• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Framework Version:Version 1.2.8

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm currently using a combination of a Features slider and Magazine Layout. In order to accommodate the Features slider, all feature images have been uploaded as 900 pixels wide. However, with 10 articles in Magazine layout under a five-slide features slider, the home page is loading very heavy with not optimized images.

Is it possible to autoresize the feature image when you're using Magazine Layout Mode? (screenshot attached)

I like using both together, but I need to find a better way to load images for site load optimization, which I've been trying to work on for some time. The site has quite a number of calls on it, so whatever I can optimize or reduce will help (this is a separate issue).

Thanks!

(site: logansquarist.com)

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hi,

The issue you have is that you're using the On Top thumb location option. This option uses the Full size image, users requested such an option in the past, thats why its been added since PageLines Framework.

If you wish to not use a full size image, you will want to use another option such as Left Justified, Left, in excerpt or Right, in excerpt. You're using a CDN which is great and if I am honest, your site loads up pretty quick considering.

Most of your image sizes are perfect, meaning they're under 100kb. However, there are a few that are 500kb, you will probably want to optimise these, using one of the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the full assessment, Danny! To clarify, the only way to change it is to choose another thumb position option and the layout of the site? I do really like the layout as it is and I'd hate to change it. No other way around it, right?

I just recently made the CDN and other changes to improve load speed. Also thanks for the tips on the photos. I'm using smushit to help address some of the photos. We have a large staff of contributors, and not everyone is as versed in photo editing.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Unfortunately, there is any other way. The On Top option uses the Full sized image instead of a thumb and this option will not change. 

You could use one of the other options and then use custom CSS to try and position it in a similar fashion to the on top layout.

#5 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Great, thanks. I might think about the custom CSS idea perhaps. Thanks much!

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

Hi there, you could also try a cache plugin to speed up the loading of the site. Something like total cache

don't active this though until the site editing has been completed.

#7 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

Thanks - I am using W3 Total Cache as well. It's turned on unless I'm doing major site fixes. Thanks for the tip!

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

One last idea, to help you speed up the site is to try something like

, which loads the images from another source, tied to your cache plugin.  This really speeds up the load time for images and many scripts.

#9 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have a CDN set up as well. Thx!

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

It looks good now. I see you've cut the number of slides to 5.  Is the issue continuing?

#11 katemhamilton

katemhamilton

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

The slider has always had five slides; The issue is the magazine style of the blog posts pulls the full size image instead of a different image size.

#12 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Is there any other function of your site where you use such large images?  If not, then perhaps you could scale the images down in Dashboard > Settings > Media.

If so, then perhaps you'll be able to use large versions only in that other function, by specific addition, and apply a smaller image for use as the post thumbnail.