Photo
- - - - -

different color sidebar same height as main content area

sidebar css sidebarheight

Best Answer Danny , 01 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

As you can imagine or already know, something like this is quite tricky as both the content in the Content area and content in the Sidebar are usually different. Therefore, I am not quite sure what you can do so that the sidebar always matches the Content area.

However, when doing a quick a search, I did find this article which may assist you - http://css-tricks.co...height-columns/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iclebjl4

iclebjl4

• Members

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

The owners of a site I'm building want the side bar and the rest of the page to be two different colors. Easy enough to do. They also want the height of the sidebar to adjust such that it's either a minimum height or the same as the main content. Minimum height is also easy enough to do, but I'm stumped on getting it to adjust to the height of the main content. Frankly, I've never been able to do this easily in any system, and I sure can't in DMS. Any help? Greatly appreciated if there is. :thumbsu:

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hello iclebj14 

Could you provide a link to the site and we can take a look. 

#3 iclebjl4

iclebjl4

• Members

• 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

It's running downlevel while I redo it:

http://uscsigmanu.or...ite/under-grad/

It's a Word Press multi-site installation, where the default site is just a splash page that splits people into two channels for under grad and alumni Right now, I have both the main content block and the sidebar stuck into a two column layout. I had some notion that it might be easier to get columns to work than to have the sidebar and content in normal mode.

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17636 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:16 AM   Best Answer

Hi,

As you can imagine or already know, something like this is quite tricky as both the content in the Content area and content in the Sidebar are usually different. Therefore, I am not quite sure what you can do so that the sidebar always matches the Content area.

However, when doing a quick a search, I did find this article which may assist you - http://css-tricks.co...height-columns/

#5 iclebjl4

iclebjl4

• Members

• 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply and the link. I've actually used one of the methods there on another site. I tried one of the suggestions on the linked page on this site and wasn't successful. I think I'll move on with the design and come back to this later if it's a big deal to the customer. Thanks for your help.

#6 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hi there,

Thanks, we'll resolve this topic for the time being, if you need to come back on this please start a new thread and we'll be able to pick in the moderating queue for you :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sidebar, css, sidebarheight