Adding in a Search Box

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I'm trying to add a search box to the footer of my website, but I'm having a hard time for multiple reasons. 

I used a code from wordpress to call it:

<form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo home_url( '/' ); ?>">

<div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
<input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" />
<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</div>
</form>

But I dont think that I did the right thing. It's messing up the list that I have it within...and I dont know where to point the search to.

The web address is: ninaandwes.com...It's on maintenance mode, so the login is admin/blue22. 

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I'm trying to add a search box to the footer of my website, but I'm having a hard time for multiple reasons. 

I used a code from wordpress to call it:

<form role="search" method="get" id="searchform" action="<?php echo home_url( '/' ); ?>">
<div><label class="screen-reader-text" for="s">Search for:</label>
<input type="text" value="" name="s" id="s" />
<input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value="Search" />
</div>
</form>

But I dont think that I did the right thing. It's messing up the list that I have it within...and I dont know where to point the search to.

The web address is: ninaandwes.com...It's on maintenance mode, so the login is admin/blue22. 

Thanks!

Have you just thought about creating a custom sidebar with the custom sidebar plugin? I did that for one if my clients sites and just dropped in the default Wordpress search widget. Then on the DMS front end, add the widgetizer section to the area of the page you want the search box to appear and then select the search box sidebar you created.

Posted · Report post

In the footer, the Columnizer would work better than WIdgetizer.  But you'll want an additional custom sidebar, and to create that, I recommend http://codecanyon.net/item/total-dynamic-sidebar/3287804?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=zourbuth

It will do the trick!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

In the footer, the Columnizer would work better than WIdgetizer.  But you'll want an additional custom sidebar, and to create that, I recommend http://codecanyon.net/item/total-dynamic-sidebar/3287804?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=zourbuth

It will do the trick!

Rob

So what features would the plugin you recommend have over the Custom Sidebar one? Just curious because I use and create a lot of custom sidebars on almost all sites I build and I'm always looking for better sidebar creation plugins. May need to buy this one.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hey!

thanks so much for the help guys...I'm moving in that direction, however, I've run into another roadblock. Ideally, I would love for the search box to function as a box, rather than an icon that you have to click on/hover over in order to make the box appear. It seems to me like the pagelines search widget can only be that icon...

Does that make sense? 

Any tips? 

Posted · Report post

Hi, The Search can be changed, it only appears as an icon due to CSS. You can inspect the CSS and change it to your liking.