Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Missing Menu

Question

Posted · Report post

I use the theme pagelines with the newest version of wordpress. Suddenlig when i updated my wordpress, the menu dossent work.

In the controlpanel - appearence and menu i cant save a menu! And the menu do not show:

http://www.tvvestsjaelland.dk

I tryed all konfigurations and cant find anything wrong it must be the update. I even tryed reinstall wordpress and i allso updated my theme pagelines framework.

When i go back to an unedited theme i see the menu when i view the site bud still can choose or see the menu in the controlpanel: apperence - menu

Hope that some one can help me!

//Mathilda

22 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

Can you please disable all plugins and see if this resolves your issue.

Posted · Report post

Thank you for answaring. I tried that now, and it does not resolve my issue. Are there anything else i could try?

Posted · Report post

Please disable all active plugins and then enable PL Debug mode.

PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

Also, you have posted in the wrong forums, you're using PageLines Framework not DMS. In future can you post the correct forums please.

Posted · Report post

OMG i am so sorry i´m new at this :o)

I just did what you asked from me above..

Posted · Report post

lol its no problem, its just confusing that all.

Anyway, your debug info shows that you're using PHP version 5.2, this is rather old and I would recommend updating to a newer version. You will need to contact your host to do this for you. You also have PHP Magic Quotes gpc : Yes (bad) in your debug info, this too isn't good and would need addressing, same as your PHP version, only your host provider can address this.

You also need to install the PageLines Sections plugin.

Before we can diagnose your issue properly, can you contact your web host provider and ask them to upgrade you to PHP 5.4 or later and also enable the PageLines sections plugin.

If the issue still persists, please reply here and we can take a closer look.

Posted · Report post

I just wrote to my host! But i cant find the pagelines sections plugin, when i whrite "PageLines Sections" ind the plugin area?? do you have a link from where i can get it?

Posted · Report post

You can download it from here - http://ge.tt/4eAUDat/v/0?c

Install like any other Wordpress plugin.

Posted · Report post

I just chanced the things above with help from my host..

Posted · Report post

OK, can you email me your username and password please, so I can take a closer look.

danny at pagelines dot com

Also, do you give me permission to change your settings, disable plugins etc.. ?

Posted · Report post

[REMOVED DETAILS]

Posted · Report post

OK, I think you need to contact your web host provider, as your Menu contains no menu items. When I added them and clicked Save, they were removed again. I have done a quick search on the Wordpress forums and apparently its related to a MySQL permissions.

Inform your host support that Wordpress menus settings are being saved, give them your login details and ask them to create a menu, add some pages to the menu and then click save, then will see them disappear when the page reloads.

Posted · Report post

this is very strange.. my host provider tells me that the problem is with wordpress or pagelines and wordpress will not support as long as i use pagelines and you tell me that the problem is with my provider! Please help me now my widgets are gone as well and my customer who i made this website for is very angry.

Posted · Report post

OK, your issue is with either Wordpress or your host. If your host is saying its Wordpress, then you will need to check with them.

We can make sure the issue isn't with PageLines Framework, simply go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Themes and then activate either Twenty Twelve or Thirteen and see if the menu issue persists. If it does, then its an issue with Wordpress.

I can't see how this can be theme specific when PageLines doesn't touch the Wordpress Menu system.

Let is know if switching theme solves the issue or not.

Posted · Report post

I know but wordpress.org wont help me even if i have had pagelines (i returned to the unedited theme). They could se in my profile that i was using pagelines.. what to do?

Posted · Report post

Hi mathildam - When you switched to another theme (like Twenty Twelve) as Danny described above, does the menu issue persist? If so, leave that theme active when you contact WordPress as they will be able to help you troubleshoot at that point. Once solved, try moving over to PageLines again and see what happens.

Posted · Report post

Thanks! :o)

Posted · Report post

Let us know how it goes!

Posted · Report post

They still will not help me because they can se that i used pageline with the website even when i deleted pagelines and whent back to the default theme..??? they just dont answer me.. what could i do...??

Posted · Report post

Mathilde,

I'm sorry for your hosting company problems.  I'm surprised they're behaving so unprofessionally, as PageLines products have been used on hundreds of thousands of websites since 2009.   That behavior is unacceptable, and I'd ask for a manager.  A hosting company should not be allowed to dictate which themes or plugins you use.

I'd suggest changing hosting companies. 

Meanwhile, could you go to Dashboard > Appearance > Menus for me, and if you've created a saved menu with menu items, scroll to the very bottom of the screen.  In the image attached, you'll see a check box at the bottom of the menu (red arrow pointing to Menu Settings under Primary Website Navigation) make sure the primary menu you saved is checked there.

Also, you'll see Manage Locations up at the top.  Make sure you select your primary menu there as the primary selected. See the attached files below:

[attachment=1632:10-8-2013 6-26-53 PM.jpg]

[attachment=1633:10-8-2013 6-31-43 PM.jpg]

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hi and thank you very much for your answar i just tried the steps you wrote above but the menu stil disapears when i press save. And now the menu allso is gone at frontend look here: http://tvvestsjaelland.dk/

My provider tells me that the error is with wordpress! And wordpress tells me the error is with the provider. Before i deleted pagelines wordpress told me the error was with pagelines. :o)))

I really just want to get on working with my pagelines site.. i love pagelines...

Posted · Report post

If the issue is happening when you're using a default Wordpress theme, then its related to your Wordpress installation. Therefore, you will need to contact Wordpress support, as this isn't related to PageLines.

Posted · Report post

Mathilda,

I have to agree with Danny.  You're now using a default WP theme, and your menu still is missing.   If PageLines were the problem, then the menu would appear in any other theme or platform.  Since it doesn't, then the issue is with WordPress.

If a plugin isn't the cause, the only other thing I can find is that some custom post hooks have been reported to cause this issue.  I doubt you've added any such customization of WP though.  So, we're at a complete loss.  The only possible way to handle this might be to just rebuild it, on another server.