Conditional filtering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sethdrebitko

sethdrebitko

• Members

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hello I downloaded the filtering plugin and I have a few question about its use. 

Advanced Filtering

I'm creating an aggregator site with two main sections. The homepage will include hand picked content from the main feed dump. The second page will be a raw feed from all the normal sources I pull from. Content will be broken down into into format types:

• Blogs
  • Vlogs
  • Podcasts

I want to be able to make it so that I can specify in separate filter sections to only let say blogs through. But the trick is I need it to filter also by Front Page and Raw Feed. So the front page blog section would display only blog posts and only if they are also in the front page category as well.

#2 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

@sethdrebitko If I am understanding correctly you should be able to do this with Filtering using the options to Exclude/Include categories and terms. So, on the Front page in Filtering Options put in Front Page for the category to include and change the select to Include like below.

DMS_Demo___Just_another_WordPress_site.p

That solves the front page. On to the Raw Feed...Are Podcasts and Vlogs a separate post type or categories? If they are categories then that page will be easy to setup. Just have it get all the categories, don't use the exclude/include options. If they are separate post types that is something Filtering doesn't do -- multiple post query -- that is a custom job.

Let me know how you have Blogs, Vlogs, and Podcasts setup.

Ellen

#3 sethdrebitko

sethdrebitko

• Members

• 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I poorly explained my situation. Basically,the Front Page and Pulse categories were just designed as a way to filter information. Each of the two pages would contain post from the Vlog, Blog, and Podcast category each in separate filter sections; so I couldn't just say Front Page. Essentially I would need it to post only blog posts to one of the sections, and only if the front page category was also assigned.

I think I thought of a fairly clunky (but workable) work around. Based on fiddling around I think I am going to have to actually create two sub categories for every single category and sub category as follows:

Blog Posts

-Front Page Blog Posts <-- Added to Front Page to get just the front page blog posts to show in that section.

-Pulse Blog Posts <-- Added to The Pulse to get just the The Pulse blog posts to show in that section.

-Game Advice <--This is an actual sub category for Blog Posts.

--Front Page Game Advice <-- This is a subcategory of the Blog Post categories sub category so I can get the right posts to show up on the correct page.

--The Pulse Game Advice <-- This is a subcategory of the Blog Post categories sub category so I can get the right posts to show up on the correct page.

As you can see that work around is fairly inefficient and will quickly become a nightmare.

What I want is to be able to have the following:

Blog Posts

-Game Advice

Front Page

The Pulse

Then all I would need to do is put the actual content category and then the "status" category instead of maintaining a million categories.

Since I haven't started importing data in yet I am good to go with changing things around, but once I switch on the feeds it will be a nightmare to make changes to things.

#4 ellenmva

ellenmva

Advocate

• Members

• 332 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

@sethdrebitko Filtering at this point is not set up to have 2 filtering sections on a page. With that said I am reworking Filtering -- tightening up code and queries, and I am looking at providing that function.

As for the category setup I see your point. Filtering won't handle that setup because the query would be that it is in both the Blog and the Front Page category to show on front page. That would be a custom query.

Let me look at what it would take to adjust the query and get back to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filtering