Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DMS NavBar menu not loading on mobile site

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I have a DMS site set up with responsive layout.  I have created a custom NavBar using a menu configured in admin, and it works fine when viewed on a desktop.  However, the menu does not show up on the mobile site.  When I view it on a mobile device (iPhone), the menu includes only Home, Categories, and Tags -- and the Home page is empty.  The Home page viewed on desktop should include a Twitter sidebar and several post sliders but these don't show up on mobile.  I've tried creating another, new menu in admin and setting this to the Secondary Nav in Global Options in DMS, but that also didn't work.

An acceptable workaround might be to simply disable the mobile theme, if anyone knows how to do that.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Erin

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

When I view your site and reduce the width of the browser your NavBar and Mobile NavBar work perfectly to how you have configured them. 

http://d.pr/i/swEY

Therefore your issue when viewing on a mobile device is related to your site using WP Touch, is your site Multisite, the plugin could be network enabled. Either way, that is your issue, as if you click disable theme when viewing on a mobile phone, the NavBar works.

So you need to find how your site has WP Touch active if you say it isn't installed, as it clearly is. Once this has been disabled, your mobile navbar will work.

Posted · Report post

Are you using DMS 1.1? Are all those sections in the sidebar, I note you said twitter sidebar etc. There was an issue where the custom/default sidebar widgets were being displayed, this was logged as an issue and fixed in the latest update.

If that's not the case, are you making sure the custom nav is selected in the global navigation options - http://screencast.com/t/0AuYukMMiGd

If you could send us a link to the site and a screenshot of the settings if possible for the nav we'll take a closer look for you.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Is this now issue now resolved, as when I view your site on my iPhone, you appear to be using WPTouch plugin.

Posted · Report post

Hi Adam thanks for checking.  It does look like the WPTouch plugin is somehow being used, although on my dashboard it does not appear to be installed (!).  Maybe DMS somehow incorporates it?  Anyhow, the issue is not resolved.  When you view the site on your phone, you see a menu that includes Home, Tags, and Categories.  Selecting "Home" does not show any actual content (compare to the desktop version of the site), and there are several other pages in the site that are not displayed.

Any help in solving this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Erin

Posted · Report post

Hi,

DMS doesn't include the WP Touch plugin, therefore you must have it installed.

Also, the Mobile Menu is configured separately to your NavBar menu. You can configure it by going to DMS Toolbar > Settings > Layout & Nav > Primary and Secondary and select your menu from there.

The Primary is generally used for your main menu links and the secondary is used for sub menu items. 

Posted · Report post

Hi Danny, I do have the Layout & Nav configured with the custom page menu that I set in WP Admin: http://cogwheelproductions.com/screenshot

But for some reason this is not carrying through to the mobile menu.

I really do not have WPTouch installed.  The only plugin I see in my WP Admin is Akismet: http://cogwheelproductions.com/screenshot2

Thanks,

Erin

Posted · Report post

Aha!  Yes you are right, WPTouch is installed at a network level.  I'm working at a university and it is a multisite installation.  Thanks for solving this - I will ask them to disable for my site.

Erin

Posted · Report post

No problem :D