Photo
- - - - -

upgrade killed my Dashboard

blankscreen no-Dashboard upgrade-problem

Best Answer wren , 25 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

The series of events after updating from within the Dashboard, having forgotten to disable all plug-ins first––

1) site url and Dashboard went blank. But with from ftp, disabling plug-ins brought visibility back

2) something about this problem caused my permissions in my web-server to disable Wordpress from being able to write to my data-base. I had to get support at my host to go in there and fix it for me. Now I'm back on and see normal things happening with my site.

3) From here on out, I won't forget to turn off plug-ins before upgrading, it wreaks havoc.

OK, I'm closing this thread. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wren

wren

Advanced Member

• Members

• 67 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Remember to include as much information about your technical issue as possible for example:

Website URL: http://www.acmeworx.com
Framework Version: just upgraded to dms 1.1 or whatever today's upgrade would be :(
WordPress Version: 3.6.1
Plugins in Use: can't tell, can't see the Dashboard screen anymore. See attached screenshot of the contents on my server which indicates which plug-ins have been installed (can't tell what's activated though). FYI––all plug-ins activated worked just fine prior to my upgrading to the new version of dms today

Server/Host: Laughing Squid
Screenshots: Plug-ins1 Attached File  Plug-ins1.png   91.6KB   2 downloads, Plug-ins2 Attached File  Plug-ins2.png   20.94KB   2 downloads, dms upgrade…wtf? Attached File  dms upgrade…wtf?.png   110.01KB   2 downloads
Details:

The problem is after I ran the installer to upgrade dms from within the Dashboard I tried to go to see my website, totally blank, it now cannot load. Then I tried to go back to my page where the installation was initiated and when I hit the refresh, my Dashboard disappeared. 

I logged onto the Wordpress user forum to see about Dashboard disappearance, for starters, even though my site url is also blank. I saw a 6-year old posting where someone figured out that an index.php file was in their plug-ins folder and removing it fixed the problem for them. I went into my database and removed two very old index.php files which had never caused a problem before. Still no go.

On three different laptops with two different browsers––Chrome and Safari, both the latest versions, my website won't load and I can't see my admin panel.

I just recently switched from using Platform  Pro or whatever, with a child so I wouldn't have my settings messed up with every upgrade. Since I'm about to overhaul my site, I thought this is the perfect time to try out dms. The initial install worked perfectly. Today I thought I'd start to do work but saw the 'upgrade to version 1.1 (or whatever) now' notice from my Dashboard. Super bummer...

I would love to be able to get to work on my site and I have no idea what went wrong with the upgrade, don't know how to fix it. Was it a mistake to try out dms when my old framework was working fine? I would love a straightforward opinion on this. Really glad I decided to wait on getting a subscription before making a commitment to this switch. But I'll reconsider if I can get a helpful response and get back in action asap.

Thanks

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hi there,

This issue is most likely caused by a PHP memory limit setting on your web server. Please ask your web host to increase the memory to 128M or 256M in the php.ini file to see if the site resolves it's self.

Also, it is recommended to disable all plugins before installing as it can be plugin related on occasion. Try re-naming the plugin folder via c-panel or FTP to see if the site comes back, if it does it's plugin related. You'll need to recreate the plugin folder and move each one over, one by one to test which one is causing the conflict and taking the site down.

• wren likes this

#3 wren

wren

Advanced Member

• Members

• 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Thank you, James, you are knighted by me, Gandalph of the Realm of Headscratchers :)

I did all that you suggested, did see the url bring the site back to being visible and am awaiting the host's action on the suggested memory increase.

A few more things––

1) When calling up my domain through my browser, I get directed straight into the Pagelines DMS page from within the Dashboard. I'm advised that my account isn't 'added' or that it's possibly incorrect. But there isn't any place indicated where I can address this issue.(see attachment screenshot)

There are activation buttons for the Pro version but I'm using the basic until I can get my site running and determine whether the paid version will entail a lot of trouble. I've never seen a message advising me to 'add' before so I have no idea why I'm getting this now. But it does seem to be coming at the same time as all the other problems since I upgraded DMS.

2) Since dealing with these issues and now that I can see my Dashboard again, it seems that Pagelines from within my admin panel is advising me as follows––

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue.
To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.

I have forwarded this latter notification to my host, as well. I'm standing by for a reply.

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files

#4 wren

wren

Advanced Member

• Members

• 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-10-24 at 2.54.51 PM.png   114.26KB   0 downloads

woops, I clicked too quickly, I'm adding the correct screenshot attachment here.

Thanks again.

#5 wren

wren

Advanced Member

• Members

• 67 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:46 PM   Best Answer

The series of events after updating from within the Dashboard, having forgotten to disable all plug-ins first––

1) site url and Dashboard went blank. But with from ftp, disabling plug-ins brought visibility back

2) something about this problem caused my permissions in my web-server to disable Wordpress from being able to write to my data-base. I had to get support at my host to go in there and fix it for me. Now I'm back on and see normal things happening with my site.

3) From here on out, I won't forget to turn off plug-ins before upgrading, it wreaks havoc.

OK, I'm closing this thread. 

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know!