Major problem with new DMS version 1.1 - Please help

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I have just installed the new DMS v1.1 today and all of my woocommerce products are broken (not displayed correctly). Can and where can I get access to old DMS versions so I can roll back to the previous version to see what is causing the problem?

Thanks, James

1 person likes this

13 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

A child theme will not effect any core files, that is the purpose of using a child theme. If you have made changes to the core files, installing a child theme will not remove these changes, you will need to remove them yourself or they will be removed upon an update.

Posted · Report post

Hi jawdesigns - I'm sorry to hear you've encountered issues and am unaware of other folks having problems with Woo at the moment. But I wanted to get your site back up right away so please feel free to download a previous version from https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/releases.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hello @Jawdesigns 

You can download all previous iterations of DMS from Github here https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/releases 

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Guys,

I really appreciate the help with this. For a moment I was beginning to panic. The problem I had (I think) was because I am using a woocommerce.css style sheet that is located in my DMS themes folder. The stylesheet makes the website a little more responsive. I was also told to add this into my themes functions.php file (I know nothing about php!!).

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'change_woo_styles', 99 );
function change_woo_styles() {
    wp_dequeue_style( 'woocommerce_frontend_styles' );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'woocommerce_responsive_frontend_styles', get_stylesheet_directory_uri()."/woocommerce.css" );

}

However, I am suspecting that maybe the file(s) were overridden maybe when I updated DMS to version 1.1 as I have managed to get everything working well now that I have added the php and uploaded the woocommerce.css file (again) into the themes folder. However, I was really beginning to panic for a moment so please let me know if I've been doing something wrong or how I can stop DMS from overwriting files in the future (this is all new to me). I know I need to look into this more so happy to read through any doc's on this.

Thanks, James 

Posted · Report post

A child theme would prevent your files from overwriting when you update dms

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi James, Aires is correct, what you want to do in order to avoid this with future updates is go with a Child Theme. Check out http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/base-child-theme for more information but essentially, you'll upload and activate the child on top of DMS itself and put your functions and custom styles there instead of the core. You never want to update the core files as it will always have these types of consequences but the child themes work really well to avoid it!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys, I need to take some time to look into this and I appreciate the help. Rob (from pagelines) did mention to me that you needed a child theme when using additional fonts. At the time I didn't really know how you could run a child theme and DMS at the same time. However, the doc's (above) I'm sure will shed more light on this.

Once again thanks for all your support on this!

Cheers, James

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Please let us know how you get on. 

Posted · Report post

I will do, cheers Martin! :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome JamesW!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks also for the help Jake!

Will let you all know how I get on...

Posted · Report post

:)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi to all,

I just thought I should let you know that I have installed the child theme and all is working well. I have also added some basic php and a new woocommerce style sheet and everything seems good.

However, just thought I should also mention that when I first installed the child theme I didn't remove the existing woocommerce.css style sheet or the new php code inside the functions.php file from inside the dms themes folder and I received a fatal error. However, I backed up my woocommerce.css stylesheet and functions.php code and then updated to the current dms version. After updating DMS I then installed nicks child theme again and everything worked.

Thanks, James