table problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi. I am having odd behavior. I keep trying to lay out fixed width tables and somehow it keeps expanding them across the entire page. If i open my html locally, it looks right. In dreamweaver, it looks right. I drop it into pagelines and wham, it centers my video image and spreads my four links across the entire page. Is this theme overriding something?

Please see: http://enfieldtech.c...tioning-system/

#2 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi @frankgiuliano - I recommend you steer clear from tables as much as possible and utilize the responsive grid (http://docs.pageline...responsive-grid) and all the section options in DMS instead. 

#3 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Can I use this with my old version of pagelines? Would you be able to look at my underlying table structure and show me how you'd covert it?

#4 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

My apologies @frankgiuliano - I neglected to notice which forum you were posting in. Try adding the following custom CSS to your site and see if that helps the situation:

table {width: auto !important;}

#5 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

I just pasted:

table {width: auto !important;}

Into the custom CSS section.

Still looks the same. See original link. 

#6 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm trying to have the videos on the left and the titles/icons directly underneath. 

#7 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hi there,

Try

table {
    width: 500px !important;
}

Unfortunately WP and dreamweaver don't play well together when copy/pasting the code over, if you look in the html for the table in the text view for the page/post has it placed in alignment and sizes in the code?

#8 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Nope. Didn't work either.

#9 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Is this the amount of pro level support I get? Sorry to be so blunt, but I went with you guys for ease of use (and I'm not a dev). Can you actually look at the underlying source code and please tell me how you would do it differently so the video is left aligned and the four images/text fall directly below it? 

#10 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi @frankgiuliano - My apologies that you're feeling frustrated. We actually don't officially provide support for Platform Pro anymore but do try to help out if we can when folks write into the forum. Our Pro Support is available for DMS users with paid subscriptions and as web technologies change quite rapidly, we recommend DMS, or as an alternative, you could try the product that came after Platform - the PageLines Framework - which is available for free as an open source project on GitHub https://github.com/p...Lines-Framework.

Many table functions have been deprecated in more recent versions of HTML and as a result, it's likely going to be difficult to achieve the look you're going for. We have done some inspecting of the site and feel the problem is a result of using Dreamweaver and tables as James explained, they just don't play well with WordPress.

#11 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

My Advice would be to move over to either the new DMS or the PageLines Framework. 

The Framework is more like PlatformPro in look and feel. In PageLines Framework PageLines Framework encompasses a completely responsive grid systemhttp://support.pagel...us/grid-system/ 

You can download Framework from https://github.com/p...Lines-Framework 

Framework is still supported on the forum. 

#12 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Why am i paying "+Plus Developer Membership" every month then? Is there a simple way to do what i'm asking using the old version of pagelines without dealing with an entire site redo?

#13 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hello Frank. 

i have checked your PageLines account and you have purchases for the Framework but not Platform Pro. (the topic is located in the Platform Pro Forum). Maybe that you have two different accounts? 

Please can you confirm that you are using the Platform Pro system or the PageLines Framework?

If you are using Framework (the product you have paid for) you can use the Grid system built into the Framework. 

You also had a PageLines Plus account at the time of the release of DMS so your Plus account was grandfathered into a DMS subscription so you have full access to the DMS system.  

Can you create an admin account for your site and send the credentials (along with a link to the forum topic)  to hello @ pagelines.com and i will jump on your site and take a look nd suggest an alternative method of working this out 

#14 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

sent email to hello...thanks

#15 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have checked the HTMl you have pasted into the page. 

the visual interpretation that Wordpress gives is as follows http://d.pr/i/tupt

Inspecting the table  shows us that each of the table columns is 75 and this is causing everything to be centered due to the rigid formatting on the table.  http://d.pr/i/jnrF

<tr>
<td width="75">User's Manual</td>
<td width="75">Overview</td>
<td width="75">Dimensional Drawing</td>
<td width="75">STEP File</td>
</tr>

Is how the HTML you have pasted looks. Try changing the html you have pasted so that it better reflects the width 

This is how that would work 

<table width="200">
<tr>
<td>
some text
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Would display as follows http://d.pr/i/L9ym

#16 frankgiuliano

frankgiuliano

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I am trying this, but the video is still being centered and the icons/links are still spreading out over the entire page:

#17 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Hello Frank 

Do you have a test install of your live site? 

In my opinion the best way to resolve this issue and not use deprecated HTML tables is to update the test site (copy of the live site) with the PageLines Framework and use the Responsive Grid that is built in to the Framework as standard. It is very easy to use and will produce a responsive grid rather than a structured table. 

The problem you are facing comes from the deprecated table functionality which is using inline styling rather than CSS. Also, as you are pasting in content from Dreamweaver we are stymied how much we can help with custom code.