2 replies to this topic

#1 Aires

Aires

• Members

• 189 posts
  • LocationAlabama
  • Framework Version:DMS-2

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well I finally managed to convert one of my existing sites to DMS. And what a rocky road it has been. The first mistake I made was installing DMS on an already existing site with tons of plugins activated. In doing so caused multiple script errors which made my site inaccessible. I  had to removed DMS via FTP and start over.  I started this time by deactivating  every plugin and installing DMS again. Once installed I went to work adding sections and such until I had a descent homepage.  Made a template page and pumped out all the  basic templates. Still working on the game page templates but it should be a breeze.

Now on to the plugins:

WP Online store:   Problem-Caused font issues and padding problems also made the edit pencil not show on a couple sections  / also made Latest Blog Entries a full width section and could not be dragged into another column

Solution- Deactivate & Delete

Cute Slider: Cancelled out many sections like icallout and better boxes but could be used on pages with out these particular sections

ET shortcodes :  Did not work with DMS installed

ET Handheld:  Script error at the top of the page but was still accessable  in chrome but not in Firefox

BBpress:  Nothing but issues

Solution- Working on it (not giving up on this one)

Custom Log In page:  It worked but was no longer needed

WP Lightbox: Problem – the plugin quit working but the images were still there just not in a Lightbox

ET Anticipate:  Problem - Script error

Solution: Deactivate & Delete

Paypal Donate: Problem – instead of a button the shortcode  was visible

Contact form:  Problem – Only shortcode was visible

Solution- Deactivate & Delete (installed contact form 7 and it works)

NextScripts - Social Networks Auto-Poster:  Works fine

Social Slider by ARScode:  Works fine

Custom Widget Areas for WordPress:   Problem - Needs more testing  (while activate I had to hit publish 7 to 8 times in order to get the green light and some times it works on the first try)

Solution – Deactivated but I don’t think I need it anymore

Responsive Searchable 3 Level Accordion For Wordpress:  It worked ok as a widget it just look tacky inside DMS

Solution – Deactivate & Delete  (Looking for a DMS alternative)

Jetpack: Problem – Worked great until I started using better boxes and the image would  not load  from each box

Solution – Deactivate for now till I find a fix

After all that  head scratching  here is where I am at now  http://sabotagegaming.net/  not 100% yet I still have to redo every game page. Originally each page had its own background  image and content area color so this should be easy with DMS.

Some issues I ran into were the sections and widgets in sidebar  appearing to close together  in some case it was like they were on top of each other. While I am writing this it dawns on me that I could maybe create a style for padding ... so I will mess around with that later, but it would be  nice to have a padding option with in all sections and not just certain ones. 

• batman likes this

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences @Aires

Turning off the plugins, particularly any older ones is a best practice before installing DMS, or any framework, platform or theme. It's a good way to avoid conflicts.

Another good practice is to conduct a compatibility check with plugins from time to time to make sure things are all up to date. It's a safe way to keep your site up to date and conflict free.

#3 batman

batman

Bat Learning

• Members

• 1733 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi @Aires

Thanks for sharing

I take note

wpml_mail.gif