Photo
- - - - -

Do away with Local Scope, Make everything global scope.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 studioc5

studioc5

Advanced Member

• Members

• 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Dms needs to do away with the local scope region.  The Header and Footer are global scope regions wich means if I save a text box with text in this area, it will show up on all pages using the template.   But lets say I want to add a second sidebar to the main content area which is under local scope,  If I drop a widgetizer into a column and select a sidebar, when I save this template, all pages using this template will now show an emtyp widgetizer instead of the sidebar I selected.    You dms developers need to understand that we need the ability to make anything we desire to be global, in order to achive even the most basic concept of a left and right sidebar.

How can you globaly / permanantly place elements into the template area between the header and footer ?

#2 greenfly

greenfly

Advocate

• Members

• 3268 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

HI there - i moved this to Idea's & Feedback 

#3 globalnative

globalnative

Advanced Member

• Members

• 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

Is there any way to make a section appear by choice within certain pages and not within others? Trying to do that now, which is how I ended up here. I want to have a custom menu section in the template area. Thanks!

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16897 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

@globalnative

Unfortunately, not at the moment, unless you either create a separate template or use custom CSS. However, the CSS method is simply hiding the section from displaying, it will still be loaded and in your page source.

#5 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 471 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

@globalnative: yes, that's what page templates are for

#6 xcel7

xcel7

Advanced Member

• Members

• 49 posts
  • Framework Version:Wordpress Version: 3.8.2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

My problem is the same, I tried to use different templates and the result is the same with a category page: the changes I make on one page, local settings of course, appear on the other category page, with different local settings. It looks like we can't use local settings on a category page, is that right? So how can I manage a page with posts?

TIA for your answer,

Ines

#7 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 471 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

@xcel7, not sure if this will help, but you might want to try my plugin: http://www.pagelines...-type-template/

#8 xcel7

xcel7

Advanced Member

• Members

• 49 posts
  • Framework Version:Wordpress Version: 3.8.2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

thanks, but I don't think it will do the trick, setting differently two category pages.

#9 CliffordP

CliffordP

Advocate

• Members

• 471 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

I see.