Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What's the difference? youtube responsive problem in DMS

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

frustrating but I cannot see the logic behind dms working with youtube url's.

In this blogposting: http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/2013/03/videoblog-open-dag-han-arnhem-maart-2013.html/

I entered the youtube link and DMS makes it wonderufl responsive. Not tricks no code, just a clean url from youtube.

And in this posting: http://www.hansonexperience.com/blog/2013/09/videoblog-kick-off-han-food-business-2013.html/ you can see the ugly black bars above and at the bottom. I did it with the same plane url from youtube.

I cannot figure out what the difference is between these postings, just the fact that the first one is published before I had DMS and the last one is published with DMS.

Could that be the reason?

25 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi hansonexperience - The black bar you're seeing is coming from the video itself and is a result of either how it was created/uploaded to YouTube. If you compare the two in your YouTube account itself I think you'll find that they are either different resolutions or where uploaded as different sizes or something of that nature.

Posted · Report post

Jake no jake I always upload the video with the same resolutions and so on. I editted them myself and there is no reason for showing these differences. They are both Full HD with the same specifications when uploaded. But could it be that settings of the older video are stored in the database?

I did not use DMS then bu iblogpro. 

If you look at the sourcepage of the blog you see that the blogpostings both have different scaling/height-width and there is no reason for that as I entered just the url..... 

So no differences in youtube that is for sure as I shot more then 400 video's in the same resolutien (max full hd on my videocamera and always the same also in final cut pro)

Posted · Report post

Hi hansonexperience - Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. It is bizarre that the iframe height is clearly larger in the one with the black and upon inspecting further I can see that's what the issue is. Going to try it on my end and see if I have the same result with the two videos.

Posted · Report post

Jake What I also did is I entered a code in functions.php to force the width to be 700 otherwise the frame is too small. DMS is not responsive with oembed. In one case the 700 width gets the 16:9 frame scale as the height is correct. In the other it is not and the frame is too high as it is not 16:9.... Weird.

Posted · Report post

Hi hansonexperience - I went to my test site and just started with a blank page where I entered in the following:

[pl_video type="youtube" id="dHJ_FPQjGsg"]

[pl_video type="youtube" id="5VPt4s5Sc_c"]

Both videos showed fine (without the top and bottom black bars) and I wasn't able to recreate your issue. So...I'm not sure what's going in. Have you tried copying the code for the black bar video on a different page to see if perhaps there is something going on with that particular page/post that it's on?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Jake Hi these codes you mentioned work fine. But I do not want to use the pl_video code as then I have to change more then 500 blogpostings :-(

I just entered the video url of youtube such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPt4s5Sc_c

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJ_FPQjGsg

With these url's in place I got different frames.

All my blogpostings have these urls because I published before I had DMS. And they are fine. But since I have DMS I get these weird behavior.

Even if I enter the lastest video url of youtube in a former blogposting (before I had DMS) it is fine. 

Is DMS storing this information in the database?

Ah I entered the urls and now they are videoframes ;-). As you can see they are both the same. Please click on the video to go to youtube for the links.

I just want the same behaviour as here in DMS.

Edited by hansonexperience

Posted · Report post

Hi hansonexperience"] - I went back and tried just entering the urls themselves as you suggested and I'm still not seeing the black bars - everything is looking good on my end just like you've got posted here. This is an odd one. It's also possible I'm missing something so I'm going to ask @[member="Rob to take a look at this topic and see if he can work his magic!

Posted · Report post

Jake thx for your time and effort. One last question: are the video responsive and the width of your column or are they as is from youtube (small frame not covering the whole column)? Because I wanted the frames responsive and as wide as my column.

And a last remark: when I enter the video's in a new blogposting right now they are the same (both with the black bars). The strange thing is the two different frames in two different postings. One now in DMS and one publshed before I had DMS.

Posted · Report post

Can you provide a screenshot of your posts and what they look like on your site please.

Posted · Report post

Danny please use the links in the first message to the postings. I have entered the code as adviced by you. But strangely enought it just works at the last few postings giving a bad frame (not 16:9)

Posted · Report post

Hhhmm now I think of a difference. The last video's i exported from Final Cut Pro X I uploaded to youtube after playing the video in quicktime using the share to youtube option.

Does that make sense?

Tomorrow I have to produce a new video and I will upload it as I normally did, directly in/with the youtube uploader. 

I kep you posted it this is the problem or better the solution.

Posted · Report post

Thank you for the update, I'm baffled by this one hansonexperience. Just to clarify so I can test exactly as you did, you used your same process of just pasting the url in the content of the post for this new video?

Posted · Report post

Hi Jake I just pasted in the url from youtube. I did the test in a new posting and in an old posting.

In both the ugly frames. 

Especially strange as in the old posting there is already a video included in the same way: just the youtube linke (oembed). So for one video it works for the other it does not.....

If I go to older postings throw out the youtube link, publish and then put in the link again, publish, the video is correctly framed.

My conclusion is that in the database with the older postings something is saved with settings of the video which are not there anymore with dms.

Posted · Report post

The black bars at the top and bottom of the Youtube videos come from Youtube, not DMS.

See http://www.reelseo.com/remove-youtube-logo/

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rob this link is from 2011 and youtube/wordpress have now oembed. So I can put just the url of a video in and wordpress does the rest. Put with wordpress 3.5 and DMS spme things changed apparently.

When I enter a url of youtube url I get the ugli frames. But the same url gave a good frame (16:9) earlier. I have not changed anything. Just wordpress 3.6 now and dms and at once frames are not ok anymore

Edited by hansonexperience

Posted · Report post

Are you adding the URL in a MediaBox, TextBox or some other container?

Again, since those black bars come from YouTube, we have no power to remove them, nor any control over their appearance.  We don't make them appear, and can't block them as the content is being fed into your site via YouTube.   You'll need to take up this issue with them, really.

I'm sure they will have some solution to provide.

Posted · Report post

Rob I am just adding the youtube url in wordpress postings as I always did.

The strange thing is that older postings do not have these bars..... How can this be explained?

Another things is that when you just enter {pl_video video="youtube" id="xxxxxx"] this is not correctly displayed in rss feeds. As you can see here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogs/DJOT

I know that with wordpress 3.5 there are probles with oembed, but I cannot explain why older postings do not have the bars as fresh postings have them

Posted · Report post

Hans,

I thoroughly understand the inclination to associate DMS with everything your site does.  However, one must limit ones perception and understand that DMS does not control the content of a post.  That is a WordPress function.  You can use shortcodes we've built to enable the integration and display of YouTube videos in a faster, more efficient way, but if you're just putting the regular URL for a video into a post, that's an issue between WordPress and YouTube.  As I said, we have no reason to, nor ability to alter the way YouTube presents their content.  They do that, and the black bars you see are fed by them.  We don't even have a means via CSS to control or modify it.

As for the RSS feed,  that too is an issue with Feedburner and how it reads the YouTube feed and presents it.  There, it's possible that our shortcode is being mis-read, but the formatting in Feedburner is something they'd have to support.  They should have some settings for it, and if they don't, then they should be able to provide a way to resolve it.  We can't support Feedburner as it's a 3rd party product.

Actually, the issue of how Feedburner displays YouTube is a well known, long-term issue.  People have been blogging about it for years. Surprisingly, our shortcode does even better in Feedburner than directly adding the YouTube url to a WP post.   This plugin might help you to manage its appearance:  http://wordpress.org/plugins/smart-youtube/

Posted · Report post

Rob First thank you for your answer. I haven been blogging for more then nine years now and never had problems with youtube urls in feedburner. I understand that feedburner must support you shortcode. I will ask a solution. But what I do not understand is why pagelines is not supporting the oembed way of putting youtube urls in their blogposting. As this is a more common/standard way. The implication of using pagelines shortcode is that if for what reason I want to change theme I do not need to change several hundreds of blogpostings. Your comment that pagelines short code in feedburner rss is doing better I do not understand as you can see it has very very small frame. This was not the case before using page line short codes. What actually is the logical of Pagelines not using the standard oembed way of putting url's in blog content http://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds and then being responsive?

Posted · Report post

Rob once again did a test and here are the page sources. I just entered the youtube url and wordpress enters the embed iframe code.

A posting of some weeks ago with correct frames:

"<iframe width="700" height="394" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5QmJCOnUqoU?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>"

A new posting with a youtube url gives the wrong frames:

"<iframe width="700" height="525" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Lp7uahuc3g?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>"

Why is it that different embed codes are entered in blogpostings?

The 700px comes from a code which I entered in functions.php as advices by Danny

if ( ! isset( $content_width ) ) $content_width = 700;

Posted · Report post

Hans,  PageLines supports adding YouTube videos using straight links, iframes, old embed code or any other methods possible.  We're not doing anything to limit how YouTube works in WordPress posts.

Posted · Report post

I know. Then explain me why these difference occur in the same blog, the same embedding, the same video provider?

I want to see the logical which is not there. Your idea is that youtube places different codes in different postings? Also not logical.

I think we miss something which is the reason for this weird problem.

Or does youtube really add different codes on the same blog in different postings with the same embedding? I do not think so. 

Posted · Report post

Okay, here's why! 

VIdeos in YouTube are created with specific sizes by their publishers.  So, if a video is a certain size, let's say 520 x 320 and you're forcing it to be 700px wide, then it will proportionally scale upwards in both width AND height.

Now, if you add another video that started at 520 x 460, and force it to be 700px wide, the height is going to be greater. 

When you're adding the videos to Feedburner, that is adding a specific height to the videos because Feedburner normally shows video embeds as thumbnails.  So, the problem is not in DMS, it's in Feedburner's settings for the height. 

Your code, provided by Danny is forcing only the width, so that Feedburner picks up that video fixed at 700px, and then ignores the proportional resizing, because it has a set height.  That is outside our control.

Posted · Report post

Rob all of my videos are 1080p HD and with oembed youtube publish iframe according to theme possibiliies.

And as you can read in forums and docs you cannot force the height as it is measured according to the width. But that is the point. In other themes and even in other postings on my blog the height is ok and does not have problems at all. Not in oembed and not in feedburner and other rss.

DMS is in your control. Why is it that one posting has the right player-frame and why has another (new) posting has bad frames......

But lets stop. This is not going anywhere. You think other providers have problems and DMS has no bugs or things to improve.

Discussion closed.