Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to hack into compiled .css and override pagelines?

Question

Posted · Report post

Basically I want a way to reset pagelines attributes from within the files themselves, not the interface. I am fine with using the custom code area but I'm having difficulty locating certain things that don't exist from within custom code. I am using Firebug to locate divs and other objects I want to change since it shows me visually what is wrong. Is this possible?

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

It is impossible to change the values in the compiled CSS as this a combination of all your CSS into one. If you wish to change the default CSS of DMS, you will want to use a child theme and add a less folder which contains all the LESS CSS of DMS.

https://github.com/bearded-avenger/nicks-base-theme

If you download and install the above theme, this already contains a LESS directory with all the less file, for you to edit. Your changes will override the default values by PageLines.

Posted · Report post

Thanks. I am completely new to Pagelines and find it increases complexity when trying to modify the existing design. 

I have heard that it's possible with something like FireFile to modify compiled .css ? Some users report that it's a lifesaver and timesaver while others say it nuked their theme.  --> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefile/

I have another question about this, which is where all the .css lives in pagelines, besides custom code? In other words, where can I access the code that actually defines my page layouts?

If I went the route you suggest, and use this theme, will it destroy my design? Or would it pull in the attributes already there?

Sorry for the flurry of clueless/newbie queries here. 

Thanks

Posted · Report post

You can only access your Custom CSS via the Custom tab in the DMS Toolbar, or, if you're using a child theme or our Customize Plugin, through those.  You can't access, and we don't support modification to core files.  There should be no need to customize compiled.css in any manner as it would accept any changes to your CSS via one of those three avenues.

I'm not quite sure what your goal in modification is, but editing core files violates your support agreement.  I'd urge you not to do that.  Anything you'd want to do by customization of core files is generally attainable in DMS which is a very flexible system.  Many have done amazing things with it, without the need to rewrite core code.

Editing core files risks the destruction of your site; yes. And we'd not be able to support it.  Thus my heartiest recommendation is to use the options available, provided by DMS.  I'm sure you'll find it eminently flexible and accommodating to your needs.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your reply. I have been told by several developers working on this site that due to the pagelines structure, I would not be able to do certain things. Most recently something as basic as adding a full bleed background to the blog template. This is due to the way the theme is structured. So am I getting incorrect info? BTW my blog is here: http://www.dsrstudio.com/blog/

Posted · Report post

You can do ANYTHING with PageLines, we've designed it that way...

We just need to know what specifically you want to do, then we can give you the best practice way to accomplish it. 

Overriding the CSS is possible in a number of ways, but you haven't told us what you're trying to do...

Posted · Report post

2 things specifically I was told were impossible due to Pagelines. #1, add a full bleed image to my blog, dsrstudio.com/blog —this is currently being done with 2 images, which is a hack and doesn't look good in mobile, when the layout changes. I was told specifically by 3 different devs working on this site that this was a limitation of the theme/pagelines

#2, have a percentage based layout on the homepage, so that the page has equal symmetry in the whitespace (left, middle, and right columns) - currently when you view the site on a 15" monitor, the middle column shows more space then the sides.