• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vinofanten

vinofanten

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi. 

My Wordpress Admin and DMS page have been extremely slow lately, and loading these pages takes forever. Therefore, I just performed a speed optimizing test with the P3 Plugin Profiler, where I got some interesting results (see attached images).

The following results explains the slowness lately:

Total Load Time: over 50s

Site Load Time: 8s

Profile Overhead 41s (not sure what this is, but 41s can't be good)

Theme Load Time: 6,4s

Queries: 92

I know that optimizing images and css/javascript code, as well as using a cache plugin, will optimize site loading times, but I am wondering why the total load time and the theme load time are so high. Can anyone explain how I can improve this? FYI I'm using the Academy Theme by James Giroux, I have about 20 plugins (none of them should be the problem according to the performed speed test), and I've only posted a few posts. For me, the problem is mainly back end, where editing in the admin area and in DMS takes forever. Viewing the website front end seems to be OK.

My URL is: www.pastaevinoblog.com/wordpress

Hope that someone will be able to explain how to fix this.

https://dumpyourphot...hoto/WVeJquZ9ft

https://dumpyourphot...hoto/kZs2XkyBVb

#2 vinofanten

vinofanten

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

PS. PL Debug is on.

http://www.pastaevin...ress/?pldebug=1

#3 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi @vinofanten - Thanks for posting the debug info. Right away the fact that you have 42 plugins stands right out to me as a major drain on resources. I'd first suggest you try to bring that number down as much as possible. I would also suggest you reach out to your host and ask them to address the PHP Open basedir restriction. Let us know how you get on after that.

#4 vinofanten

vinofanten

• Members

• 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Jake, I'll try that first. Is it sufficient to just deactivate the plugins that I don't use, or do I have to delete them completely? I mean, will the website load deactivated plugins?

#5 James Giroux

James Giroux

Community Director

• Moderators

• 141 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada
  • Framework Version:Developer

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hey there!

Jake is right deactivating plugins will reduce the load time on your site.  Each plugin contains its own scripts, styles, etc.  When you have many of those running on a page, it loads all their information into your header before the page even loads.  That can cause a significant increase to how long it takes the page to render as it has to process all those style scripts and files first before loading up the page.  With my themes I optimize all images before including them but they are still big images in some cases just by virtue of their placement and needing to be big enough for multiple screen sizes.  Try reducing the number of plugins and go from there.

James.

• Jake likes this

#6 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Hi @vinofanten - Opinions vary on disabling vs deleting but as a general rule what I do is disable plugins I may use again (like the wordPress importer, maintenance page or thumbnail regenerators, for example) but ones I'm pretty sure I won't be using on my site, I delete. In your case, I'd definitely at least start by disabling and if that solves your speed problem, perfect!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Details, slow admin, back end, speed optimizing