updated then got: "can't write to your servers file system"

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi I got this error:

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue.
To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.

I just upgraded to DMS v 1.1.1

Never had this error before.

Currently using wp v 3.7

Any idea what's going wrong ?

Thanks

65 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I have the same problem and this is what I get:

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
POSIX checks failed.

Any comments to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Arda

Posted · Report post

acetin update, the comment was removed.

Posted · Report post

hi! is there any solution up to now or an idea?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I got this error:

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
Unable to set filesystem credentials

the access code is 777 for both:

wp-content/uploads/pagelines

and

wp-content/uploads/

So I don't understand why I'm getting this error.

Might it be that:

"PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host!"

... ?

(details below)

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/var/www/vhosts/abdelrahmanmussa.com/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework URI
http://abdelrahmanmussa.com/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP Open basedir restriction
Yes!
/var/www/vhosts/abdelrahmanmussa.com/:/tmp/

PHP memory

Mysql version

PHP type
Apache2handler

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host!

OS
Linux

Posted · Report post

Hello @amussa 

Your host should be able to advise why there is a restriction on your hosting related to the basedir restriction and remove the restriction for you. If it is not affecting your site you can disable the message in DMS > Settings > Advanced  

under Debug Options you will see 'Disable Error Notices' 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm back in this discussion because it doesn't make sense yet. I am my own host provider Mavericks OSX.

Debug follows.

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/Users/denislee/Sites/www/wp_artshark/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework URI
http://www.artshark.com/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP memory

Mysql version

PHP type
Apache2handler

PHP User
_www

OS
Darwin

Licence OK
------------@mac.com

Installed Plugins
akismet/akismet.php
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php
grid-shortcodes/grid-shortcodes.php
jetpack/jetpack.php
post-types-order/post-types-order.php
w3-total-cache/w3-total-cache.php
wordfence/wordfence.php

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem

Pagelines folder set to 777

Owner denislee

I see that PHP User is _www

However I cannot change the owner to _www for some reason

This tries your patience because it feels like we need to be rocket scientists to figure this out. From some comments it seems to be a defensive manuever on Pagelines part. Odd. The goal is to be the master of the environment. I come away with the feeling that I am somehow inadequate. My new server is less than. I'm not really qualified to be in the game. I am very unsettled as a user. As this issue has eluded me for a couple months. (My Artshark site is a play site. Not a production site)

I was more comfortable with Framework. I understand the need to move on. This thread still feels like it lacks clarity. Both on the declaration of the issue and the solution. Why can't PHP or DMS write a file to a folder that is set to 777. It writes files all the time to the uploads folder. The caching plugins write files. Why can't the DMS LESS subsystem write to an open unprotected folder? That sounds like a DMS program issue, not a DMS user issue or a server issue. No other product I have used in the Wordpress environment has required this much finesse from the administrator. Isn't this really just a DMS bug of some kind.

Edited by noomaking

Posted · Report post

noomaking I'll reply to you here as well seeing as you have 2 posts with the same content.

We use WordPress file API to write the css file, and the error is simply that WordPress cannot write a file into the uploads/pagelines folder.

Maybe the user _www does not have permission to write there? I dont know i have never used OSX as a server OS, and I have never met anyone who has either. 

Posted · Report post

noomaking I'll reply to you here as well seeing as you have 2 posts with the same content.

We use WordPress file API to write the css file, and the error is simply that WordPress cannot write a file into the uploads/pagelines folder.

Maybe the user _www does not have permission to write there? I dont know i have never used OSX as a server OS, and I have never met anyone who has either. 

How does that help Simon? "Maybe?" Or I "have never met anyone who has either?" What does that mean? I read it as snobbiish. Am I wrong? Am I being defensive? Wordpress has run on these machines for years. This particular trick of DMS does not work. And the way we are treated when we inquire is with some measure of elitism? What is the best machine out there Simon? Perhaps that should be in the specs when you sell DMS. It requires a specific OS. What do you recommend? What allows DMS to work as written. How are your test machines configured. OSX is UNIX. Are there unsurmountable differences?

Posted · Report post

How does that help Simon? "Maybe?" Or I "have never met anyone who has either?" What does that mean? I read it as snobbiish. Am I wrong? Am I being defensive? Wordpress has run on these machines for years. This particular trick of DMS does not work. And the way we are treated when we inquire is with some measure of elitism? What is the best machine out there Simon? Perhaps that should be in the specs when you sell DMS. It requires a specific OS. What do you recommend? What allows DMS to work as written. How are your test machines configured. OSX is UNIX. Are there unsurmountable differences?

Well yes maybe your file permissions are wrong for that folder for the user _www. Maybe as they maybe or maybe not. I have no way to tell from here, and also have no knowledge of how OSX is setup as a server. Its very niche.

We have tested DMS and PageLines Framework on OSX using MAMP, on Windows, Linux servers, a LOT of VPS's and the top 20 hosts (as of last year).

Is it an actual server or a imac running the server software?

Posted · Report post

Hi I am getting the same error as a few of the people above and I am stuck and need some help. 

Error:

Less Subsystem 

I changed the permissions to 777 and user and group ownership to the same as my other folders (my username and group) for these two folders:  

wp-content/uploads/

I also troubleshooted this with my host (rackspace) and was not able to resolve the issue.  Still get error.  They tried setting up "facls" for these directories (not sure what this means - see email below for their explanation).   

From server tech:

"I gave the whole wp-content directory apache permissions as this is the directory that wordpress writes and changes regularly. This should help resolve the issues you are still experiencing.

The file system is going to be miss-leading with facls in place. Basically the files will continue to say they are owned as they have been, user "jkent", group "web".

In reality they additionally have apache access too. This is only seen through a special "getfacl" command."

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
Yes

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Version

PHP Version

PHP memory

Mysql version

PHP type
Apache2handler

PHP User
Apache

OS
Linux

Installed Plugins
advanced-post-types-order/advanced-post-types-order.php
auto-featured-image/auto-featured-image.php
change-permalink-helper/change_permalink_helper.php
co-authors-plus/co-authors-plus.php
custom-post-type-permalinks/custom-post-type-permalinks.php
custom-post-type-ui/custom-post-type-ui.php
custom-sidebars/customsidebars.php
dynamic-widgets/dynamic-widgets.php
geo-mashup/geo-mashup.php
google-calendar-events/google-calendar-events.php
p3-profiler/p3-profiler.php
pagelines-customize/pagelines-customize.php
pagelines-sections/pagelines-sections.php
portable-phpmyadmin/wp-phpmyadmin.php
portfolio-slideshow/portfolio-slideshow.php
redirection/redirection.php
rich-text-tags/rich-text-tags.php
slideshare/slideshare.php
special-recent-posts/special-recent-posts.php
term-management-tools/term-management-tools.php
uBillboard/billboard.php
underconstruction/underConstruction.php
wordpress-importer/wordpress-importer.php
wp-e-commerce/wp-shopping-cart.php
wp-pagenavi-style/wp-pagenavi-style.php
wp-pagenavi/wp-pagenavi.php
wp-super-cache/wp-cache.php
yarpp-experiments/yarpp-experiments.php
yet-another-related-posts-plugin/yarpp.php

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem

Posted · Report post

Try Disabling wp-super-cache and then try again. 

In fact - try disabling all plugins and then try it. The Cache plugin especially. Make sure you follow the steps in the user documentation for the plugin - not clearing cache before disabling properly will cause lots of other problems. 

Posted · Report post

No luck.  Still get the error after fully uninstalling wp super cache and deactivating all other plugins.  See debug info below.  Note that no files are being written to the "uploads/pagelines" folder, the folder is empty.  Site is very slow as I believe it tries to compile css.  Loads quick on local server (no errors), but takes 10 - 25 seconds to load on a dedicated server where I have not had speed problems in the past. Seems quite weird. Hoping to launch site next couple days, any help appreciated.  

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
Yes

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Version

PHP Version

Child theme
Yes

PHP memory

Mysql version

PHP type
Apache2handler

PHP User
Apache

OS
Linux

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem

Posted · Report post

Any ideas?

Posted · Report post

Any ideas?

WordPress cannot get permessions to write to that folder because PHP is running as an apache module with the user apache. I expect your username is probably not apache.

DMS asks WordPress if it can write a file, if it cant then it falls back to the dynamic url method. There isnt much we can do about it im afraid.

Most hosts these days use even the really cheap ones use php-fpm or an apache module to change the username.

The module your host is using is becoming very rarely used nowadays as it is so hard to keep it secure.