Issues with Fixed NavBar

Question

Posted · Report post

I've tried to change the image for the Fixed NavBar without success. Others appear to have been having the same problem but it doesn't look like the issue has been resolved yet. Can you tell me if a solution has been found or when you anticipate one?

I've cleared my cache, checked my plugins, checked the menu, etc. and nothing seems to work.

The fixed navbar loads correctly on 404 pages and that's about it. All of the other pages are not able to pull the image from the URL for the Fixed NavBar.

The website was built then loaded to my client's site last week without any problems. We needed to change the Fixed NavBar image, that worked previously but now it is NOT showing an image that is clearly there in the DMS side of the site, admin area, and shows on the 404 pages.

The site is brainwavecoaching.com. A copy of the DMS page and what appears in the Fixed navbar larea is attached.

If the issue is unsolvable right now, are you able to provide me with code that will allows me to remove the image in it's entirety until the issue is fixed.

Thanks very much,

Sue

29 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Sue,

Well, this is weird.

I see on your homepage, the faint outline of an image, and right clicking says an image is there.  When I go to view it, the link turns to a 404. It's taking me here: http://brainwavecoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Phone-s-for-NavBar.png

So, this begs the questions, is that the correct URL for the image?   How are you including the image? Via a Media Library link; typing the URL or copying/pasting it from somewhere?

Have you updated your Permalinks?  Try going to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, just Save the settings.  This will re-write all incorrect permalinks in the site. 

Let me know how this goes, and the answers to those questions.  We'll see what else we can do to improve this for you!

Posted · Report post

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your response.

If you test the site with something like brainwavecoaching.com/test/ ... to get an error page ... you will see that the 404 page pulls the logo.  I have uploaded the image several times, added via media already in the library and trying to paste the media URL the link. All of them produce the same result. The 404 page is the only one that seems to pull the image. Very strange.

The issue seems to be the same as that highlighted in this forum topic: http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/30309-fixed-navbar-stuck-changes-not-working/?hl=fixed+navbar

It appears to still be unresolved after a few weeks and a few pages of back and forth comments.

Thanks for looking into this. Appreciated!

Posted · Report post

Sue,

If you send me a new admin level login I'll go in and check out what's going on.

Please email it to robert@pagelines.com and please include the image that should be included.

I'll be happy to see what I can do.

Posted · Report post

Will do ... give me a couple of minutes and it will be on it's way.

Quick note, I did an 'inspect element' in Chrome on both a page where the image isn't coming up and the error page where it is coming up. Interestingly the error page shows the correct URL for the image http://brainwavecoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/NavBar-Phones3.png and the other pages have a different URL for the image http://brainwavecoaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09Phone-s-for-NavBar.png, which produces an error. This even though the URL entered for the NavBar is the correct one.

Thanks for your help Rob!

Posted · Report post

Anytime Sue!  Let's see what we can do to get you sorted out successfully! :)

Posted · Report post

Sue,

I've checked everything I can.  The only thing I can find is that the image appears on the 404 page because the template is different. On all the other pages, where the image won't appear, the template is not the same as that of the 404.   I tried applying the 404 page's template to the Contact page, but it still didn't work.

I'm going to ask Danny to look into this in the morning.  He's in very early and darn good with diagnostics.   I did the following:

1. fixed the image height (it was 2 px too tall).

2. verified there's no custom CSS

3. deactivated all plugins except DMS Pro Tools

4. enabled IE fix in DMS Pro Tools

5. updated permalinks

6. re-uploaded the image

7. cleared all previous uploads of the image

I do notice one odd thing.  Your DMS account isn't set up, unless it's just hiding it from me, but I don't see some of the key sections a full license would offer.

Can you check that?

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

Thanks for looking into this.

The Pro Account is set up and shows on my end.

You may want to check out the forum link here  http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/30309-fixed-navbar-stuck-changes-not-working/?hl=fixed as I think this is an issue a few people are having problems with.

The only time there seems to be an issue is when the image for the Fixed NavBar is changed and the only place it doesn't seem to be an issue, according to the other forum, is the 404 page. Strange.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Would you have the CSS for removing the image in it's entirety, at least until the problem is resolved?

Thanks,

Sue

Posted · Report post

Sue, I'll be happy to provide that, but let's allow Danny to check it out.  He's really good with this and handled much of that forum.

Posted · Report post

OK, so I have had a look at your issue and I have to say, it's an odd one. I removed your NavBar logo image and refreshed your site, when your loaded again, the image link was still in your source code.

Therefore, the only thing I can think of is that this is either server related i.e. your debug info displays PHP 5.2 (old and should be updated) and also you have PHP Register Globals : Yes (bad). So contact your host and ask them to address both issues.

Another thing that could be causing the issue is the way you added the site to your clients server, how did you achieve this ?

Also did you upload the image via the Uploader or was it added via the Media Library ?

Posted · Report post

Sue, now that Danny's looked at it, here's the code I promised:

.navbar .plbrand img {
    display: none;
    max-height: 29px;
}

Posted · Report post

Thanks Rob.

Posted · Report post

suecockburn

You never mentioned if you uploaded your logo image via the Media LIbrary, can you confirm/refute please. As another user was having a similar issue and the issue was created by selecting an image from the Media Library.

Posted · Report post

Good morning Danny,

I tried to add the new one through the  media library, through uploading it directly and through changing the NavBar image URL.

Wondering if this has any bearing on this issue: I had created the template on a different WordPress site, where I had changed the NavBar image a number of times without issue, I then used the 'Import + Export' function to move it to this site.

Posted · Report post

So did the issue appear when you changed the NavBar image via the Media Library or when you imported the theme data ?

Posted · Report post

Everything imported fine. A few days after the site was imported I made some minor changes to the image and when I tried to change it the problem occurred.

Posted · Report post

OK, it sounds like the issue was caused by the Media Library bug, which has been fixed and in an upcoming patch.

Posted · Report post

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Sue, has it been fixed? I noted someone else reported this issue around the same time you did.

Posted · Report post

Hi Rob,

No, but Danny mentioned that there is a fix coming out for it. I'm wondering if it is tied to building a theme one place and then exporting it to another, as this hasn't been an issue on another of my sites. For now, I've used css to hide the image on the site where the problem is occuring.

Thanks Rob!

Posted · Report post

1.1 has been released, can you update to this version and see if this resolves your issue.

Posted · Report post

I have updated to 1.1, flushed cache and the image broken link will still not release, as well full menu does not show and color is not changinging

www.greenroostermarket.com

Posted · Report post

@j powers

You have a Server Error 505 in the browser console. Therefore, this could be related to your server, have you also tried disabling all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools ?

Can you also enable Pl debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Posted · Report post

@j powers

You have a Server Error 505 in the browser console. Therefore, this could be related to your server, have you also tried disabling all active plugins except for DMS Pro Tools ?

Can you also enable Pl debug mode - DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Will have to check in the server error, debug is already on, Ive disabled all plugins and flushed cache, still the same.

Posted · Report post

As well the 505 error is likely a scripting error from dms, no servers errors found  

Posted · Report post

While inspecting element I clicked on the photo that is suppose to be in the Nav bar that does not exist in my media library and it brings me to my 404 page, 

http://www.greenroostermarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Slider1v2.jpg

oddly enough the Fixed Nav bar works on that page,  image is gone and menu items all show up. Where is this image impacting all other pages ?

How do I clear this