8 replies to this topic

#1 evscicats

evscicats

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.0.6

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm just putting this out there as a nice shortcode to add to the DMS metabar shortcodes list, [show_authors] allows you to list multiple author names in the Metabar Mode (default) in the blog roll and post meta areas.  I remembered I used it in Framework and sure enough it still works in DMS.  

The shortcode does not work with Author Avatar Mode.  Only the first author gets their face displayed.  Is there any chance Author Avatar Mode could allow for two?  Just curious.

Thanks, 

Jerrad

• sheilahoff likes this

#2 James B

James B

Advocate

• Members

• 5126 posts
  • LocationSurrey - UK

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hi there,

Nice idea, I'll this in to the ideas and feedback forum for the developers to review.

#3 evscicats

evscicats

Advanced Member

• Members

• 77 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.0.6

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Thanks James. 

I forgot to mention that in order to have multiple authors on posts, you need a plugin to make it work.  I use the Co-Authors Plus plugin that is free on Wordpress.org.  http://wordpress.org...o-authors-plus/  I think there have been other posts on the Pagelines forums where other users are using this plugin too.  

#4 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

I added this myself over a year ago. Uses Co Authors. Should work in author avatar mode as it's just a shortcode, but I think I remember seeing a bug that Author Avatar Meta is completely hosed right now.

https://github.com/p...tcodes.php#L725

[show_authors]

#5 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi @evscicats - That's a great idea and just so you're aware, the Author Avatar Mode is not completely hosed, there is, however, a bug that has been brought to the attention of the developers so keep an eye on that as well. https://github.com/p.../DMS/issues/409. Thanks again for your suggestion.

#6 beardedavenger

beardedavenger

Unicorn Wrangler

• Members

• 1219 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

"That's a great idea and just so you're aware, the Author Avatar Mode is not completely hosed"

The meta doesn't work completely. In nickonese that terms is called "hosed". If it was one part of it that didn't work, that'd be different.

Besides this is irrelevant. It doesn't work right now.  There's a logged GH issue. And we move on.

#7 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 382 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

THANK YOU! That shortcode did the trick for me in the meta bar BUT I still need help getting the second author displayed at the bottom. I did try the author avatar mode which only displays one author in the sidebar. Nice looking. I never knew what that option did. BUT...what I really need to make that happen is to have both authors' avatar and bio display at the bottom of the post where I've added a Post Author section. In fact I'd be happy to get both authors' avatars displayed in EITHER mode. Though my preference is to get them both at the bottom so they can have their bios with their avatars.

It appears the instructions here might tell a coder how to do that but I'm more a designer. If someone can tell me which file to put what code in I'm comfortable doing that in my child theme. Has anyone figured this out yet? I sure hope so. Client REALLY needs it.

Thanks.

Sheila

dev site using wp3.8 and newest DMS at: http://www.tca.hoffmangraphics.com

#8 Erwan

Erwan

• Members

• 193 posts
  • Framework Version:Framework 2.4.4 - DMS 1.1.6 & 1.2

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi @sheilahoff,

Just in case, did you try this free DMS plugin/section "Authors" by @beardedavenger ?

You just have to add the authors' IDs (from 1 to 10 co-authors) and the section retrieves and displays their avatar & meta (from your users' WP admin/backend: core users' WP meta & additional section meta).

#9 sheilahoff

sheilahoff

Advocate

• Members

• 382 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thanks @Erwin. I didn't know about that plugin. I've downloaded and will try it out. It looks like it's meant for creating a page of authors. I need them at the bottom of each post. And since this is for a client it would certainly be preferable to have this automated and not need to manually add author IDs which will be a bit much. It actually might or might not even work to have unique author settings by post. It seems quite cumbersome. But very close. If this is already possible, it seems a coder would be able to tweak this to do the normal and most desirable automated adding of authors by post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metabar, multiple authors, coauthor, shortcode, DMS