updated then got: "can't write to your servers file system"

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi I got this error:

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue.
To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.

I just upgraded to DMS v 1.1.1

Never had this error before.

Currently using wp v 3.7

Any idea what's going wrong ?

Thanks

65 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

yeah. wtf??? i have the same problem. 

Posted · Report post

Hi, I am also having this error as well. Is there a file that pagelines is trying to write to?

Posted · Report post

Very likely this is a memory issue. 

I'd recommend using the Debug option and generating a report, posting it here.  It could also be a plugin conflict, but before we go that route, let's see the debug info.

Posted · Report post

DMS tries to write a css file to your uploads folder.

To aid with support we added this message so people could attempt to resolve the issue before they blame dms for being so slow because it has to produce the css on-the-fly

So, enable debug under advanced settings, then visit the debug page, you will then see the exact error.

Posted · Report post

thank you Simon and I hope everyone can resolve their issues too :-)

I did enable the debug option,

but I don't know where the debug page is.

Can you tell me where that would be ?

thanks

Posted · Report post

Add ?pldebug=1 to your sites address.

Posted · Report post

You can also go to the DMS Toolbar, click Settings > Advanced and Debug is an option right there.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Simon and Rob,

what am i looking for ?

Here's what I can see that might be of interest:

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host!

PHP Open basedir restriction

Yes!

Anything else ?

Posted · Report post

at the bottom, errors are there, but yes no posix extension will stop it writing a css file anyway.

Install the pro tools plugin, it bypasses that check, no promises but it might fix it.

Posted · Report post

i installed the pro tools plugins previously and it's still active

"Installed plugins" is the last section, no error section

Posted · Report post

Well for whatever reason your uploads/pagelines folder is not writable by whatever user php is running. You need to ask your host why.

Posted · Report post

and I can't just change the file permissions ?

Posted · Report post

Well i have no idea of your host, or the tools they give you.

If you have FTP access try setting uploads folder to chmod 777

Posted · Report post

It seems a lot of us are getting this error message. I have the same thing - and it's not allowing me to update my theme, or upload images. From the post I left on the Pagelines Products Section, it seems we're not the only ones with this issue either. 

Posted · Report post

ashbybp

I suspect your cache is preventing the install. This happened on one of my own DMS sites.  I just updated the plugins first and then updated the themes.  I experienced the difficulty though, with all themes. As soon as the plugins updated, everything else worked well.

So, very likely, something in the plugin folder may be causing the cache to hold fast. Once the cache clears, everything works fine in updating.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Smart Egg,

Question: How do I clear the cache? I don't have a cache plug-in. So far, I've cleared my browser cache (wondering if this is what is meant by it). Please clarify or advise how I might do this.

Thanks,

Mary

Posted · Report post

It seems a lot of us are getting this error message. I have the same thing - and it's not allowing me to update my theme, or upload images. From the post I left on the Pagelines Products Section, it seems we're not the only ones with this issue either. 

We added this warning because on a lot of cheap webhosts dms was loading slowly and we were getting complaints. So, if dms cannot write a real css file we added this warning message.

As to why you cant update themes plugins, thats probably related because of file permissions.

Posted · Report post

I think I should likely change my 'signature' to "talk to me like a two year old." I'm looking for a manuscript on the absolute basics (for asking the right questions), but until I find one I'll have to live with sounding like an idiot. 

Would you be kind enough to tell me how to change these file permissions so I can see if this works? Please use very small words in respect to acronyms or jargon. I'm a book publisher and have exceptionally limited knowledge of anything to do with code/Wordpress/websites.

I intend to learn, but I have to crawl before I can walk.  

Thanks,

Mary

Posted · Report post

Mary, thats why we suggest asking your host.

We have no idea where your files are, what access you have, what permissions you have or what tools you have installed.

Posted · Report post

Hi Simon,

I did call my host (Godaddy), since the message advised to contact the host. According to them, they didn't see the error message when they logged in and they had no trouble updating the site with new pages. I tried to explain it wasn't the pages that I had trouble with. However, if the permissions are set by the host then I will contact the host again. 

I'm not trying to be difficult when I ask these questions. I just don't understand. Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Mary

Posted · Report post

Mary,

I think the questions to ask your host are:

Are my files owned by me, or by the server? (Ask if the CHOWN is set to you as site owner, or to the server itself.)

Are the permissions set to allow me to write to them, when I upload things or edit content?

Posted · Report post

Hi, 

I spoke with the host. Apparently, I own everything. The issue I'm having with updating my theme is that Sophistique is downloading the original 1.1 file rather than the updated 1.1.1. I'm not sure if I should put the link on here as it downloads a version of the theme. However, if someone wants to message me I'll copy and paste the details privately. So, it doesn't appear to be the host or DMS or WP, but the wrong file version. 

Please advise. 

Thanks!

Mary

Posted · Report post

Hi Mary

I have 13 sites on Godaddy shared host, with the DMS 1.1 appears one time the message, with WP 3.7, DMS 1.1.1 and "PageLines PRO plugin" activate the problem (message) disappear, I can upload image, make changes, etc etc, In resume all works fine to me.

I´m using the Ultimate Plan. What plan are you using?

The permissions are all posible to change via FTP on Godaddy Server (I use FileZiila) , you can see the image

http://screencast.com/t/oelH1qxbveI

Rob I suppose that files are owned by me

Mary give a chance disabling the plugin and the themes?

Upps i said the same than Godaddy, I did not see the Mary´s reply

:)

Posted · Report post

Hey batman,

Thanks for that! I'm going to make sure all my permissions are set as per the screenshot you provided. -- Just in case. I still need the proper theme version, but at least I can be sure my permissions are set appropriately as well. 

I've learned so much from you guys. 

Seriously! Thanks!

Cheers,

Mary :rock:

Posted · Report post

ashbybp
A pleasure if I could help, this is the live of the superhero.
:D
We all learn together in the forum.
Regards
Carlos