Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DMS WordPress Migration

Question

Posted · Report post

I was wondering how many people have moved after installing DMS? I prepared a site to migrate and placed everything on the new server. I have changed the wordpress data base prefixes for security and imported the sql.

I changed the site temporarily to the IP address so it won't redirect to the old site while i configure the new one. This way when the Nameservers direct to the new location there is less configuration.

IS THERE A PLACE IN THE THEME THAT I NEED TO CHANGE ANY CODE SO THAT I CAN STILL CONFIGURE?
Evidently, everything else is running fine except for the DMS interface.

Did I miss something or is this a glitch?

Any feedback would be helpful.

It may all just work fine once the nameservers switch but i wanted to make progress like i have done with other themes.
Thank you! <3 

5 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Yes when you relocate wordpress there is a place in the settings and a place in the database that one must change to have a functioning Wordpress site.

Given that DMS gives you a "front end" to work with, I figure that there MAY BE another location that must be changed in either the wordpress settings or the phpmyadmin settings to make the front end dashboard of DMS come up.

But this solved when the address resolved. I was simply trying to work on the site by using the IP address that one might use when editing locally.

Sorry for the confusion.

LOL, Permalinks. Thanks but that truly is NUBIE territory. That is definitely never my issue. Whenever anything goes wrong I always change permalink structure a couple of times and start deactivating plug ins.

Thanks guys. I don't know how you do it with all these people. <3

Posted · Report post

Hi,

I apologise, but I am not sure what you're trying to do. The simplest way to migrate is to create your new design away from your live site such as Locally. When your site design in DMS has been completed, you can export these settings and import them into your live site.

We have migration documentation here - http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/upgrading-migration

Posted · Report post

No worries Danny.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying based on the advice you gave me. So I must look at it as i was not communicating clearly enough. I got everything moved. Thank you for your effort. As all of us constantly asking questions must be challenging. So I give gratitude.
Be well.

Posted · Report post

Hi Khepri,

The question that is confusing is:

IS THERE A PLACE IN THE THEME THAT I NEED TO CHANGE ANY CODE SO THAT I CAN STILL CONFIGURE?

We're confused by the phrase "any code" and "can still configure".  To be specific, what kind of code did you mean or think about, and configure what to do what?  Our apologies, but the question is so vague that it's hard to understand.

While DMS stores settings to the database, it's important to follow the migration docs Danny provided.  This ensures that the settings are applied correctly inside your migrated version.

It's also important, when migrating, to go to Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and without changing anything, just save the settings.  This updates permalinks so that any dynamic links are corrected.  Sometimes, without this process, links can become broken (often showing 404 errors).

Posted · Report post

No worries Danny.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying based on the advice you gave me. So I must look at it as i was not communicating clearly enough. I got everything moved. Thank you for your effort. As all of us constantly asking questions must be challenging. So I give gratitude.
Be well.

I most definitely misunderstood what you were saying. If you're moving from one server to another, you should follow the correct procedure provided by Wordpress - http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

If you follow these instructions, then there really shouldn't be any issue. However, as I mentioned above, exporting/importing your WP content, theme settings to a fresh install of Wordpress on another server is the a simple task, no that doesn't require changing IP or nameservers.