Photo
Hero Nav

Add a title to mobile-menu?

Best Answer Evan Mattson , 16 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

1.2 was released today which adds several hooks for you to do things like add a title or other content, or change the icon/text for the mobile toggle button.

For now the source is your only how-to, but I plan on putting together a little tutorial on my website for it soon.

Cheers

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York
  • Framework Version:all

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

can I add a title to the mobile-friendly navigation, so that it appears to the left of the menu icon?

#2 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 206 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Framework Version:latest stable & beta releases

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hey @flourishdesignstudio,

Your the first person to ask about this, but I think it's a good idea.

I'm not sure if justifies another option, but I may add a filter for it.  Are you familiar with WP hooks & filters?

#3 flourishdesignstudio

flourishdesignstudio

Advocate

• Members

• 252 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York
  • Framework Version:all

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hi Evan! I've never used a hook, but it's been something that I want to learn if you can talk me through it. I already have a child theme created.

#4 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 206 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Filters are really cool.

It's basically like a checkpoint during execution.  Filters pass some information, and then generally asks "anyone else want to do something with this?", at which point you can :)  You can either add to it however you wish, or even change it completely.

Hooks & filters are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that filters require that you return some data back, where as actions don't do anything with a returned value.

There are many tutorials about how to use hooks and filters.  Perhaps I'll write one for betterdms.com :)

Stay tuned for an update.  The best way right now is probably just to follow me on twitter: @aaemnnosttv.

#5 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 206 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm replying here rather than the other thread for the sake of relevance.

I haven't decided if I will make an option for the toggle text or not.  I think it's probably better to make it filterable, and then you can make it however you want.

Regarding whether most people recognize that as indicating a menu is there... I think this has been embraced as an unspoken standard in a big way.

There are many big websites and mobile apps (facebook for example) that use this symbol to toggle a menu.  Two big websites that come to mind are starbucks.com and theonion.com.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to add a title/label next to it though.  The need for such a thing definitely depends on the audience of the website as well.

I'll post an update here when there is a solution :)

#6 Jake

Jake

Advocate

• Premium
  • 565 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi @flourishdesignstudio I agree with Evan, that's a great suggestion. In the meantime, you can start doing a little reading on the power of hooks at http://docs.pageline.../advanced/hooks which also links to a wonderful intro to hooks at http://wpcandy.com/t...ordpress-hooks/.

#7 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 206 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:12 PM   Best Answer

1.2 was released today which adds several hooks for you to do things like add a title or other content, or change the icon/text for the mobile toggle button.

For now the source is your only how-to, but I plan on putting together a little tutorial on my website for it soon.

Cheers

#8 micstepl

micstepl

• Members

• 143 posts
  • LocationVIE
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

Where can I find the HeroNav HOOKS?

#9 micstepl

micstepl

• Members

• 143 posts
  • LocationVIE
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Cheers

Where can I find the HeroNav HOOK tagt allows to put HEADLINE into Mobile header?

#10 Evan Mattson

Evan Mattson

• Members

• 206 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

@micstepl,

The hooks are documented in the source.  If you're on the current version (1.3 as of this writing) you will find these starting around line 355 in plugins/hero-nav/sections/hero-nav/inc/HeroNav.php.  You will find several hooks there that you may find useful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hero Nav