Photo
- - - - -

columns

Best Answer Danny , 30 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

OK, well the clone option only speeds up and simplifies the procedure, you can still do what I mentioned above. But will need to do this manually, as you have no clone option, so add a Column section, reduce its size, then add another, and another. Just rinse, repeat the process until you have the columns/layout you desire, then add your sections to these columns.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Please, is there a way to create more than 3 columns per section? i really need a 4 column section, and another 6 column section wouldn't be too bad also, is this possible to do in the free version of DMS?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes.  However, instead of adding a pre-built section, you'll add a TextArea and build the columns you want using Responsive Grid.  See http://docs.pageline...responsive-grid

#3 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

ok thanks, but there is no explanation on how to use the html posted, its like BASIC: and than theres the html code, i mean, what am i supposed to do with that code, sorry but i just cant figure it out..., i tried naming the textbox  "mygrid" in styling classes and adding the html in after .mygrid in custom code,all i get is a less error,  like this:

.mygrid 

1. <div class="row">
  2. <div class="span4">4</div>
  3. <div class="span8">8</div>
  4. </div>

#4 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

ok that was stupid to even try i admit it...

#5 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

sorry for the newbie questions, that being said, please just tell me how do i slice that textbox to a few columns, the tutorial doesen't cover this for my level of newbie-ness.

#6 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

another very frustrating thing keeps happening, when i add a 3 column to a section, and add a name to one column, all of the columns from the section get the same styling class name i gave to just one... even when i try naming the first one something, and then switch to second one naming it something, the first one is renamed to the same thing as the second one is, columns in other sections dont change their name... im making two sites simultaneously  and one site does that while the other one does not

Edited by capgras, 29 September 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm unclear how you're doing this, or quite what you're doing, and I'm sorry you're getting it wrong. Let me give you some 4 column code:

<div class="row">
    <div class="span3">Your Col 1</div>
    <div class="span3">Your Col 2</div>
    <div class="span3">Your Col 3</div>
    <div class="span3">Your Col 4</div>
</div>

The key value to remember is 12.  If you want 4 columns, then do the math and you'll remember 4x3=12.  Four columns of three = twelve. If you want 6, then it's span2 and you repeat it 6x because 2x6=12.

You added this as CSS, but that's the wrong way to do it.  Here's how to do it.

In your page, add a TextArea in a full-width section.  Add the code I provided above.

I don't know what you mean by naming the columns in the 3 column section.  Could you elaborate more?

#8 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

sure, this is a different problem, im making a different site on my localhost,  

1: i have an empty dms page with a header, template and a footer section.

2: i drag and drop a 3 column section to either of those...

3. i select the pencil at the top right corner of the first of the three sections

4: i give it a styling class name e.g. "mycol" 

5: i select the pencil at the top of the second of the 3 columns and give it a different styling class name e.g. "mycolagain"

6: at this point the styling class name "mycol" of the first column has been renamed to "mycolagain"

point is, whatever i do, a 3 section columns cant have a different styling class name, as soon as i rename any of the columns in the section, all of them get renamed to the same styling class name, the last styling class name i gave to any of them

Edited by capgras, 29 September 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#9 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

im downloading and reinstalling dms at this point, maybe it will clear it up

#10 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

nope, the problem is still there. 

#11 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

The problem isn't your DMS installation. It's a process issue.

When you go to the left column, and you add a name for the class (not the column), you have to save, then move on to the middle column, add the class name, then save again, and lastly, go to the right column and add the third class name. Save.  Now, refresh. 

#12 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

yeah its not that, i even considered i was making this mistake so i tried saving and even publishing during the naming process, its still the same... here, see for yourself i made a capture:  

Edited by capgras, 29 September 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#13 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

thanks for the column splitting, it works

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15249 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

The 2 Column Section like the 3 Column section are just predetermined columns, you can create as many columns as you like to a maximum of 12. All you need to do is drag and drop the Column section to your template, then decrease the width of the Column section to whatever, you like. Lets say 3/12, now click the clone button and this will create a clone of that section with the width you have selected. Keep doing this until you have your 4 columns.

If you want more than 4 columns, simply decrease the width of the Column sections again. Once you have your layout setup, now you can start to add your sections.

#15 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

thanks, but this is the free version dms forum as i understand, there is no clone option

#16 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15249 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:53 AM   Best Answer

OK, well the clone option only speeds up and simplifies the procedure, you can still do what I mentioned above. But will need to do this manually, as you have no clone option, so add a Column section, reduce its size, then add another, and another. Just rinse, repeat the process until you have the columns/layout you desire, then add your sections to these columns.

#17 capgras

capgras

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

thanks, this is a pretty intuitive process, sorry for bugging you with this, i could have figure this out on my own...

#18 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15249 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

No worries, if you're not sure, always ask, thats what we're here for.