Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Get the footer to stick to the bottom of the page

Question

Posted · Report post

I am trying to get the footer to stick to the bottom of the page when in a browser stretched taller than the content of the page. It looks great on pages that have plenty of content, but for the splash page, it shows the BG image below the footer as well.

What it looks like in a larger browser: [attachment=1568:Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 5.04.09 PM.jpg]

What I want it to do when in a larger browser: [attachment=1569:Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 5.04.18 PM.jpg]

(Stick to the bottom of the page when the content does not exceed the browser height)

Any ideas?

Site: therefinerychurch.org

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hey Rob, I tried putting it in the custom CSS and it still is not sticking to the bottom on larger browsers...

Posted · Report post

Jacob,  I'm not sure why.  That CSS shouldn't be affected by the browser/monitor size.

You may need a developer for this.  Unfortunately, I'm not one (wish I were in these cases).

Posted · Report post

Rob, I promise you that when I tried it the first time it did not work... but I tried it again today and it did! 

Ha, I have no idea what I did wrong, but it is working great now. Thank you!  :goodjob:

Posted · Report post

Hi Jacob,  I'm so happy it worked!  Likely, it was caught in a cache, and when the cache processed/renewed, the change was implemented and became visible.  The mysteries of the Net, or as my generation called it, the ghost in the machine.

If you have a cache plugin, and you make changes to your site, make sure to use the plugin's settings to clear the cache so that you can see the changes immediately, and then refresh your browser.  This will help you in future. :)

Posted · Report post

I appreciate it Rob. Would you or anyone else happen to know how to adjust the code so that the footer only sticks to the bottom when it is not interfering with other content?

Posted · Report post

Jacob,

Now you're getting into dangerous territory.  Essentially, you're asking for 'conditionals', which will require custom coding by a developer.  By 'conditionals' I mean that you're setting up a scenario where under certain conditions, X is done and under others, it's not.

Posted · Report post

Then I will run far from this scenario, and work with it being fixed. Thank you for the warning, Rob.

Thank you!

Posted · Report post

You're very welcome Jacob!