Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Improving Pagespeed: Javascript and Visible Content

Question

Posted · Report post

I'm on a quest to improve my Pagespeed score. I've recently reduced my JS files from 17 to 5 with BWP Minify, and while this has improved my score on Pingdom, my Pagespeed score remains as it has been. The prime culprits seem to be javascript above the fold and visible content not loading first in the HTML. I've searched for resources to learn how to correct these two issues, but cannot for the life of me find how to implement the methods they provide with DMS. Both issues, it seems, can be addressed through the main HTML file. Alas, I see nothing of the kind in the wordpress editor nor through ftp.

If it is at all relevant, here is my site. Hopefully someone with much more experience than myself can point me to some solution.

All the best,

Brian

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Brian,

I am by no means an expert when it comes to optimization, but according to Pingdom Tools, you have 166 HTTP requests, this is rather high, if you reduced that amount, I am positive your site would load faster.

As far as I can tell (again, not an expert), your main problem is Facebook scripts and something called MediaMatch, these appear to be the main culprits, along with Google Syndication.

You should also think about optimizing your images before uploading them. When I use jpegs, I use jpegMini on them, to optimize their size, you can also use a similar app for .pngs.

Also who are you hosted by ?

Posted · Report post

Danny, Thanks for your reply. Image optimization and reducing server load would no doubt help site speed. They're both on my to do list. But they're both given yellow warnings rather than red and so fall to a lower priority than javascript and visible content. I'm also looking at pingdom, which suggests I should parallelize the siteload, but that seems like a server issue rather than a theme one. 

Anyway, I take it from your response that there's no easy way to reorder items in the HTML file with DMS. That's a bummer. I may have luck moving the javascript with the BWP Minify plugin. It includes a feature that posts scripts in the footer, but to use that I need to find out which handles to use (haven't figured that out yet). 

In any event, thank you for your help.

Posted · Report post

What do you mean by "Reorder items int eh HTML file with DMS"?

Posted · Report post

For instance, it is not until line 225 of my page source code that the header image is loaded. If I understand Google's guideline to "Prioritize Visible Content" correctly, then this would not be considered ideal. It is my understanding that the theme is responsible for loading the page HTML file so browsers can read it. I may be wrong (honestly, I'm making claims off of nothing more than an intuition). If I'm not, then there should be some way to order the elements so they are loaded according to Google's standard. Again, I may be wrong about this. If so, please feel free to point out my mistake.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Not read that before in regards to where your content starts in the source. However, I have just reviewed the source of a vanilla installation of DMS and my body tag starts at line 111. However, if you use a cache plugin and minify your scripts, this should reduce that.

Therefore, if your content is starting on line 225 then you need to review your plugins, custom scripts. Also try using a child theme instead of the Custom Code panel.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted · Report post

No problem.