Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PinPost splitting lines mid-word

Question

Posted · Report post

When using pinpost, the title and excerpt are split mid-word.  http://www.ctrguns.com/gun-news/

Viewing in Google Chrome it looks fine.  However, the problem is when viewing in Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem.  I tried changing typography settings, but it did not fix problem.

Perhaps there might be some styling class code that could solve the problem?

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi,

What version of IE and FF ?

Posted · Report post

OS is Windows 7

Chrome ver 29.0.1547.76

IE ver 10

FF ver 24.0

Posted · Report post

Word-splitting was designed into PostPins because of a problem it experienced in its early life with word wrapping. Originally, it took a word that didn't fit and moved it to the next line, leaving large empty gaps.  The hyphenation of the words allows the text to remain a block and look justified.   The only other way of doing that was to force a resize of text which would have rendered the text block unreadable if there were a long word.

Surprisingly, this can be adjusted by using PostPin's settings for padding or spacing between columns. However, what you see on your screen will be very different than what's seen on someone else's.  I recommend minimizing the spacing anyway, but not eliminating it, lest the pins overlap.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So how come it works fine in Google Chrome, but it doesn't work in other browsers?

Firefox:

[attachment=1582:firefox.JPG]

Chrome:

[attachment=1583:chrome.JPG]

Edited by pagelinescountrysurvivalcom

Posted · Report post

Hi, the reason it varies from browser to browser is simple.  Each handles CSS differently.  A font can, for example, be a little larger in one browser, causing the pixel width to cause wrapping.  Padding too, can be affected by browser rendering.  The width of a pixel can vary from browser to browser, from monitor to monitor.... so what you're seeing is perfectly normal.

Posted · Report post

I tried various fonts AND sizes, all with the same result.  So then why not just wrap the word instead of the letter?

Posted · Report post

Hello Johnny

I will pass on your suggestion to the developers.