#1 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Framework Version:DMS

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

I might be missing something but I have tried all sorts of combinations of photo sizes and still can't get the fit right.  Using this code I was able to get the parallax effect to not have an overlap at the top but I have resizing issues on mobile devices, and in some cases the photo doesn't show up at all

What are the recommended parameters, is there  a smart fit button or something.  I probably missing something easy but I've tried every combination of not using this code, etc and still cant get it right.  The photos larger than the section, when I click repeat photo the photo becomes so large that it is unrecognizable (opposite of what I thought might happen).  Anyway, suggestions, experiences?  

/* correct-paralax */

.correct-background-parallax .pl-area-wrap {

background-attachment: fixed;

}

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

A number of users have reported an issue with the Parallax effect having a small repeat at the top of the image, but I am unable to recreate it. Basically, you want an image that has a much large height than the section you're adding it to, for example.

Lets say you have a section area that contains a Masthead, and the height of that area is 600px, then you can't use an image that has a height of 700px, as the dimension different isn't large enough when scrolling. So if your area is 600px you will probably want to use an image that has a min-height of 900px.

Also, when you're logged in as admin, the Wordpress Adminbar appears to push your image down and have it repeat at the top for about 25px, if you logout, you do not see this issue.

#3 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

understand about the file dimensions and trust me, have had probably 25 different photos in as trials.  I also thought it might be file size as some of the photos were to large to load up through DMS so I uploaded through WP dashboard.  Either way didn't seem to matter.  

I initially did have the top border problem but fixed it with the code I mentioned.  However, regardless of rather I use the code or not the photos aren't resizing well for phones.  If you look at msdbuild.com on a browser and resize it the photo still is recognizable.  If you look at it on a phone it's starting the photo at the top corner and not shrinking it to be more viewable as it does when you just shrink the width of the browser.  

Also, the parallax is causing a bit of a scrolling glitch in Safari and Chrome.  

I think this is something Pagelines needs to investigate as a bug especially since several have reported the issue.  Are there other places for the background settings other than in the section editor? 

#4 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

@Danny

take a look at msdbuild.com and what is happening to the photo resize on mobile versus desktop.  Is this the expected behavior?

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

That isn't how the image should be displaying. I have just this moment added your image to a test site and then viewed it on my iPhone. Your image appears huge and is pixelated, where as on my test site the image size has been reduced to fit the the area, making a sharp image.

http://d.pr/i/vVF8

Therefore, you must have either some custom code, script or a plugin causing your image to act the way it is. Try disabling all plugins and remove any custom code/scripts you may have added and see if this resolves your issue.

One thing I would also point out is that your image is quite small for the area that is being used in. You usually want to have an image that has a greater height that the area it is being added to.

#6 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

@Danny

It was apparently this bit of code causing the sizing issue ...

/* correct-paralax */

.correct-background-parallax .pl-area-wrap {

background-attachment: fixed;

}

I have now removed that code.  However, the photo is now getting the space at the top.  I have inserted a photo that is 4400X2656, turned off every plugin except WP Super Cache and DMS Pro and deleted all custom code.  The space happens as soon as I turn on parallax scrolling.  I tried a larger photo and it wouldn't load on a mobile device.  Site is MSD build.

How do we resolve this issue?

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

You shouldn't see that space when you're logged out, its caused by the WP Adminbar. I have reported this on our tracker.

#8 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

@Danny

I was actually looking at the site in a different browser so I wouldn't think not being logged out would have that effect in a different browser where I wasn't logged in.  Anyway, I'm logged out now.  Still seeing the space on Safari, iphone, Chrome, ipad mini, Firefox, ipad, and Android phone.  Take a look  msdbuild.com

#9 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

@Danny

What else can I try to correct this?  

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Not sure, as it does indeed look as though it is a big when you use a certain size image. I have reported this to our tracker.

#11 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

@Danny

Any word on this issue?  It's annoying that two of the basic features of DMS don't work well consistently.  The parallax scrolling and the Rev Slider.  

For parallax, I'm going to minimize the size of the image I'm using and see if it helps.  I have a taller section...are there recommended proportions or size for the photo in a section background?  

Rev Slider the text of the first slider always ends up cutoff on the left initially, but corrects as it scrolls latter. 

When does PageLines think these issues will be resolved?

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

The Parallax issue has been reported, there isn't nothing to update yet, you can follow the progress on GitHub via the issue tracker. In regards to the RevSlider, I haven't encountered that issue before, can you provide a screencast of the issue using Jing please.

#13 leemac

leemac

• Members

• 21 posts
  • Framework Version:always running the latest version.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

any news on this front yet?

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, it's been fixed in 1.2, there isn't any ETA at the moment for the release of 1.2. However, rest assured this annoying little issue has been resolved.

#15 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

@Danny

Is there a current and reliable workaround for the parallax issue of a sections background photo?  It seems like in the 8 months since the DMS release that this should have been addressed.  Again many other themes from Themeforest that are a $40-$60 one time per site fee have this feature working on release with seemingly no problems.  DMS has it's benefits over those themes in the fact that you can run multiple sites off the Developer licenses (although you can do the same thing with one license of Genesis) but that's about it at this point...the store would be great if there was a growing variety of reliable sections and plugins, with a number of cool free choices (different ways to display posts or portfolios).  It seems like DMS limits the basic WP options for those choices now.

DMS is good for developers/designers that want to use a tool box of plugins and sections to build original and reliable sites.  However, there still seem to be so many glitchy aspects to DMS, I actually cancelled my membership to DMS briefly as I haven't felt comfortable that the product wasn't dead in the water.  I reactivated in hopes that some of the glitches have been addressed and are going to be resolved with v1.2.  Hopefully, we can all sing the praises of DMS after v1.2.   

This parallax situation is one of those situations where the users are clearly neglected by the developer....this is a feature that is built into DMS but just doesn't work.  When users buy a Framework like DMS they expect it to be RELIABLE, the developers to be ATTENTIVE to bugs and for those bugs to be resolved in a timely fashion.  Users that pay for this type of Framework are typically using it for client work.

Again is there a current and reliable workaround?

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

The issue has been fixed, in DMS 1.2, the problem was that some users experienced the problem where as some haven't. However, the issue is most certainly fixed, as I have checked this myself.

How does DMS limit you in the way you display your posts, the Post Loop option is filled with multiple ways of displaying your posts, from standard list view to magazine view and the ability to control how you meta bar ?

#17 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

@Danny 

The key word is reliable, try shifting from magazine view to back... it doesn't always work.  Here is one example of DMS reliability...I spent 30 minutes this afternoon trying to move one text box into a column.....once there the content of the text boxed vanished.   Things like this are clearly issues that users are having around the forums, things that shouldn't be happening in a "Premium" framework.

I'd love some insight on why the developer would push a known bug issue like parallax 8 months out?  

#18 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

The issue with the Parallax was that not everyone was experiencing it, I myself only ran into the issue when I was expanding the height of the Fixed Nav, which is . It wasn't until one of store developers created a ticket, with the exact steps to recreate the issue, could we fix the bug. 

In regards to your other issue, I have switched the Magazine layout to List layout multiple times just the other day on a users website, who had an issue with their blog. I never once experienced what you describe above.

#19 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

@Danny

I'm well aware of the issue with parallax and sorry man but the real issue was that the support team and the developer didn't want to listen it's customers telling them there was a problem.  I personally reported and gave what information I could, as did more than a few others around the forum.  Regardless, that issue was submitted to the developer supposedly months ago, at least according to what was posted here in the forums.

Hopefully, v1.2 will, in fact, clear up issues like parallax and text boxes randomly disappearing.  

I want to add that although you and the other support members are very helpful, if users report a problem help them fix it don't just say I've never experienced the problem.  Most users aren't going to report an issue if there isn't one happening.  I see that too often in the DMS forum.  I understand that you need to be able to somehow replicate or understand the issue.  For 30/month I think DMS could provide chat support, with so many glitches still in DMS it would seem like a good service for the customers.

Wordpress Engine is less than $30/month and they have chat and ticket support.

The entire Adobe Suite (Hell of a lot more programming and tools than DMS) is less than $50/month and they have chat support.

Pass this along to Mr Powers and tell him to start listening to and responding to his customers or he won't have any left. 

• webmktco likes this

#20 jmad

jmad

Advocate

• Members

• 830 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

@Danny

I'm trying to get more involved in DMS v1.2 and was over at github...is this the same issue you and I are discussing here?  If so it still seems unresolved.

https://github.com/p.../DMS/issues/664