Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving Comments Link

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I would like to be able to move the "comments" link to the bottom of a page, rather than the top....

Can I do that? 

Thanks!

15 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi mgtidwell - I believe you're probably referring to the link to blog post comments that appear under the post title? If so, you'll need to do some tweaking via hooks or to the section itself with a child theme. Take a look at http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks and http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/override-sections for more information.

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks Jake! 

I've started this process, but have a question...which "section" do I alter the post in? I assumed the "postloop" but am having a hard time with it. Any tips? 

Thanks! 

Posted · Report post

Hi, if you log in and go to a post, then click the little pencil icon for editing the post, you will see in the DMS editing area (bottom of your screen, a Meta Config area.  In there, you'll see all the meta tag shortcodes. You can remove the comments bit there.  Copy it first.

Then, at the bottom of the post, add a Text Area, and in there, you can paste the shortcode.  Save the post and make sure that added Text Area is actually global (all posts). Save the template as well.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Rob! 

Ok — so I think I got that, except how do I make the text area "global?" I can't figure out how to make that happen. 

Thanks!

-m 

Posted · Report post

When you add or edit the textbox, you'll see on the left in the DMS edit area, two tabs. They say "Section Options" and either Type or Local.  Make sure you click Type.  That makes it global for all posts.  Local would be for just the one post.

Including it in the template will also insure it goes global.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Below, you'll see the way I did it.  I copied the code from the Content PostLoop and pasted it into a Textbox.

[attachment=1643:10-12-2013 5-32-16 PM.jpg]

[attachment=1644:10-12-2013 5-34-08 PM.jpg]

In the Content/Postloop, I just used a blank space to remove the comments option there, since it was to appear below the post.

Making it permanent for all posts was as simple as selecting the Type option.  I'm not sure why you're not seeing that, unless there's a setting missing, or a plugin's causing a conflict.

Are you fully upgraded to the latest DMS?

Posted · Report post

Thanks so much Rob! I think I got it working...I think. : ) 

Posted · Report post

Fingers crossed!

Posted · Report post

Ok Rob...I figured out why this wasn't working for me! I thought I had it, but I didn't. 

I'm actually trying to get the comments link at the bottom of a post on a page with all of the posts in a content/postloop. So, there would be 5 posts on a page and each post would have a "comments link" at the bottom. Does that make sense? 

I got it to work on an individual post, so thats good...I just can't get it on the main blog page...

Any suggestions? Thanks! 

Posted · Report post

Hi,

To include a Comments link at the bottom of each of your excepts on your Blog page would require the use of a hook. You can learn more about hooks here - http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/hooks

You could also use ActionMap and Hooker to make it easier.

Posted · Report post

Cool — got it! Thanks Danny. Ok, one last question...I can't seem to get action maps to work...its not showing up anywhere in my admin bar. Any suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Posted · Report post

Hi mgtidwell - Some folks were reporting issues with Action Map in DMS last week where they were having problems with it not showing up in the admin bar. I'll inquire with the developers to see where things are at with that. 

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks Jake! appreciate it. 

Posted · Report post

The problem may have been related to an outage of part of our system.  Let us know if it's working now.