio.I wanted to use PostPins but so far I can't figure out how to make it come up different for each category. Maybe it's a simple matter of saving new templates for something... I don't know. Hence the post. But right now  the initial portfolio page comes up with the category portfolio (because I want to exclude my news & article posts and I don't see any way to exclude categories...is there?). So then when I clieck on a category in the sidebar like Logos I get a category page with the logos. So far so good. But when I check another category I STILL get logos because that's what's setup for the category template. So is the answer to save a new template for every category or what? I'm sure there's gotta be a way to do what I want.

Thanks.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hi Sheila,

I'll be candid and say I haven't had a chance to use PostPins in DMS yet.  I would imagine you could clone it, and set a different category for each.  However, this could make for one very, very slow loading page.  My recommendation would be to build one page with a graphic interface depicting each category.  Link each image to a category-specific page that contains the postpins for that category.

This will have several benefits. 

1.  Added pageviews

2.  Less confusion

3.  Reduced page load time

4.  Improved site organization for visitors

5.  Targeted presentation of your work.

Does that make sense?

#3 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 435 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

Rob, that generally makes sense. However two points. One is that I thought when one clones something it remains on the page where it originated. Can we clone and transfer to another page? And then even with the model you outline I still need to figure out the same issue of replicating the postpins with different categories selected. I'll have more time tomorrow to experiment with this. I was out all of today. thanks.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

No.  And I must apologize there for my lack of clarity.

I meant that in one scenario, you could clone the section several times on a single page.  The reason the cloned idea isn't so hot is that the page would be huge and your visitors/prospective clients would have to scroll forever to find different categories, or you'd need ScrollSpy to get them there. Tedious, long and dull.

In a completely different scenario, you'd create the navigation page and then sub-pages each with one PostPins section for a single category.  Each page would have one installation, not cloned, of PostPins, focused singularly on a specific category. Those pages would be shorter, more efficient in load time and focused on the visitor's interest.  Better to showcase your work too!

#5 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 435 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Got it. I was not considering cloning several times on one page for the reason you pointed out. But here's what I'm finding now that I've had some time to play with this...

I've got the top level setup to display the category "portfolio" and it retains that. Then I go to the logos page, select logos category and save. I've also saved as a unique template and assigned it. So far so good. That page displays my logos. But then I make a new template for displaying my print category and save and apply it. Now it shows print on the logo page too. I'm either missing something about how to do this, or else it's not possible to use this the way I'm trying to. I'd like for viewers to come to the page (now display at archives) and see everything, then choose the sub-categories and only display those things. But I'm not getting PostPins to cooperate.

Meanwhile, the reason I have moved it to Archives is that I'm testing out a plug-in specifically designed for making portfolios. It uses Custom Post Types. I've manually added in 4 items and I think I like how it works. BUT, all my portfolio is entered via categories in standard posts.  Having to re-enter them all as CPT is a PITA! So now I'm debating what to do. If I can't get PostPins to work as desired then I think I'll try using the post-type-switcher plug-in and see if I can successfully convert my categories to CPT and use the portfolio plugin.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16289 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Unfortunately, its not currently possible to have different category layouts per category. I have already reported this to our tracker.

#7 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 435 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Danny. I'd decided that was the case. I'm actually pretty happy with the plug-in I found for portfolios so I'm good. You can close this. But when/IF that feature gets added it would be good to know about it. Seems logical one should be able to do that.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16289 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

No problem and you can follow the issue I reported here - https://github.com/p.../DMS/issues/305

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PostPins