3 replies to this topic

#1 jonesbre10

jonesbre10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hi,

What I am trying to do is probably simple but I am new to Wordpress and have not been able to figure it out.

Basically I have different themes for posts and I am trying to have them sent automatically to different pages. For example when I write a post for a review I want to tag this as a "Review" in categories and then have it appear on a "Reviews" page that I have created as well as the main feed on the main page.

Any help would be appreciated and I can provide more information if this was unclear.

Thanks

#2 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi @jonesbre10 - I believe I understand what you're trying to accomplish and think the best course of action would be for you to use a plugin called Special Recent Posts http://wordpress.org...l-recent-posts/. This will allow you to use a shortcode to display posts just from specific categories on each of your individual pages.

#3 jonesbre10

jonesbre10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi and thanks for the response. I've tried widgets like these before and this seems to be one of the better ones.

One issue I have been having with them is they don't allow for page breaks. This way when the posts start to add up it could lead to having too much content on one page where I would prefer a way to "click next page to older posts" like there is on the main page. If you know of anything or anyway to faciliate this that would be greatly appreciated.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi,

In theory, you don't need pagination of the special pages with SRP on it, as you can provide a simple link at the bottom of the page to the category view. You can even create that link in your template to go to page 2 of the category view.

So, when you create a post, make sure you apply it to all categories where you want it viewed.  It will appear in the category view (go to Dashboard > Posts > Categories, select one, and view it).  Now, you can see those pages have pagination.

You then create a custom page, applying the SRP shortcode the page can be designed as you desire.  At the very bottom, you can create the link to Page 2 of the category view in a text box. Make an SRP page for every category.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: posts, archiving, pages