Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Custom Permalinks Break My Site

Question

Posted · Report post

When I change the permalinks structure to a custom structure (pages) it breaks my site. I've read other posts about how the CSS doesn't work if the permissions aren't set correctly on the server, but I'm not sure which files need increased permissions. I would rather not use 777 if I don't have to. I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like when it breaks. 

Things I've tried:

Updating permissions on .htaccess to 755

Deleting .htaccess altogether

Tried adding the following to wp-config: define( 'PL_NO_DYNAMIC_URL', true ); as suggested by http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/27761-pagelines-loading-only-when-default-permalinks-setting-is-active/?hl=permalinks.

Live-chatted with my hosting service - they were no help.

Tried this too: http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/21053-permalinks-affecting-the-pagelines-layout/?hl=permalinks

I'm new to web development, so forgive me if the answer is painfully obvious.

Help?

8 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HI,

Can you provide a link to your website and also enable Pl Debug mode please. DMS Toolbar > Global Options > Advanced.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, it's komodoink.com.

I had to revert to default permalinks to get pagelines to work so I could enable debug mode, but I changed it back so you can see the error.

I'm also getting the following message at the top of my wordpress dashboard: "It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue. To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel."

Posted · Report post

Okay, I just realized I'm an idiot. I entered the custom permalink wrong. It's working now.

However, do I need to worry about this message?:  "It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue. To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel."

Posted · Report post

I spoke too soon. It's not actually working. My subpages are working ex: komodoink.com/visual-madness/comics, but my main page is broken: komodoink.com.

The permalink structure i'm using is /%postname%

Posted · Report post

Ya sounds like you're on some economy hosting? 

If WP can't write files to your server its hard for DMS to optimize its performance.

Check with your host about allowing WP to write files, that is the standard hosting configuration that DMS was designed for.... 

Posted · Report post

So which files need access? And do they need full 777 access, or will 755 work?

Posted · Report post

Also, I use Hostgator. Is this a common experience with them?

Posted · Report post

Inexpensive hosts don't usually provide the resources, ownership and permissions needed to make WordPress sites work correctly.  The memory resources, for example, are shared with dozens, if not hundreds of other sites, so often WP sites break on such hosts.

DMS' requirements are here: http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements

As for 777, I'd recommend setting .htaccess to 777 temporarily, to make your permalink changes, then revert it back to 755.

You may want to look for a new host, with at least a decent VPS account and sufficient memory and other resources for WP.  There are also a number of excellent hosts that specialize in WP hosting.