Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Same Post Showing Everywhere

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm sure I'll feel ridiculous when someone points out the obvious here, but I'm asking anyways...

I have this post on my very raw DMS testing website, http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=19

I started to add other projects until I realized that all post links are going to the same, original post. So if I go to http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=13, or http://rztoler.com/2014MO/?p=80 for example, it takes me to the same post as above??? The only thing that changes is the categories ("services" on my site), so it's telling me something is being read right, but why is it showing the same content? Have i misunderstood some type of templating function or something...

Really my first serious site with DMS, which will be my personal site... I'd like to understand this before moving forward. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies

Any ideas here? I haven't had any issues in the DMS until now, but this dumb thing has me stumped, which I thought could be answer easily.

I don't mean to bug you guys, but I'm not sure where to go if I can't get answers here. You told me to post here instead of send email. I'm not sure what my $20 a month pays for, but I'm guess just the right to use the application, not support, no?

I suppose I'll install another DMS somewhere else and see if it reproduces the issue. I'm sure this is something I'm missing, hence me slight frustration. Make it great Martin. Thanks again for the help!

Posted · Report post

Hi there, looking in the source code for the two pages you've linked it seems like you're creating posts but them editing them on the front end completely as if they were pages.

If making posts then the content for posts is written in the wp-admin area>posts>create new post, fill in the post info and publish etc. The post template will need to have the postloop/content section present on the front page so it pulls the post content (what you've just written in the wp admin area) in from the loop. The post template will reflect the same on all posts, just the content within the postloop area will change from post to post etc. As you've placed only sections on the post template, like textbox etc and there's no post content being pulled in, that's what's being reflected on each page as it's saved to the post template.

The process you're using is good for pages, that's exactly how you'd create pages but posts are more for blogging etc. To create templates using only sections from the drag and drop that are static, you'd need to create them as a page.

In regard to the forum enquiry, when you post your submission will go into the moderating queue which gets answers in order of how the requests come in. The moderator team are all on different rota's in different locations internationally so most of the time they'll be one of us online, unfortunately we're unable to guarantee response times as it depends on the volume of requests which come in during the shift. But one of the team will respond as soon as possible or request for more information to assist in troubleshooting the problem etc :-)

Posted · Report post

James,

Thanks so much. I get what you're saying completely. I was trying to use posts for my projects so they had categories and tags for search, organization and navigation. As you seen in the linked examples, I wanted the orange gradient image in the background to be different for every project to add partial branding from the client. Sounds like this isn't something I can do really. Can I design/template post types/layouts??? Is there an extension or something? Or is this something that would require an outside developer? Or is this even a possibility in wordpress? Any recommendations?

Thanks again. I knew it was something dumb... Hopefully I can find a work around. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Not entirely sure what it is you're trying to do, as you have no PostLoop section on the page you linked.

You can have a custom background on all your single posts, but will require custom CSS.

So what you will want to do is create the posts you're going to create, then on each of your posts, find the post id (in the body tag) and then use this in your custom CSS to give that posts content background a unique gradient, color or image.