Photo
- - - - -

Post Pins Loading same posts

Best Answer andylemay , 16 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

Just tried DMS tools 1.4.7

Seems to work and fix the post pins and links issue.  :-)

Andy

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

I have the PostPins section which looks great.  I'm using it on the homepage and want to use the "Load More Post".  I have PostPins set to load 4 post at a time.  Initially it works loading 4 post however when I click "load more post" in a live browser window it reloads the same four posts just in a different order so I have eight post showing but duplicates.   

How do I correct this?

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi,

Can you take a screenshot of your PostPins settings please, as another user reported this issue. However, I am unable to recreate it.

#3 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Not sure how to attach the image in forum. But below are the settings.  Also, it doesn't happen if you are using Chrome and logged in even in Preview mode. But if you look at it in Safari or Firefox it happens.

Pin Width - blank/default

Attachment image source - Large

Pin Gutter Width - blank/default

Number of Pins to Load - 3

Pin Loading Method - Use Load Posts Link (AJAX)

Pin Post Category - *Show All*

Styling Classes - Blank

The site in development is live at Scramblers-Schemers.com.  I've made it active with the issue mentioned but will need to pull it within a few hours.  

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

I have just viewed your blog using Chrome and the duplicate posts happens on Chrome. However, you have a number of errors and warnings in the browser console. Therefore, please disable all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools and PostPins and remove any custom scripts and see if this resolves your issue.

Also, do any of your posts have more than one category assigned to them (just thinking out loud)?

#5 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

What I meant by not seeing the error in Chrome is that when I am logged in to DMS/WP and preview the site everything looks fine but when I publish the site it doesn't work correctly in any browser. 

I don't have any custom scripts loaded.  The only plugin I had running other than DMS Pro Tools was WP super cache and now disabled.  The errors I see in the Chrome developer console appeared related to the Share Bar so I removed it.  

This shows my lack of knowledge as a developer (came from design side) but in Chrome I see a warning sign that says 23 in the lower right (appears to be a link) but when I click on it nothing changes in the display window?

I've published the site with only DMS Pro Tools and the PostPins plugin active.

#6 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

@Danny

Any suggestions?

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

Has postpins been removed from the template? I can't see it on the homepage, only the flipper section at the bottom of the page

#8 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I added it back with the exact same settings.  

#9 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Can you email me your username and password so I can take a closer look, also do you give me permission to disable plugins and changes settings if needed ?

danny at pagelines dot com

#10 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Just did and yes.  Would you let me know what changes you make. 

Thanks.

#11 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

OK, you certainly have a problem, but I am unable to recreate it on my test using the same settings. Therefore, the only think I think of is that it may be server related.

You should contact your host and ask them to upgrade your PHP to version 5.4 or above. Once they have done this, try your PostPins again and see if this resolves your issue.

I also reverted the changes I made, which was changing one of the categories of your post from a child category to a parent.

#12 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Moved site to a new host and the PHP is current...it did fix the issue.  

You guys might want to update your support documents to reflect needing PHP 5.4 or above a minimum requirements.

Thanks for the solution. 

#13 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

However, I don't think this is related to having PHP 5.4 or above, in order for PostPins to work, it may well have been something else, you previous host had enabled/disabled.

Some hosts disable or enable certain PHP functions for security reasons and this can have an effect on your sites functionality. So this may have been the case with you.

#14 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

@ Danny - This issue has returned.  I'm on WPE and they are on 5.4 because they haven't deemed 5.5 stable.  Anyway, I moved over to them and postpins worked even though they are on 5.3.2 (I think).  They have multiple instances of DMS but none of PostPins so they couldn't offer any suggestions.  

Since it was working and now isn't I'm inclined to think it's an issue with PostPins.  Could it be that since I only have 4 demo posts it's throwing something off.  I'm going to continue to work on the issue and see if it's some setting.  Oddly, I think it worked until I installed flipper on the home page but can't be sure.

I think WPE was one of PageLines suggested hosts and I love the ease of their backup plan.  Which hosts does PageLines recommended for PHP 5.4 or 5.5?

#15 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

@Danny - Any word on a resolution to this issue?  Post pins isn't pulling the correct post.  In some browsers it shows duplicate posts, in some it shows three posts, then pulls same three when you load more posts, in some instances it works.  I see others having the same issue in the forums and same issue on site's added to the show us your DMS site forum.  

You and James are great support and I sure wouldn't be accomplishing much of what I can without your help.  However, I'm going to post a bit of rant about the advertised number of sections and the issues with some of the sections.  

Any help resolving this would be of great assistance.  

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17618 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Can you provide a link to the page where postpins isn't working, as I am unable to create this issue on my test sites.

Why are you going to post a rant about the number of sections, I have already covered this and what issues with some sections ?

#17 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 964 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

@Danny- I pulled the site down that is having the post pins issue.  Am going to rebuild it from the ground up using Nick's base theme and some viewer sections.  I'll let you know how it comes along.  

Which hosts are recommended by Pagelines.  One that is running PHP 5.5?  

#18 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hi there,

We don't officially recommend any hosts, but http://getflywheel.com/ is very popular at the moment and is used by a fair few of the developer group, we also use flywheel for pagelines.com. 

Wpengine were also quiet popular. There was a hosting poll a while back which clients voted on their chosen hosts to use with PageLines. This might be a bit outdated now but if you want to check it out - http://forum.pagelin...osting-is-best/

#19 andylemay

andylemay

Advanced Member

• Members

• 69 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi Danny, James,

I have the same issue with post pins loading the same posts again.

www.ewizz.co.za/news

It works fine in the DMS editor but not in the browser.

The problem is again DMS Pro tools! ( I say again because DMS Pro Tools 1.4.6 broke my site URL's, this has been reported on this forum)

I have 1.4.1 installed and when I deactivate this it all works perfectly!  Same behavious as the other problem in that in the DMS editor all is good but in the browser you see the errant behaviour.

Thanks Andy

#20 andylemay

andylemay

Advanced Member

• Members

• 69 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hi Danny, James,

I've disabled DMS Pro tools so the site is working.  Let me know if you need to see the error.

Thanks

Andy