Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trying to creat a page with full size header image

Question

Posted · Report post

I have been working with DMS since it came out. It does almost everything I want to see in a themeing system. The only issue I have found is when trying to create a layout that has a full size featured image with the text coming over it slightly. I have achieved something close, although I am sure with some help I can get the full effect. 

So far my site looks like this: http://www.cgmagonline.com/game_review/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-review.html

I am trying to achieve a look that is more similar to this:  http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/4861080/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-review?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

If anyone has any ideas how I could do this that would be amazing!

13 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Is it a static image you're looking to put there, or a feature image pulled from a post? Currently it looks like a post is being used.

DMS has a full width section you can place into the layout, then in the section options you can select to apply an image to entire area as a background, but this will only work with a static image you upload or add from the media libray. It won't pull from a post etc.

The other way to do it using the feature image would be to make the entire site full width, then use some css to bring in the page content under the image. Which would look like - http://screencast.com/t/DaBxessVtJ8

#pl_area676976 {

margin: auto;
    max-width: 970px;
    padding: 12px;
}

Posted · Report post

James B now the issue is how would I make the site all full width?

The featured image is collected from a shortcode since the built in one did not offer the flexibility we needed.

I am open to ideas to ensure it all looks good just not sure the best way to go about it

Posted · Report post

The simplest way would be to use James method. However, another option would be to use a hook, you could then use copy the HTML and CSS used by that site and see how it looks.

Posted · Report post

I have pagelines set to full width yet it is only doing the 920 or so pixles wide. What would be the best way to set DMS to be the 100% of the window?

Posted · Report post

have you dragged the edges of the editor grid outwards to increase the width? http://screencast.com/t/IgtCJRITsda5

Posted · Report post

it does not seem to want to let me expand it beyond the size it is now. It can be smaller just not bigger

Posted · Report post

can you send us an admin logon for your site to hello @ pagelines.com along with a link to this topic and we will take a look for you. Very Odd. 

Posted · Report post

Okay I just shot over the info to the email

Posted · Report post

I removed all your CSS to see if it was causing the issue - i then still couldn't change the width of the site.

You have WP Super Cache installed and active. You cannot make changes to your site with this active as by it's nature it will display cached versions of pages and style. You should disable this when editing your site and only use it when the site is fully live and no more changes are to be made. 

The only other explanation would be to disable all your 112 plugins. There is likely a conflict between these plugins. If you are not using some of the plugins anymore it is best to remove them. 

Also you have a warning message on your admin page regarding a plugin that needs to be uninstalled and replaced by a newer plugin 

Posted · Report post

Okay I tried deactivating plugins, still no luck. Expanding size beyond the 900 such is not working. Is there another method to make the top part larger width?

Posted · Report post

Make sure you clear the caching plugin too. When you have done this and plugins are disabled remove your CSS and paste it into your text editor as backup. 

Then see if you can change the width. 

Posted · Report post

Okay I have tried that, still no luck. Is there a way to backup the settings and starting from scratch to try and get around this issue?

Posted · Report post

Hi there, in DMS you can save all the settings by going to the DMS control panel>global options>import/export. Make sure you also export your posts/pages via the wp admin>tools>export option or using a plugin like backup buddy etc.