PostPins Duplicating Post Content

Question

Posted · Report post

PostPins are loading duplicate content.  If I set it too a maximum of 4, it will continue to print only the first 4 posts.  If I set it to eight, then eight, so on and so forth.  I have disabled all plugins to avoid any type of conflicts.  I have tried using infinite loading yet the results remain the same.  Aside of installing a fresh clean slate (website and plugin) I have tried all possible variables.  My conclusion is, the latest version of Pagelines DMS and the latest version of Postpins do not like each other.

Please advise

Thank you

Framework Version:   DMS Version 1.0.4

WordPress Version: Wordpress 3.6.1

Plugins in Use:   CloudinaryCustom sidebars,  DMS Professional Tools, Featured Image Via URL, Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions, PostPins

Server/Host: Bluehost

13 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

So, being that I am not that guy who is going to give up looking for a solution after I recruit more help to try and come up with a solution; I found it.  Not that it is a fix, but it is a decent work around.  If you are having this same issue.  It is most likely not a plugin conflict issue.  I found that with my situation, I had to give my posts a category name like "front page" and assign it to all of the posts that I want to appear on the front page.  If you leave this option blank it will by default load all posts, once for each category it is listed in. This is where all of the duplicate content comes from.  Now if you try this and you are still having this issue grab this plugin

(Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions), install, and use according to instructions.

**WARNING**

I highly recommend backing up and saving your current layout as a Template.  I don't know why, (probably one of those new PL DMS kinks we have grown use too)  but doing this optimization resets your front page default template back to default. No worries though, go through these steps, then restore your template.

Pagelines if you are reading this:  Please look into these kinks..  

With Postpins you may try something like:

<?php $recent = new WP_Query("cat=A&showposts=9");
while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();
if( $post->ID == $do_not_duplicate) continue;
update_post_caches($posts); ?>
<b><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></b>
<?php the_content_limit(130, ""); ?>
<?php endwhile; ?>

With Pagelines: that one isn't as easy but I am not the one getting paid here am I ;)  However, the front page should not reset to default every time someone uses a database optimize and clean-up, for example like the process that happens with the plugin: Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions.

Cheers everyone.  Hope this helps

Posted · Report post

How can I recreate this issue, as I am unable to do so ?

Posted · Report post

Which issue?  Optimizing and Cleaning the database or the duplicate content?  

Details:

I have 22 posts and 23 categories.  All of the posts are marked sticky.  Initially the front page was left blank on the postpins category option, which would by default print all posts in all categories.  This is also when I was getting duplicate content.  After dedicating a category called front page and assigning it to the front page I no longer got duplicate content.

As for the other issue.  All you need to do to recreate this issue is install the plugin, "Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions" activate and use, then Voila'. 

Hope this helps  :)

Posted · Report post

OK, would it be possible for you to export your posts and send them me in an email so I can try to recreate this, as on my test, I was unable to.

danny at pagelines dot com

Also, regarding your database issue, are you saying that when you install that plugin and use it, your homepage settings get reverted to default ?

Posted · Report post

Yes, it reverts back to default

Posted · Report post

Can you send me your exported posts so I can test please, as I was not able to recreate your issue on my own. Also why do you have all you posts set to sticky ?

If the plugin you're using is reverting the homepage back to default settings you will need to contact the developer of the plugin and ask for assistance, as it may be doing something it shouldn't do.

Posted · Report post

Hi Flourish,

I'm unable to replicate this, are you using the latest version of Postpins and DMS? If i set the number of posts to show I don't get any duplicates showing, if i click to load more it runs through the posts until the end of the loop then stops.

Please check you're on the lastest version of the plugin and is possible screenshot us your settings for the postpins in the DMS control panel.

Posted · Report post

Hey Flourish, no you are not going crazy.  It is amazing to me though that we have no problem running into this issue.  However, Pagelines "Staff" can't seem to replicate the problem, now there is a go figure.  I have found that anytime Pagelines is unable to come up with a fix this is there answer.  

Flourish, I found that following my advice up top at the beginning of this thread works as a patch.  However, Pagelines really needs to come up with a fix.

Posted · Report post

@A Nerd Apart

I have asked you twice to send me your posts via an export from Wordpress, which you have failed to do. If you send me your posts data and screenshots of your settings, I will try and recreate the issue, which at present I am unable to do.

You also do not answer any of my questions, such as why do you have over 20 posts set to sticky ?

We can't provide a fix to something we can not recreate, when a user reports a potential bug, we have to recreate it ourselves. As the issue you're experiencing could be related to a number of factors such as plugins, custom code i.e. scripts, CSS etc..

I can guarantee that our staff do not simply say, "we can not recreate the issue, therefore its not a bug" because we can not come up with a fix. We say it because we can't create the issue.

So, if you can send me your exported posts and screenshots of your postpins settings. I will try and recreate the issue.

Posted · Report post

Hi, I have the same problem, DMS + Viewer 1.0.1 theme, out-of-the-box Postpins section doesn't really paginate contents, it's always adding only first page of pins.

Update: I've tried to setup the same environment locally and there it works without problems.

Update 2: I've found it out. It doesn't work with Section Caching in Pagelines PRO Plugin ... :(

Posted · Report post

I do not believe that I had section caching enabled when the problem occured for me. But, I ended up finding another solution because the issue was not resolved and I needed to move on. 

Posted · Report post

Hello Flourishdesignstudio 

Can you let us know what the other solution was please?