Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Linking to div #anchor when using fixed nav bar

Question

Posted · Report post

So I have this page: 

http://bethkadlec.wpengine.com/faqs/

I want to be able to link to each FAQ using the DIV ID -- http://bethkadlec.wpengine.com/faqs/#post-20 

for example .

However this positions the div to the top - behind the fixed nav bar.

I found a tutorial at css tricks, but none of the methods presented there are working for me? 

I set a custom class to each div -- .faq.

So why doesn't the pseudo method work? (or the other method, or any CSS that I've found on stackoverflow work?

.faq:before { display: block; content: " "; margin-top: -70px; height: 70px; visibility: hidden; }

Is this because of the less CSS? Or am I just not understanding the concept?

Anyone successfully link to an anchor on the page - and get it to show up below the fixed nav header? 

Thanks! 

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Solved it.  I'm using nickHaskins @Anyloop - which makes these nice sort of, colored boxes around the content.

When I switched to padding and margin as you suggested, it worked except you could see the gap, because the CSS was being applied to the <div> - which also has the CSS for the background color.

In all the examples, the anchors are always h2 tags. The page uses nick Haskin's #anyloop plugin, which unfortunately does not have any ID's in the full posts <h3's> -- he's got a function down on line 353 of his section.php

<h3><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute();?>"><?php the_title_attribute();?></a></h3>

I tried to get the WordPress post_count to echo out the post cound into and ID but couldn't swing it... so instead I ended up editing the block "anyfull" loop - and just added in a $faqid=0; before the loop and then $faqid++; into just after the loop.

I then replaced his line 242 with: <h3 id="<?php echo $faqid; ?>"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title_attribute();?>"><?php the_title_attribute();?></a></h3>

So essentially he has this elegant set up where all the various "Anyloop" possibilities like a grid, or recent posts etc, always just call the title function at the bottom of the script. 

I uglied it up, by taking out that elegant function and put in my brute force (sorry Nick!)... but hey. It works.

and so now here is my CSS:

.faq h3 {margin-top: -100px !important; padding-top: 100px !important; }

Problem solved ... as long as I remember to not update AnyLoop before looking to see if Nick added in a post_count... just in case we want to link to a post inside the loop, whilst using a fixed header. Sheesh! 

I think you can close this as answered.

Posted · Report post

You will probably want to try something like:

.type-faq[id] {
margin-top: -40px;
padding-top: 80px;
}

If that doesn't work, as its difficult to test on the fly, you will want to play around with that CSS, you need to use margin-top and padding-top not height.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.