Possible to export as wordpress theme?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hey!

If I create a website theme with Pagelines, is it possible for me to export this website as a normal wordpress theme (parent theme) so it says designed by me etc.

Reason why I asked is because I have this online tool which can check what current theme there is on targeted URL, if I do the check on a website created by pagelines it obviously show pageline theme.

Not sure if this goes in the right forum category, if not please move!

Thank you for help.

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

PageLines DMS is a Design Management System. Therefore, you can create your own child themes based on DMS. However, you can not use DMS to create your own theme, saying designed by John Doe and then rename the DMS folder, as this will pretty much break DMS.

This goes for all Wordpress Frameworks to my knowledge, meaning you can't rename the parent folder and claim it as your own theme. As it will break the Framework/DMS.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I see, so I can't really use Pagelines to create wordpress themes to sell. But I can create themes and sell them within pagelines to other DMS users right? Thought Pagelines was something like a more advanced Artisteer if you've heard of it.

Posted · Report post

Actually what I said in my previous post wasn't entirely accurate. If you use the Open Source version of DMS, which you can download from both PageLines.com and GitHub, you're free to do whatever you like as its open source. However, this will require a lot of work and proceeding in this fashion will void you of all support.

So you're free to use DMS and create your own theme(s), but you will not receive any support, as this will then be classed as your product and not ours.

You can use DMS and create your own child theme(s) which you can add to the PageLines store to sell to other PageLines users.