• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hajobakker

hajobakker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

After upgrading to dMS 1.1, the following message appears in the Wordpress dashboard:

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue. To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.

What's this, all of a sudden DMS needs to write and does not state where and why? Strange!

• nonRuhPseulse and zqkuonexxs like this

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

As far as I know, DMS has always needed to write some files to the server, however, the only time I've seen permissions or ownership issues as you're experiencing is when WordPress was installed with an automated installer. 

When systems like Softaculous or other server-based installers are used, the ownership of key files and folders is retained by the server, rather than you as the administrator.  Can you tell us if you used some built-in system to install WordPress?  How did you install DMS?

#3 hajobakker

hajobakker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

As far as I know, DMS has always needed to write some files to the server, however, the only time I've seen permissions or ownership issues as you're experiencing is when WordPress was installed with an automated installer. 

When systems like Softaculous or other server-based installers are used, the ownership of key files and folders is retained by the server, rather than you as the administrator.  Can you tell us if you used some built-in system to install WordPress?  How did you install DMS?

Rob,

I've installed WP from the commandline, no installatron stuff here.

Having experienced too much funny stuff, I'll try with a fresh install

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

if you enable debug under advanced settings then visit the debug page, the actual error will be revealed.

#5 erin-wsk

erin-wsk

Advanced Member

• Members

• 85 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'm receiving the same error on a multi-site set-up and wordpress was not installed through an automated installer. Ran the debug info and the only thing that shows an error: 

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
POSIX checks failed.

• nonRuhPseulse likes this

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm receiving the same error on a multi-site set-up and wordpress was not installed through an automated installer. Ran the debug info and the only thing that shows an error: 

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
POSIX checks failed.

You can add this to functions.php of your child theme:

add_filter( 'render_css_posix_', '__return_true' );

‚ÄčIt wont guarantee a result but it does bypass that check.

#7 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 434 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm seeing this same thing only after upgrading to WP 3.7. My installs are all backup buddy restores. So I'm not sure why I'm having this issue. Can we just ignore it or do we need to change the permissions on something or what?

PS: just noticed this is posted in the free area. I have a full paid version of DMS.

#8 thesingleparentperspective

thesingleparentperspective

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

I use GoDaddy

Just did a fresh install of wordpress 3.7 through the GoDaddy control panel and installed the 1.1.1 version of dms through the wordpress theme installer and am getting the same message.

1.  Is this going to affect how my site works?

2.  If so, how can I fix it?

#9 ccage

ccage

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

For me, it's:

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem
Unable to set filesystem credentials

Tried various permissions of DMS theme folders containing .less files. No joy.

#10 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

For me, it's:

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem

Tried various permissions of DMS theme folders containing .less files. No joy.

The folder it tries to write to is your uploads folder, typically wp-content/uploads/pagelines

Permissions however isn't your issue, wordpress does not have direct access to the filesystem. probably the process is running under a totally different username, difficult to say as you only pasted the very bottom of the file. Do you normally get asked for username/password when you update/install themes and plugins? 

#11 ccage

ccage

• Members

• 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

The folder it tries to write to is your uploads folder, typically wp-content/uploads/pagelines

Permissions however isn't your issue, wordpress does not have direct access to the filesystem. probably the process is running under a totally different username, difficult to say as you only pasted the very bottom of the file. Do you normally get asked for username/password when you update/install themes and plugins? 

Nope, updates work without prompt. FTP method is defined in wp-config and functions. The folder that it's trying to write to in this case is [my site structure]/public_html/wp-content/uploads/pagelines (to write the LESS-processed CSS cache, hence the error). This folder (and the cached file) are owned by apache.

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well thats the problem, your using the FTP method. DMS tries to use direct...

OK can you edit a file to test something?

Open includes/less.legacy.php and look for a couple of instances of the following:

$creds = request_filesystem_credentials( ...... various args...

replace with this:

$creds = request_filesystem_credentials( site_url() );

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

@ccage did the above make any difference?

#14 finde

finde

• Members

• 13 posts
  • LocationChemnitz

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

I also get this message. Installing via FTP. without result. provider says the problem is not wp. Problem is the page lines. what can I do. it is not good. thank you. jens

#15 hajobakker

hajobakker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

I've installed a number of different wordpress 3.7 sites over the last couple of weeks, each in a ssh session, using wget latest and unzip.

The error messages only show up in chrome, and from DMS 1.1 on. It does not in any way appear to hinder or break anything though.

#16 finde

finde

• Members

• 13 posts
  • LocationChemnitz

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

thanks for your answer. but is also not a solution. DMS operates yes only with chrome.

#17 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

@finde hi there, yes the DMS editor is built to only work with the chrome browser.

#18 jordangross

jordangross

• Members

• 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

I'm receiving the same error on a fresh WP install/fresh DMS.  Here's the entire debug output:

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/chroot/home/ap/xxxxxxx.com/html/wp-content/themes/dms

Framework URI
http://www.xxxxxxx.c...tent/themes/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

Child theme
Yes
/chroot/home/ap/xxxxxxx.com/html/wp-content/themes/pagelines-academy-child-theme-master
http://www.xxxxxxx.c...ld-theme-master

PHP memory

Mysql version
5.0.95-log

PHP type
Apache2handler

PHP User
Apache

OS
Linux

Licence OK
xxxxxxx@gmail.com

Installed Plugins
dms-plugin-pro/dms-plugin-pro.php
password-protect-wordpress/plugin.php

DMS Internal Warning
Less Subsystem

According to another post, it looks like this error means DMS is writing CSS on the fly and slows down page loads.  is that true?

#19 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

Looking at the info there, PHP is running as user 'apache', now unless your user is actually apache (guessing here it isnt) thats your problem.

#20 noomaking

noomaking

• Members

• 27 posts
  • LocationDelaware
  • Framework Version:Pagelines Framework Developer Edition,DMS

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:04 AM

How does that make sense Simon_P.

Looking at the info there, PHP is running as user 'apache', now unless your user is actually apache (guessing here it isnt) thats your problem.

How does that make sense? My PHP runs user as _www. How is it that the DMS Less subsystem cannot write to a folder with CHMOD 777. This is a level of finesse that no other wordpress product requires. I provide my own hosting using Mavericks OSX. I have no clue what the host is supposed to do. Do you? If the function requires a specific server setup, shouldn't Pagelines DMS documentation be very explicit about the server requirements for this function to execute properly? There seems to be a gross assumption on server configurations. The requirements in the documentation seems to be be somewhat minimal. 

PageLines DMS has been designed to work with any modern server environment, the recommended minimum requirements are:

• PHP version 5.2.4 or greater (5.3 or greater recommended)
  • MySQL version 5.0 or greater
Users of PHP version 5.2

First and forth most, we recommend contacting your web host provider and ask them to upgrade your PHP version. If this isn't possible for whatever reason, please make sure Magic Quotes is off and Posix is Enabled/Installed.

I meet these requirements. What else do you need to be successful?

Is this feature dependent upon Posix functions? Evidently, POSIX can be a sticky proposition in some circumstances. Just grasping at straws. How can this be so elusive?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DMS, upgrade, chmod