Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3rd Party Compatibility

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

Although I love the DMS, after a few weeks of development I've ran into some real limitations. The platform needs so many more extensions to add depth. (e.g. testimonials, lightbox, portfolio(s), captcha, form builder, etc., etc.) I've found several plugins that seem to work from 3rd parties to supplement these large gaps, but once I start installing quality premium plugins the DMS just breaks. The time it is taking me to extend the DMS's functionality through trial and error efforts on various plugins is just too long, unpredictable and frustrating.

For example, the premium UberMenu has a free special "shell" extension that allows it to be compatible with the DMS from what I understand. I'm trying to use FormCraft to build more depth in my forms, but it seems like it's fighting the framework's CSS or something. I also wanted to use Go Responsive Portfolio to display some of my work, but that breaks the framework too. PageLines really should build a "shell" that allows 3rd party plugins to work correctly, locking their code up from installed plugin code so compatibility is clean and consistent. DMS should be a level above these plugins in the sense of implementation. Only the dinky, half-assed plugins work. As soon as a professional plugin is installed it tanks the framework. If I were a true developer this wouldn't matter, but seeing as though this is a Design Management System, I would assume this compatibility would be at the top of the list. 

Aside from PageLines stepping up their game in the extensions area, they should start a page that lists compatible 3rd party plugins so designers don't have to spend all of their valuable time trying to troubleshoot and play musical plugins to find working options.

For instance... I know these plugins work...

awesome-filterable-portfolio.1.7.4

contact-form-7.3.4.2

mappress-google-maps-for-wordpress.2.40.7

testimonials-widget.2.13.5

promotion-slider.3.3.4

I have many more, but this is the idea... And although these work technically, they are weak representations of what I'd ultimately like to have.  I'd really like to use the DMS long-term, but with no indication that the extensions will expand or improve, I question longevity of it's use and relevance regarding larger applications.

So... does anyone have such a list started I can help with or refer to? Does anyone know how to work around these compatibility issues without waiting for PageLines or a 3rd party developer to create a solution? Is there something I don't know about or understand? Does the new 2.2 offer resolve?

I'm currently using DMS 1.0, WP 3.6.1, Chrome 30.0.1599.101

Thanks for any recommendations and assistance.

Robert Toler

Edited by rztoler

5 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi rztoler - I'm very sorry you've been running into problems with plugins and appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We do have a "sticky" post that we started soon after launch at http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28827-dms-plugin-compatibility-check-list/ and I encourage you to report your findings there as well as search through the forums for input from others when evaluating new plugins. 

I can assure you that the DMS developers take great care in building on up-to-date, streamlined code in accordance with all WP best practices. That doesn't guarantee every plugin will work, every time but we do find more often than not, that 3rd party developers are willing and interested in updating their products to ensure DMS compatibility.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Jake...

I really do like the DMS, I just wish the development of plugins was a bit quicker and more vast, but I'm patient for the most part. Certainly, I won't contract any clientele until there is more meat on the bone, but all in due time. I will wade through some of the forum's content to see what I can find. I did notice a post or two about compatibility, but there is no formatting or consistency so it really doesn't save anyone time. Forums in general need reinvented on every site Internet wide. It's interesting the entire web has been reshaped and changed to offer much better interaction, but the concept of forums hasn't changed since the beginning. All forums have been done the same way since I started developing in 2001. It could be done so much better, I digress...

May be I'll start a comprehensive list on my site that offers designers quick reference without having to read pages of comments to find substance. I've managed to configure tons in the DMS. I get the majority (90%) of what I want done, but there are some important plugins I just wish I could use and can't.

How do I find a qualified PageLines Developer to modify 3rd Party Plugins to work within the DMS??? I would hire one on the spot to modify two or three plugins I have here that aren't compatible. I gots the money!!! ;)

I appreciate your reply Jake, make it a wonderful day!

Robert Toler

Edited by rztoler
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Hello rztoler. 

We have a group of Developers who take on this kind of work. But usually contacting the developer of the plugin often results in updates that fix problems. 

Please drop us an email to hello @  pagelines.com directed to either myself or jake and we will make sure our community manager gets the details of any dev's that can help with this. 

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, I guess I really didn't think of that, good thought Martin. In the universe that is Wordpress, I suppose I didn't know how relevant Pagelines was and if a plugin developer would entertain such a request. Generally a plugin developer is also a theme developer and I wouldn't think they'd want to create a patch for competitor products. It's worth a try though!!! I will email if I require further assistance.

Thanks guys.

Posted · Report post

You'd be surprised rztoler - we've had quite a few developers work with us to ensure their products are available for our users. Definitely reach out to them and encourage them to download the free version of DMS if they haven't already to do a little testing on their end! http://wordpress.org/themes/dms