Iboxes Not Using Media Library Images

Question

Posted · Report post

While trying o redo my iboxes after the update, I am finding that they will not accept images from the media library.  If they do save them, it will not show up on the refresh.  In the few examples where they have shown up on the refresh, if I put any more iboxes into the same set, the other iboxes lose their images.  Am I doing something wrong here or is the system still buggy?

25 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

OK, I will report this to our tracker, thank for you informing us, we appreciate it.

Posted · Report post

Are you running the latest version of DMS? Currently at v1.1.1

Posted · Report post

Yes, I just updated it yesterday and that's when all the problems started...

Posted · Report post

I am also using flywheel.  When I took out the shortcode that selecting the media library image put in, then it works.  Might have something to do with the shortcode or with the interaction between pagelines and flywheel.  Please investigate, but for now I think I figured out a workaround.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

When you say removed the shortcode are you referring to [pl_parent_url] ?

Also, your site password protected, we can't view it. Can you provide screenshots of your issue please.

Posted · Report post

yeah, that's what I removed.  And with that removed it works fine.  Not sure if it will be fine when I make the site public on flywheel, but I guess we'll see then...

username: flywheel

pw: fistula

Posted · Report post

I have just tested this both locally and live and have no issue with iBoxes and images. Therefore, the issue could be caused by plugins you have active or a problem with your server.

Try disabling all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue, if it doesn't then contact Flywheel.

Posted · Report post

You tested what exactly? Not sure how you would have tested the functionality of selecting an image from the media library without a wp-login... 

There are no longer any issues as I have figured out a way to edit the problem that Pagelines is causing. 

You see Danny, when I select an image an image from the media library for my ibox, the ibox image is:

[pl_site_url]/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/NowaKusunzi.jpg

After lots of frustration and essentially no solution from the pagelines support team, I removed the pagelines shortcode [pl_site_url] and everything worked fine thereafter.

So if any other people are having problems with ibox images on sites hosted on flywheel ever since the DMS conversion, give this a try. 

Danny, if you guys are gonna recommend flywheel, you should probably figure out a way to make your stuff work with their's a little more seemlessly. (I went there on your advice).  Disable plugins and call flywheel is not really a helpful solution.

You can mark this resolved, but please give me the best solution.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Not sure what you mean by how did I test it exactly ?

I logged into my test site, added the ibox section my template, then added images via the MediaLibrary. The images loaded without any issue, I also removed these images and then replaced them with different images, the same result, the images loaded without any problem.

No one else has reported this issue, therefore it has to be an issue with either a plugin, custom script or even server related.

We recommend Flywheel as PageLines.com and several of our store developers sites are hosted by them without any issue. Your issue may be related to the fact that your site is currently a demo site and is using a subdomain. However, I also set up a flywheel demo site a few weeks ago and had no issue with the [pl_site_url] shortcode.

Therefore, can you email me your username/password so I can login and see for myself. Also, please disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools.

danny at pagelines dot com

Posted · Report post

v 1.1.1 (did not tested it in v1.1.2 yet)

mmhhhh... I have also problems with the media library (in the front-end-editor). Not only in iBoxes in all sections with picture upload function (image_upload).

The upload of a pic works fine, but when I want to change an image with one out of the media library, it does not work.  

sethoof

even if I delete the shortcode [pl_site_url] it does not work. Did you use the whole url instead?

If  I use the whole url it works fine. However guess something might be wrong with the media library in v.1.1.1. 

I will test v1.1.2 now...

v 1.1.2 

ok. seems to work fine again in v1.1.2 (but I did just a quick check).... 

Posted · Report post

I just drop the shortcode and leave the rest.  Have updated to 1.1.2 and am really hoping I dont have to redo my site again!! so far, so good. Enjoy Berlin!  I miss it...

Posted · Report post

OK thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I was too fast.

MediaBox works fine but all media libraries in the new accordion array (QuickSlider, iBox, ...) don't work for me anymore. But I will have a closer look again.... 

@sethoof 

does iBox work for you right now? (with 1.1.2)

(ps. I agree... Berlin is really great! just come back ;-)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi onlineprofiler,

Ref: your Skype question ;)

Seems all good for me with both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, locally or live with Flywheel, including iBoxes...

[EDIT -  Tested again, and it doesn't work with 1.1.2 neither locally neither live with Flyweel: image selected from media library disappears after publishing and iBox image defaults to last setting. cc Martin Davies"] @[member="Danny

I rolled back to older versions, the only issues I reproduce are the ones now solved, mainly:

Weird issue indeed for you and sethoof (and I don't see any 1.1.1 --> 1.1.2 relevant commit/change): solved now?

Edited by Erwan

Posted · Report post

I set up a total fresh test system, no plugins, no childtheme, DMS v111 / v112 pur. Then I tested the change of an image via media library.

Results:

Upload of an image - works √

Use of an URL like: http://www.yoursite.com/xxxx/image.png - works √

Change of an image via media library button - does NOT work !!!

--> the image won't be updated with the new one out of the media library.

This is not only an issue for iBox, it's one for all sections with pic upload / media libraries as far as I have tested it...

Does anybody else encounter this same problem?

Thanks for feedback.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

One way to solve this big usability issue (it's seems not to be a bug) is to click into another field after using the media library button. then the system safes the new pic.

did not test it too much for now, but will do it later.

Posted · Report post

I have just changed the images of 16 iBoxes using the Media Library and have not encountered any error nor do I have to click on another field. I change the image, click publish and the image is changed.

Would it be possible for you to record this issue using the Jing app, so we can see for definite what is actually happening.

Posted · Report post

I've replied to this problem in PL300 and was requested to confirm it here by erwanlescop.

I encountered the problem with PopThumbs, and not being able to choose a picture from WP media library. I can select the picture, but it does not preview in the DMS editor (like it does when uploading from file). And upon refreshing or publishing, there is no image either on the site or in the PopThums setup.

A few members of PL300 have found a (weird) fix; Select an image from the media library, then mouse click onto a seperate text field in the PopThumbs setup (so that the text field has a blue halo), and then refresh. For some reason this is working for me.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Danny

Issue for all sections (as far as I tested) using the Media Library. It's a 
big UI/UX/Javascript event handling bug IMHO.

That is: image selected via the library --> no local change, publishing has no effect. Two (bad) tricks: select another zone, or use the refresh for preview button for the option, so that DMS "understands" it's a local change and saves it.

See requested video capture (WP 3.7.1 + DMS 1.1.2), with an iBoxes example: shows the bug, how to sort it out with the refresh for preview button trick, and the irrelevant current situation with the section status (blue/red/green button: global/local/no changes).

Posted · Report post

I am having the same problem as you 100% pure humans, i cannot get a media image assigned to a box section to save my life, and ive tried everything. pretty glitchy pagelines... pretty glitchy. 

-angry chimp

Posted · Report post

@thehumanzee... we posted a trick... just try it. Mostly it works.

Further the problem is solved and with the next pagelines update you won't have any media library issues anymore :)

nice greetings,

Sii

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

sethoof"] @[member="johndb"] @[member="The Humanzee"] @[member="onlineprofiler

Update: as announced by PageLines, patch included in last DMS release i.e. 1.1.4.

This topic can me marked as solved by Martin Davies"] or @[member="Danny ;)

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, I'm running 1.1.4 and although during the upgrade I did not loose ibox images - i did loose them as soon as I migrated content from staging to production.

Posted · Report post

I had a helluva time trying to figure out why different browsers on the same laptop (Firefox and Safari on my Macintosh) wouldn't show my images in Better iBoxes. I also couldn't see them with Chrome on my PC, they would only show with Chrome on the Mac. I thought my site was broken after DMS updates but I just discovered a very simple solution that has fixed my image display problem. I happened on this page

http://pagelinescommunity.com/dashboard/

and I randomly decided to change my Child Theme to the free Academy Child Theme offered on this page. After doing so, quite unexpectedly on all platforms I've tested––Chrome on 2 PCs and 3 Macs and an iPad, Firefox on all 5 laptops, and Safari on 2 Macs all immediately started displaying the images in the boxes when before, only Chrome on one Mac showed the images. I also deactivated all plug-ins and brought them back in one by one and haven't seen the problem return. Hallelujah. My page layout designs which are Better iBox plug-in dependent is totally solid.

Just one problem occurred on a PC running Microsoft Explorer––my background image doesn't show, the Quick Slider fills the whole screen and the iBoxes all stack up vertically beneath the Quick Slider. I suspect this must be a DMS issue with Explorer, beyond my knowledge to figure out what's happening there with Explorer. Time to pitch this new issue to the forum.

Good luck getting your images back, hope this solution works for you.