1 reply to this topic

#1 space57

space57

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hi, 

I am currently at my wit's end with Page Lines. Here's why:

I hired a design company to build my website almost a year ago. They used Page Lines. Not knowing anything, I didn't care. The site as delivered had some issues. The person that did the work had to move on to other projects. So I hired a developer with wordpress and .css skills. She complained about PageLines profusely and ended up bailing on the project because she couldn't deal with it. Second developer was the same. The third and fourth, same thing. Basic things I wanted to do, like create a full-bleed background image on a blog template, or a truly percentage based grid layout on the homepage, I was told was impossible with Page Lines. Now, I am sure that these things are possible, as you will tell me. But know that your average developer isn't able to perform these things, and as a complete newbie to wordpress, I am at a loss about what to do. I am now in a situation where modifications I am attempting to make to plugins aren't showing up and I wonder if this has to do with bugs that have been introduced into my setup via the 4 separate cooks I've invited into this kitchen, that has never been able to do what I want, and so many patches and fixes are now needed that it actually seems prudent to nuke the whole thing and start over, without Page Lines. 

So the reason why I'm here, is that I need to know if someone can help me. Truly help me. Like, get on a Skype call and log into my site, and look at the situation, and tell me how to guide a normal developer who is used to Word Press. One of my biggest gripes is knowing that I can see stuff in FireBug editor in FireFox but that I have no idea where that stuff lives. It drives me up the wall. The cost of "easy" is "hard". Maybe I'm just not getting it. So I need someone to explain it to me. I also need to know why I can't seem to make simple changes to the .css of a plugin and whether that is being caused by a Page Lines anomaly. Like I said, so many cooks have been in and out of here now, working around Page Lines and being frustrated by it, that it just seems like I should get rid of it. I want to give this a shot because I am under some time pressure to be done with this project (I am unemployed and this website is the one thing standing in the way of getting a job!)... it's been months of this and frankly had I known what I know now I would have run and never looked back because this system has cost me months of time wasted. I am not blaming Page Lines per se but in my individual situation it has been a bad experience.

Is there anyone out there who can please help me make the right choice here, and can take a bit of time out of their day to help someone seriously in need of it? Going the normal route of finding freelancers with WP experience has yielded nothing but trouble for me. 

I am mixmasterdsr on Skype.

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Moderators
  • 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you've had so many problems. I would advise that you look at one of the PageLines Pro's, these are a group of PageLines selected developers who deal with design/product/plugin/theme issues and take on third party projects. If you drop an email tp hello@pagelines.com they'll be able to provide you with a list of the PageLines Pro's to contact.