Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Backup - Development - Live Site - Client Use

Question

Posted · Report post

I realize these seem like different topics but they all ultimately effect the client so stick with me...

What is the easiest and most complete method of backing up DMS, including the WP database and all the information in the DMS sections...heros, highlights, text boxes, etc?

What are some methods being used to develop DMS sites "offline/locally" or with a demo site and then moving it to the client?

In developing a new contract to use with clients I'm trying to think this through and would appreciate feedback.   With a developers package you can design an unlimited number of sites, host them or let the client host their own, all with one license key.  Correct?  Then if as the developer, I cancel my PRO membership all pro features on every site with that license stops working.  Correct?  However, if I was going to have the client have their own subscription to DMS then they/we would need to repurchase every section tool we need from the store just for that client.  Correct?  So it would be important to say in a contract that if the relationship ends the client will be responsible for purchasing and maintaining any subscriptions, tools or plugins necessary to maintain there site.

There are instructions in the docs for how to turn off design access for a client.  Does doing that turn off the clients access to updating text boxes, heros, highlights, etc?  Does it turn access to those off for everyone?

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

The wp-config will be safe from theme updates. The editiing options for the various sections will still remain, only the account tab and store/karma panels will be affected.

Posted · Report post

Hi jmad -

There are a lot of backup plugins out there both free and pay versions - but otherwise I think a good backup involves two steps. First you want to run the default WordPress Tools - Export and download all of the database content. Next step would be to navigate to the DMS visual editor to Global Options - Import/Export and download everything there.

For offline development, see http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress_Locally_on_Your_Mac_With_MAMP and more resources at http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Installation_Techniques.

You are correct, a Developer level account gives you unlimited site activations under a single key. If you were to cancel your account, those same sites would then show a credit link in the footer. Otherwise, the sites themselves will not cease to function at all - but you won't have the ability to access the Pro features for editing purposes, and your access in the forums would be limited as well.

There are options for locking the visual editor down for everyone, just admins, and even specific users via wp-config. See here for a step by step implementation. http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/lockdown-visual-editor.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Posted · Report post

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Jake -

What about the account tab in the PL Bar.  Does that stay, could a client deactivate their account?  Also, what about the store if I client clicked on buy where are they directed, could they put in their credit card thinking they were buying something for themselves but be buying for me as it appears my credit card information is retained there.

Posted · Report post

Jake

Never mind about the store.  I was logged into my pagelines account so that's why it was automatically directing me there.  I think it would be nice to be able to limit client access to that account and store page...maybe

On the limiting access for users, can you turn off access to the design tools...adding and deleting sections but leave access to editing what is in the text boxes or heros, for example?

The instructions for limiting access, that is something I need to do on the host side in the WP install and not something within the WP admin or PL Editor, correct?

Posted · Report post

Hello Jason 

I suggest using a child theme to make your changes on and you can see the instructions on how to make the lockdown to the visual editor below

http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/lockdown-visual-editor 

Posted · Report post

Sorry, really new to wp and DMS.  Why a child theme and for what changes?  In DMS, I've been using the custom CSS/Scripts add any specific formatting.  To access  wp-config.php do I go to appearance>editor or do I log into my host and make the change there. 

Posted · Report post

Hi,

A child theme may be used for Custom Code, modified sections, modified languages, hooks and other things.

Your wp-config.php is edited via FTP.

Posted · Report post

Got it.  Will that change to the wp-config.php be safe from change during a WP update?   Also, does it take away all editing capabilities of iboxes, text boxes, etc...I'd like for the client to be able to edit their message in those areas but not change the layout.