DMS issue: can't edit on multiple computers

Question

Posted · Report post

I noticed that DMS can't be edited from mutiple machines.

Let's say I'm editing a site on computer A, and publish the edits.

Then, on computer B, I make further substantial edits and publish them.

When I'm going back to machine A, the changes made on B are not shown in the editor of A.

The site is "stuck" in the status where I left off earlier on A.

Yes, I reloaded the page. Even deleted the cache.

The site on A is now shown in an unpublished state; probably because the site has changed compared to the editor's status.

I hesitate publishing on A because it will probaly publish the old status shown on A, wiping out all the changes made on B.

When I deactivate the DMS editor, computer A actually shows all site changes I made on B. When I reactivate the DMS editor , it reverts to the outdated status, prior to the changes made on B.

In summary, with DMS, I can't go back to my computer, if I made changes on a different machine in between.

Serious flaw.

Need help.

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I am confused as to what your issue is. If you're working on your site from your Downstairs computer (A), make some changes to the layout of your homepage, click publish, so that the changes have been saved.

Then you move upstairs to your upstairs computer (B) and then, notice that you have your site in your browser. The first thing you should do, is refresh your browser, as you have made changes to it downstairs (Computer A), if you don't and then begin to make changes using your upstairs computer then of course you're going to have issues.

DMS can not push it changes automatically to your other household computers, you will need to update the browser by refreshing it. This is pretty much standard for most software and therefore, isn't a serious flaw.

The same thing would apply to Wordpress, if you was on computer A and noticed a spelling mistake and corrected it, saved the changes. These changes will not be automatically pushed your upstairs computer (B), you will need to reload your browser.

So I am not quite sure what your issue is.

If you do not mean what I wrote above, can you go into greater detail please.

Posted · Report post

Not sure how I can be more specific.

As I wrote, I'm doing the refresh.

The issue is that the downstairs computer A "remembers" somehow where I left of making changes on this computer when I return to it, after making edits on the upstairs computer B.

The edits made on B are then ignored in the DMS editor on A.

Posted · Report post

I don't have two computers where I am, at the moment. However, I have just used two Browsers, Chrome and Canary, logged in on both using the same account and made changes on Chrome.

I then refreshed my site on Canary and the changes were there. I then made changes to a template on Canary and published them. I then returned to Chrome, refreshed my site and the changes made on Canary were on Chrome.

I also had a colleague, who had two computers available test this and he came to the same conclusion as me, if he made changes on one computer, then went to the other and refreshed the site, the changes were there. If you do not refresh and then make changes, then these changes to overwrite the changes you made on the other computer.

Therefore, you need to refresh. If you're refreshing, then I am not sure what the issue is, as the changes should be there. Your sites design is restricted to one machine.

Posted · Report post

Confirmed, we're seeing this happening as well between our laptops and our computers at the office. We publish on office computers but laptops, even with refresh, seem to not understand that the changes have been made. This has literally happened to our team about 20 times this week.

We have seen that logging out does seem to fix the issue. But we've also seen that just having multiple authors editing pages, and publishing, also creates the same bug.  Other authors will see the published changes, go to a different page entirely and publish, and then it overwrites the other published pages they viewed. If the user never views the other users published page, there is no overwrite.

Posted · Report post

OK, so I have just created two accounts Dan and Danny on a test site. Dan is using Canary, Danny Chrome. I make some changes with Danny on the Sample Page using the Default template, I publish these changes and when I switch to Dan, the changes are present straight away.

Therefore, I am unable to recreate the problem (although my recreation isn't exactly the same). If logging out resolves the issue, then it may well be related to your network ?

Either way, the issue is rather odd.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, we figured its pretty odd. :(

Its not that simple though. We can't seem to nail down when exactly it happens. We do know its happening when we're changing the layout for a post type though. When it happens, it happens there.

We'll try to keep an eye on it and document when we see it occurring.

Posted · Report post

OK, thanks, the more information the better. Its difficult, as I am unable to recreate it. Although, this isn't really an accurate recreation.

Posted · Report post

We were able to reproduce this exactly now. Here is what is happening.

1. Login to Computer #1.
  2. Go to page or post type that will be designed. Change nothing but let it do the auto save (clicking on white space in current sections will do it.
  3. Logout
  4. Login to Computer #2
  5. Create design.
  6. Publish
  7. Logout
  8. Login to Computer #1 again.
  9. Go to ANY other page or post type, click publish, and voila, you've just overwritten whatever you did on the other computer. If I'm correct, this should not be happening since we a) log out and log back in - would think that the designs we were doing as a user would be "reset", and b) we never go back to that page that got designed, yet it writes over it.

We've literally lost hours now because of this bug. Its definitely one that we're going to keep watching but the scarier part to it for us is that we can't recommend it to heavily to clients because every client we know works in multiple environments (home computer, laptop computer, work computer).

Maybe the best work around for this would be to make sure the page designs are always "cleared / reset" whenever a user logs in?

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

I am not sure how this is considered a bug?

If you haven't reloaded or refreshed the page on Computer #1, then that page will still be set to your previous layout/design and therefore, when you make changes it will overwrite your published changes you made on Computer #2. Wordpress pages/posts do not refresh or reload by themselves.

If you make changes to a page/template layout on computer 1 and then do nothing on computer 2, that page/template on computer 2 will look exactly the same as it did on Computer before you made the changes, until you refresh your that page on computer 2, then the changes will be visible.

Posted · Report post

I am not sure how this is considered a bug?

If you haven't reloaded or refreshed the page on Computer #1, then that page will still be set to your previous layout/design and therefore, when you make changes it will overwrite your published changes you made on Computer #2. Wordpress pages/posts do not refresh or reload by themselves.

If you make changes to a page/template layout on computer 1 and then do nothing on computer 2, that page/template on computer 2 will look exactly the same as it did on Computer before you made the changes, until you refresh your that page on computer 2, then the changes will be visible.

No, we're saying we never go back to that page on Computer #1. We're logging out, logging in, and publish anything else and it will overwrite. Surely you can't expect for a user to go back to all of the pages they may have worked on another computer at and load them before publishing ANYTHING.  I think you're missing the main factor - we log out. If we log out, the developers should be making DMS reset itself, clearing anything we might have not published, or at least giving us admins that capability so we don't run into these issues on a multi-computer environment.

Understand now?

Posted · Report post

Danny, how do we send you a private message or email? The messaging system on the forum says you can't accept messages.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, I have the private messaging system disabled, as I was receiving an insane amount of PM's each day. If you like, you can contact me via email using:

danny at pagelines dot com

When subjecting the email use your username and also always link to the forum topic in question, again I receive a large volume of emails so its difficult to keep track.

Now back on topic, if you're indeed logging out, then logging back in again, then there really shouldn't be an issue and you're correct, you shouldn't (don't) need to refresh every page.

When you logout/login again, all your Wordpress pages/templates should already be refreshed and updated to the latest changes regardless of what device has updated them. When I read your post above again, in my opinion it sounds like either:

* A network issue

* You aren't publishing your changes

* You're editing the same template (via Global tab), which will effect all pages and thus overwrite any page that uses that template.

I don't have access to multiple systems where I am at the moment, so if you can provide a video of this somehow or attempt this with two computers not sharing the same network that would be awesome.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny! We were able to actually figure out that its specifically happening on Custom Post Types, but only if we don't make them page templates before logging into the second machine. If we make them page templates it doesn't seem to happen. We are publishing though, made sure of that.  If we can grab a video of it we'll be sure to supply it but right now we're all hands on making a few site launches.

Thanks again!

Posted · Report post

I have 3 machines at home. two at my desk and one in another room. I have tried this and have no issues. I regularly work from more than one machine a day.

It's just the same as when i log onto a site a user has provided the credentials of to test issues etc and i make changes. The changes propagate to the site even though we are located in different parts of the world. 

Posted · Report post

Martin Davies we have multiple machines too, the issue is when you're designing the page templates and do not save but do publish. Its definitely happening for us and our client. I've mentioned above the best we can explain how it must be happening.

It sounds like Pagelines is suppose to essentially "reset" anything you didn't publish when you logout, but we're seeing this to be untrue.  As more agencies come on board to use Pagelines we'll hopefully get to the bottom of what the issue is thats causing this.

Posted · Report post

IF you make changes to a site it is likely stored in your browser cache if you do not save the changes. Next time you log in ther changes may still be there. Have you tried clearing the browser cache?