Usage of Templates

Question

Posted · Report post

I've read that there are some issues regarding to templates, mainly the lack of saving in the WordPress CMS backoffice.

A huge issue for us is also the lack of template-names in de source code, so you can't refer to the templates in CSS easily (just like in the former PageLines Framework: works fine!)

Furthermore, our experience is that Templates do not behave as templates, but ofcourse maybe we are doing something wrong.

Key for templates (as far as we think...) is when you change the template, all pages using this template are changed immediately. In our experience, after we change a template, we have to assign the template to each page again, to make changes work on every page that uses this template.

In the documentation, a brief line is noted: `You can set a template to be site-wide from the same tab, using the Actions button´. When we open this Actions button, the only choice that could match is: `Set as Page Global Default´ which suggests (to us...) that this will change the standard, default template which is included in DMS by default. We did not try yet.

In the former PageLines Framework, you had to add specific new php files (page.XXX.php) to the Child Theme files, in order to add new templates for your theme. In DMS this is not needed? (for example in order to establish automatic changes apply to all pages that are assigned to the template maybe).

After the last update of DMS we have seen that a line is added in the front, when viewing the website 'Last Imported Tempate'. This is helpfull ofcourse.

Do we understand that since the latest update of DMS yesterday, each DMS install needs the "DMS Pro Tools Plugin" to function and update properly?

So 3 questions regarding to templates:

. when will it be possible to assign a template to a page in wordpress cms backoffice?

. when will the template name be added to the source code (body tag?)?

. what are we doing wrong regarding to changing templates and pages do not change, untill you assign this template again?

13 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

HI.

1. There is already a issue in our tracker regarding this. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide any ETA.

2. The same as above and unforunately, no ETA either.

3. Not entirely sure what you mean? If you create a template lets say "Awesome", when you create a new page you can assign the Awesome template to that page. You can also use the Action > Set as Page Global Default to set this as a the default template.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny for the prompt reply!

1. and 2., okay, quess we'll have to wait for this

3. Well, creating a new template (f.e. "Awesome") is no problem. Assigning the new template "Awesome" to pages also no problem. But when we change the template "Awesome" later, the changes are not visible at all the other pages that have the "Awesome" template assigned. So we have to assign again, per page.

Posted · Report post

Hi there, I can confirm this also happens when I test, have reported this on the bug tracker.

Posted · Report post

Excellent James B thought I was doing something wrong. Seems to me this is key for "templates" :-)

Can we follow this bug (tracker) at GitHub or someting?

To be sure: so we don't need to create specific php files (page.XXX.php) in the Child Theme folder in order to let custom templates function properly (like in the former PageLines Framework) ???

Posted · Report post

Hi perininero,

You can of course follow this issue via Github.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Erwan"] for your additional information. We will follow this at GitHub. Guess GitHub details are not published at this PageLines forum? For us this is not logical. In future we need to report 'bugs' at the PageLines channel at GitHub (@[member="James B) or is this staff only?

We think it's kind of strange that the first comment (2 months ago) of arpowers was "isn't a bug", but maybe we do not need to struggle about exact words. It's critical for templates to behave like templates... So to call it a "desire" of clients for DMS templates to act like templates is an understatement.

Anyway, keep up the good work all.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

perininero

1. I just can tell you anyone has access to GitHub and can submit "any kind of bugs, including but not limited to usability issues, errors and other DMS malfunctions" (quoting DMS documentation \ Getting Support). But only PageLines mods of this forum like James B"] or @[member="Danny can answer you about the best pratice for reporting issues on this tracker + how GitHub infos are relayed here.

Mods (and even PageLines devs sometimes) do relay them when necessary here according to my user experience and as you saw in this thread: but you can "watch" the DMS GitHub repo and have notifications if you wish and like I do.

2. The issue we discuss here (actually, the three ones you initially raised are important) is not only critical for templating: as a consequence, it's obviouly crucial for the whole DMS experience. This is why I answered you here + posted comments on GitHub, realizing that PageLines had not fully taken this huge issue in account: as you can see, it's now set to "High Priority" thanks to Danny.

Posted · Report post

Erwan thanks for the detailed reaction

1. We will focus and follow on GitHub more for now.

2. Exactly, crucial for DMS experience. Big thumbs up for you, James B"] and @[member="Danny for getting this to the High Priority level. Now fingers crossed for updates.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Do I understand James B"]@[member="Danny from GitHub https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/297 that these issues are not beiing solved? At least untill v1.2 or v1.3??? I hope I misunderstood the comments of PageLines/arpowers there...

Posted · Report post

As far as I can tell he is referring to a new system that will be included in 1.2. or 1.3, so you didn't misunderstand. If you have an opinion on this, please feel free to reply to the issue on the tracker. I have also re-opened the issue, not sure why the OP closed it.

Posted · Report post

Ok thank you Danny for your prompt reply and for re-opening the closed GitHub issue. Conclusion for now is that I need to post at GitHub (called tracker?) if I have any comments right? The conclusion in this forum is that 'we' see these issues as high priority for PL DMS.

Posted · Report post

I wanted to add that in the upcoming version 1.2, we are going to focus on this issue specifically... along with theming. So stay tuned, and work with us to get it right! :)

Posted · Report post

Thanks arpowers for this excellent confirmation! Always available for working with you! Any idea of ETA??

Furthermore, I believe we can make huge steps also regarding to correct usage of multi-language (WPML compatibility) when these issues are solved.